New Reply New Topic Followed by 22 people

Oh my gosh. I was just searching the symptoms (as I am experiencing them right now) and found this blog. I often have an extra heart beat hear and there, but today it started about two hours ago, accompanied by the burping, and I became a bit scared. My sister has the same thing and has been put on a heart monitor many times, only to be told everything is "just fine". Even after hearing that, it's hard to believe it's nothing when your heart skips (or supposedly it's an extra beat that just feels like a missed beat) that hard and that often.

I did have some nuts today and noticed above someone mentioned nuts can cause these symptoms. I am definitely going to cut out the nuts and see what happens.

Nice to know there are others with this problem and I'm not alone...

I have put up with pretty much the same symptoms for over 35 years.  That is, belching coinciding with rapid heart beat and general discomfort and anxiety.  Most episodes lasted about 15 minutes and occur almost daily.   They would stop as fast as they began with the heart rate dropping to half what it was during the episode.   I recently discovered that a modest magnesium supplement (250 mg) per day seems to ameliorate the symptoms.  The episodes are less frequent and last for less than a minute.  I have read where it estimated that about 80 percent of persons over 60 are deficient in magnesium.   Magnesium is a necessary co-factor for hundreds of enzymes and for muscle control including heart muscle.  If anyone here tries a magnesium supplement let us know if helps. 

I have the same symptoms of belching, nausea, and tachycardia.  I've been diagnosed with Autonomic Neuropathy.  It is a nerve condition that doesn't allow clear signals to be sent from the brain to the vital organs.  In some people it affects the heart, digestive system, bladder, and sweat glands.  This is the last test that doctors usually order when they are totally stumped.  Dizziness is also a symptom.

i have many of the symptoms you have, ie belching fast heart beat that skips..i will skip just 1 heart beat and then followed by a buping fit and a sence of anxiety...but which is more interesting is that i also have problem with my lower back and shoulers also you talking about co exposure, i went on a plane trip just resentley and felt awlful.. thinking i was going to have a heart attack, could not get my breath, heart skipping, diarareea,, when we landed i was fine again... now am stating to get musculaer problems, weak legs, easy pulled mucsels, joint pain,still in my 30tees, had blood test for everything under the sun... no use taking to gp, they have ran out of ideas.....although it could be realated to small intestine, as i had colonoscopie, in which i had to flush out my system and fast for a hole day (like detoxing in a way), and felt great for about a month after???maybe bulid up fo toxins which get in to the blood though the small intestine

megahertz6970 wrote:

This has been going on for a very long time.
I belch constantly, even upon arising in the morning. My heart skips constantly to coincide with the belching. If the belching stops, my heart stops the skipping mania. I was diagnosed with PVCs many years ago, but this is ridiculous. When my heart skips, I now also have blood pounding in my ears. Every night when I lay down to sleep, the blood also pounds in my ears.
I was in fits around noon today and drove over to the Instant Care Center. While waiting, my heart stopped its skipping and the belching stopped. Nothing showed up as abnormal on my EKG and they took 3 vials of blood, said everything was within normal limits and also checked for what the doctor called "heart damage." I came back home with a piece of paper that said to stop caffeine. And upon my return, the belching and skipping commenced again with ferocity.
My GP has talked about the "vagus" nerve (unsure about spelling). I am still skipping and belching as I write this. It's not food related or I wouldn't wake up with it. Whether my stomach is seriously empty or seriously full doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.
Any clues? This is driving me insane. Why did it STOP COMPLETELY for 2 hours today and then start up again when I got home? Don't tell me it's stress because this comes and goes, yesterday I had no incidents until 3 a.m. rolled around... I wish I knew because it's driving me insane, I belch on nothing and if I eat anything, I can taste it, even if it's a banana or a piece of bread... tried Gas X, Rolaids, librax, milk, pepto bismol, pepcid, nothing helps.

