New Reply New Topic Followed by 25 people

I'm suffering from anal stenosis following hemorrhoid surgery (8 weeks now). My surgeon has told me that this problem is serious and that I must (or have someone else do it for me) manually dilate myself in order to pass normal size stool. Right now I pass stool no wider than the size of a dime.

I've been doing this everyday for the last three weeks. While there is slight improvement (less burning during bowel movement / slight thickening of stool), my surgeon isn't satisfied with my progress and has now told me that scar tissue has started to develop. If this continues, fibrous tissue could develop and I'd need surgery again (which, he explained, it more painful than the hemorrhoidectomy!!!!)

Has anyone else had this problem / treatment? Any success stories out there? Any tips / suggestions to recommend?

Thanks. I can use all the help I can get.

Jubilant

It's been about 6 weeks since my surgery and my stool has been thin also. My doctor has asked me to change my diet -- from drinking prune juice with fiber added to just drinking water with fiber added. He says that this should make my stool bigger. I will start trying the new diet tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

I'm glad that he hasn't mentioned an additional surgery to go through. He has also mentioned manually dilated the anus with my finger and some lubrication. He did that for me while I was at his office and it really hurted. Definitely not something I want to do, so I will try the new diet he prescribed instead.

Hope this helps.

My surgery was 6 weeks ago now and I am constantly in pain trying to go to the toilet. I have kept my motions at diarrhoea level to avoid any more trauma to my poor bottom but now I believe I have developed Anal Stenosis which will not allow anything firmer through. It is extremely depressing and I am sick of screaming with pain every time I go to the toilet! Our sex life is zilch! I am loathe to go back and be cut even more and be off work for even more time but something needs to be done. I cannot go on like this forever. I was interested that your surgeons suggested self dilation. That has not been suggested to me but even getting a suppository in is extremely painful so I don't know how I would go with that. Has anyone had the surgery to correct the scar tissue? How did it go?

Donna, why not go back to the surgeon and
ask him to do something ?

I am not sure if Lord's procedure can be used for
anal stenosis.

Otherwise he may have to do some corrective
surgical procedure to enlarge the anal canal.

donna26 wrote:

I had hemorrhoidectomy 5 weeks ago and I am still not able to have a normal bowel movement without pain. My stools are still about the size of my pinky. My doctor recently recommended that I use my finger to stretch out the muscles since I have developped anal stenosis. In addition to that, he gave me a dilator to use 2x a day and prescribed me lidocaine to ease the pain while i dilate myself. It is a very painful procedure. He did advise me if that doesn't work I'd need to have a 2nd surgery done to correct the scar tissue. I have been using the dilator for 3 days now with very little progress. I am trying not to have another surgery as i heard it's more painful than hemorrhoidectomy. I stopped drinking prune juice, only taking fiber supplement, drink lots of water to keep my stools firm.

Well my surgery was performed 6 months ago, and no doctor has been able to diagnose what my problem seems to be. I have been through a lot of medical exams to determine what its causing my problem since I'm not able to go to the bathroom without laxatives and what is even worst I can't seem to evacuate enough so I'm always with stomach cramps.

Hi everyone,

I had piles for 9 years. About 2 years ago, I was suggested from a surgeon from Massachusetts to use Hydrocortisone cream 2.5%. This cream should be applied to your piles 3 times per day. You can get the cream from your nearest pharmacy without prescription and it is very cheap (in Macedonia is only 1 Euro).

I bet this helps you!

I had surgery 10 days ago and have been experiencing the "typical" pain. My problem is that the softeners make things liquidyand uncontrollable. So I had to stop those. I eat a lot of fibrous foods and now I have several BMs per day (fun) with a little blood. But I also have a thin brownish discharge between times. How long does this last? I have gone through so many pads. I think my bowels are still not right and the stools are not yet solid.
The sitz baths help but then I relax and feel like I have to have another bm so I start all over.
I, too, have been through many surgeries and this is the worse. Fortunately, I have been told by many that my surgeron is the best so hopefulley this is all normal. I see him again in a few days and boy-do I have a lot to ask.

