I had a complete hysterectomy done in Aug 2010. I think I suffered in the months following the surgery more that I did from what caused me to have the surgery in the first place. I was in so much pain and such long term heavy bleeding that I did not even think about a second opinion.From this experience I have learned that as women we need to ask questions and speak up for ourselves! I didn't ask all the pertinent questions about after the surgery. If I had all the answers, I would have never had that surgery done. I would deal with the bleeding. I have gained so much weight especially in my mid section it is disgusting!What makes it worse is that I have chronic, severe asthma and I basically live on Prednisone. It is heartbreaking and very discouraging! I thought I finally had the asthma under control and was off of the steroids.Well the joke was on me because in one week of being back on them, I have the moon face, I can see all at the bridge of my nose is so swollen it looks as if I was in a fight. I got on the scale today and couldn't stop crying. It took me 6 1/2 weeks to lose 5 lbs and in two days I gained it all back. I eat very healthy! I do a lot of juices (raw foods) in the vitamix, I cook in very healthy ways, I drink mainly water, other drinks are herbal teas, I use soy and almond milks which are non dairy. I use agave nectar in place of sugar. I use nothing white or refined. Yet this is so incredibly hard. I am at my wit's end here. I hate the way I look, I have nothing that fits or looks right and the worse is the way people stare at you because the assumption is always that because you are overweight you must obviously be an over eater. Most articles or blogs or even tv shows about weight loss all talk about weight loss as simple as cut your portions and move. As I stated above there are many other causes to weight gain that no one addresses.

Hello gail3162281230, my name is Erendira I'm from Mexico and I'ave had asthma for 15 years, I have catamenial asthma which means that every time I get my period a get a strong asthma attack lots of times it leeds to emergency hospitalisation. The las past year the drs have been telling me to get a complete hysterectomy says that if a I don't have a period my symtoms will go down, one of the Drs. has doubts on this option, I don't know what to do because I keep taking large amounts of predisone which as you know it has horrible side effects. I read your message and it puts me more in doubt about the operation. Why did you have the operation? Was it because of your asthma or something else? Do you know of other cases that had the operation and their outcome? Thank you for posting your experience.

Hi, did you have this op and did it improve your asthma. I'm in the same boat and due to have this op.

Thanks

Did you get diagnosed with asthma after your hysterectomy? I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I only have one ovary. I did not have bleeding problems. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed 5 months of living pain free. But, I noticed I started to feel tired and sleepy in the 4th month and it got worse. I had cognitive problems as well. Finally, I was diagnosed with asthma. I went in with 77% oxygen and that first steroid shot opened me up to 88% and having energy. Yes, my body has taking its toll from the steroids and prednisone. I get the moon face every time I have to get on prednisone I feel your pain. But, I wondered if the asthma came about immediately after your surgery. My sister also had a hysterectomy at about the same age I had mine and initially was diagnosed with asthma but then it turned out to be a thyroid problem. She is somewhat better but also struggling with having to depend on steroids. I've encountered 4 other women who also have complained of having a hysterectomy and then being diagnosed with asthma. Obviously there is a correlation.