I had the same thing for a long time. I don't have a gallbladder, but I did have a very beat-up vagus nerve.
Bad digestion runs in my family. Mine is the worst. I had to go see a gastroenterologist before I got well. Basic doctors will give you meds, but I had bad reactions to all of the strong ones. The gastro guy actually helped me heal without meds. The problem is that your vagus nerve is in your esophagus. When your esophagus gets beat up from digestive acids backing up into it, the nerve gets exposed. If the nerve spasms strong enough, it feels like a heart attack. Also, your heart races like no tomorrow.
The things that trigger lots of acid are: any food you have trouble digesting, stress. What makes acid back up: all the prior stuff, plus eating regular food more than three hours before bed, or eating and then being stationary afterward (in a car, at a desk. laying down is the worst).
It took months, but my gastro guy broke it down into two goals:
1) Fix the recurring problem. Encourage digestion by: Avoiding foods I have problems digesting (corn). Eat small meals. Chew very, very well. Take digestive (papaya) enzymes. Take gas x after a meal, not an antacid (if my stomach doesn't have enough acid to digest the food, the food sits in my stomach and ferments. Only take antacid on an empty stomach, an hour before bed).
2) Give my esophagus time to heal by: a) Raising the head of my bed by a few inches. My esophagus was so beat up that the sphincter at the bottom didn't close any more. When I laid down, the acid simply ran back up from my stomach, and ruined it more. b) Don't eat any closer than three hours before bed, and make sure I MOVE instead of tv or computer time. This makes sure that my stomach is empty by bedtime. c) Take a mild antacid like Pepcid or Zantac, an hour before bed. Lack of food and the antacid, will keep your stomach from making problems while you're laying down. d) Give it enough time to heal. It'll take a few months for your body to regrow the lining of your esophagus. That lining is what protects the Vagus nerve. If the lining is shot, the nerve will be unprotected. When the nerve has a chance to heal, the burping will calm down.
If you need something besides Pepcid, try Mylanta or Pepto Bismol RIGHT before bed. Don't rely on them if you ate before bed, though. It'll coat your esophagus all right, but it'll just keep the food from digesting and the problems won't show up until later. Like the middle of the night. Trust me on that one.
It sounds like a lot of work, but I don't take any meds at ALL, now. Yeah, I eat dinner earlier, but it's worth it.

Quote:

I have had this same problem (belching/heart palpitations) for the last 4 years. I thought it was a stomach/digestive problem and explore that area extensively with many different doctors. I underwent all kinds of tests and try many different medications to no avail... I got to the point where my doctor "suggested" that it may be "anxiety" and "stress" (isn't that always the easiest disgnosis to give a woman when doctors can't figure out what you have????). I was prescribed antacids and sent on my merry way... Needles to say I never went back to that doctor... A year ago a had a mild heart attack where they found a totally blocked artery (not a main one, thankfully) and although my heart did not suffer any permanent damage, I had to undergo an angioplasty and two non-medicated stents were inserted in the artery that was blocked. By that time, I started making a connection between my heart and the constant belching. I went home and started my precribed medication - Toprol, lipitor, aspirin and Effient. After three months on these drugs I was feeling lousy and the belching and bloating was out of control. I "fought" with my doctor until he relented to take me off them after six months (not the "at least a year") as he had originally suggested. He was against this, but sometimes we know our bodies better than anybody else. I did a extremely thorough research and I decided to wean off all medication and change my life completely. I started exercising 6-7 days a week, started following a vegan regime (I was a ovo-lacto vegetarian before and I ate lots of dairy and eggs), so for me was not that big of a change. I am happy to say that I lost almost 25 lbs and my cholesterol went down 40 points (dairy and eggs were the culplit!) in just 5 months. All that was great but my belching and palpitations continued, not as severe as before, but I still have occasional attacks were I start belching even before I get out of bed. Having food in my stomach or not, does not make a difference. I have also try to cut out some foods to test their effect on my bloating and belching, for so far I know is not wheat, soy products or tree nuts (only peanuts worsen my condition a little bit) I have never thought that you mention in your post - Aspartame - could be a posible cause of this condition. I regularly drink Snapple diet iced-tea and have an occasional diet coke. I also use Splenda on my coffer and eat "diet" and "sugar free" foods where aspartame is used as a sugar substitute. I am most definitedly will try cutting out all aspartame out of my diet to find out if that could be the culprit. Thank you very much for your post!!! :-D

Just read your post which is a year old.....if you are still suffering you may be interested in ranitidine in form of Zantac. I have suffered from the condition for at least 10 years and have at last found the answer. I took night and morning for first three days and then whenever there is the first twinge of warning I take one......many days not required at all...last meal finished by 6pm....if peckish during evening fruit...cooked bananas etc.
For me I believe condition linked with hiatus hernia.