I had the surgery 16 days ago. I too was like you. At the 8 day mark I was still in extreme pain. Sitz baths where of only little help. I ended up waking up on that early Saturday morning with an 101.5 fever. Went to the emergancy room in the morning. They prescribed me antibiotics which my surgeon did not. Well, about 24 hours later all pain subsided. My discharge as you where saying you had which I had, disappeared. If they are fowl smelling be seen immidiately, this is a sign of infection. No, at day 16 I am for the most part pain free. Stools are pretty normal for the most part, of course I'm still on a fiberious diet. I go about 4-5 times a day in the morning hours. I think this is more in part that I am not prone to push now and only go small amounts at a time. I am yet affraid to try dialation as I have read that this helps. I think I will wait until the doctors exam internally to see how the pain level is. But if there is any discharge after day 7 as per my surgeon this is not normal. Get it checked out. Hope this helps. There is an end in sight. I'm glad I went through with it, at first I wasn't, the pain levels the 1st week was unbearable. Little if no sleep and drugged up all the time to just get sleep. Now I'm pain free, discharge free and blood free. I'm loving it plus my doctor gave me a month off of work!

Guest wrote:

g

Can you let me know what type of surgical proceedure you had, as i'm considering the same thing but based on what i've been reading i'm not sure. any more info would be great.

I have had hemorrhoidectomy 6 days ago. It has not been pleasant. My doctor actually told me I could return to work the day after surgery if I wanted to; he was new to me, maybe this was a joke. Anyway, I took off the part of the week before Christmas that I didn't have (3 days) because I know from other surgeries I have had before, anesthics are not nice to me. I am supposed to go back to work tomorrow and I don't see it happening. I go a few hours being okay and then it's like my intestines start swelling and I am miserable; unable to pass gas, evacuate, or relieve the general feeling of being badly constipated. I know I should not be straining when using the bathroom, but that is the only way to get any motion and then it is very limited. The only relief I seem to get is when I strap a towel between by legs to apply pressure to the entire area. My doctor said that the pain meds can make the constipation problem worse, but I can barely seem to get through the 3-4 hours with the meds, much less think about going without them. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow. In the mean time, I appreciate the post I have read. I am asking my daughter to buy a few things at the store; in particular fiber to add to the water I am drinking. I am also going to try the stretching of the anal area with a lubricant and . . . something; it is painful, but I don't want to risk getting stenosis as some have described. I think I will try the cortisone too as it helped with swelling when I had a bad case with the hemorrhoids before the surgery. Right now I am not sure I appreciate the surgery, I lived with the hemorrhoids and symptoms for years and only sought more treatment when the problem with leakage and pain became a constant problem. I hope I am wrong; I hope this surgery will be worth it in the end!

Hi guys! How are you all been doing? I can also feel all your pain. I had hemorrhoidectomy on Aug 2, 09. Five months had past and I am still in pain. When I went back to my doctor, he diagnosed me with anal fissure. He said that my anal sphincter constracted because of pain at the site. Also, he adviced me to take colace 3x a day and citrucel 2x a day plus increase my consumption of water (8 glasses a day) and fiber from fruits and vegetables just to make my stool very very soft so the fissure could heal. However, I couldn't follow all such rules religiously and whenever I eat meat and chocolate my stool gets firm and hard to pass. Again, I would tear my anus and pain comes back for days. Furthermore, my doctor said that if things won't improve I have to undergo another surgery to cut a portion of my anal sphincter. I don't want to go back to surgery because of fear of incontinence. How did you managed the anal stenosis? Thanks so much for sharing ur stories.

Also, I do sitz bath with salt 2 or more times a day and it always gives me a relief.

I also was diagnosed with anal stenosis. I had a hemorrhoidectomy 5 months ago. I still have blood every bowel movement because my anus won't dilate that much. It just opens up to a diameter of a pencil. Any advice will really be appreciated. Thank you.

I appreciate reading your posts and thank you for taking time to share for those looking for some answers/support. I had the hemmie surgery 9 days ago and had asked the Dr. for a script for lidocaine cream which helped a lot along with the percocet and ibuprofen. Some of you may want to try that. I didn't realize what a long recovery this would be and had expected to be back to work yesterday but Dr. would not release me until I see him Monday. I don't have the stenosis problems some of you describe but do have the cramping and frequent stools, quite a bit of bleeding still, am using 4 ibuprofen and 2 percocet/day and the lidocaine 2 times/daily - doing a lot of laying around reading. I miss being active and excercising but after reading your posts know that I better just take it easy or will have further problems.

Regarding the Lidocane I've been using a 2% gel with minimal results. So if you do ask your doc for it, I'd suggest requesting 5% cream.