I have ridiculous belching/heart palpitations/heart racing and have decided it is not just one thing but many.
I am a type A and I have a lot of anxieties which in many cases can exacerbate and even cause your symptoms. Prayer and meditation...wish I could get myself to slow down and do both!
You need to make sure it is not a food allergy.  KEEP a Food Journal...royal pain..but you must just to make sure it's not some crazy additive you are alergic to.
*Go to the forum:  Asktheneurologist.com.  There is amazing stuff about how your vagal nerve can be the culprit and cause problems w/heart.
*I have noticed my problems are worse after eating...and mostly at night...and I believe it is because you are laying down...food comes up...so get a pillow wedge.  I didn't think I could sleep with one but with pillows under your stomach (soft one) it works.  You can find a way to make it work.
*Wasn't it socrates that said "Let food be your medicine" ???  Yeah...i think eating fruits and vegetables (watch out for the gassy ones because peas for instance will exacerbate Irritable bowel and give you gas!)  Salty foods...no good!!
*Like the one guys said...if there is a lot of gas in the stomach...it can push up and put pressure on the heart causing palpitations.
*Check and see if Low magnesium can be the problem--Hiatal hernia or Anemia...check this out...can also cause palpitations.
*Low or High levels of potassium can really do crazy things to your heart.
*Menopause can really mess with your hormone levels and cause palpitations.
*My doc put me on Atenolol and flecanaide because he said I have Atrial Flutter.  I am still struggling with this because I know it is food related.  You have to be your own advocate...yes...listen to the doctors but do as much research as you can.
*I have a stomach emptying problem (gastroperesis) which means I can't eat within 6 hours of laying down if it's a heavy meal.
(DON'T drink water after a heavy meal if you have gastorperesis.  The water just flows right back up to your esophogus and is acidy)
IF you are constipated and have gastroperesis..mercy..

*My homeopathic doc told me that when under a lot of stress your body..(in order to protect your heart) will nearly shut down your digestive system.. and cause all kinds of problems. Your heart and stomach are VERY closely linked...so what affects your stomach will def affect your heart.  I had H-pylori at one time and had racing heart and belching from that alone.  MUST test for that.  You would be surprised.  Simple blood test.  It went away after simple treatment.
*Exercise...HUGE...you must do this.  Will solve a lot of your problems.  Period
*You should try a REALLY good probiotic (esp if you have just taken antibiotic) every single day.  For some reason I can take anything with palm oil in it so the Pearls probiotic doesn't work.  I like PB8 and even drugstores will sell you probiotics but they must be refridgerated.  Take PLAIN yogurt (lowfat if you have high cholesterol) and that works GREAT.
I pray that this in some way helps some one.  
Still searching.

To make a long story short, i have the exact same symptoms, and have also had carbon monoxide poisoning, was very sick for about 4 yrs. had to take 3-4 anxiety pills a day, if it wouldn't have been for the pills i don't know what i would have done, i too was very weak, couldn't get out of bed for almost a yr. and a half, was rushed to the hospital 4 times for what i thought was a heart attack, the Dr's kept telling me there was nothing wrong, my heart was fine, i'm still sick to this day, but nothing like i was, now i'm getting checked for a hiatal hernia, please look up the symptoms of hiatal hernia, believe me it will cause a lot of problems too!!! After i find out if i do have one, i will post again, maybe this will help someone out !

megahertz6970 wrote:

Every one on here needs to read up on the symptoms of a hiatal hernia, it may help a lot of you, these all are some of the same symptoms, and a hiatal hernia can press on the vagus nerve, all of it can cause a lot of problems!!! I could tell you more, but it would just be easier to go read up on it!! I hope this will help some of you!!!!

Hi there :) I know this was a year or more ago, but you may come back and others may find this upon a search (as I did). So, here's my story and an answer for you.

You asked why this stopped at the hospital and started again when you got home. If you're like me, the PVC's (or PACs...the symptoms are exactly the same and I have both. Most people do to varying degrees)... anyway, the PVCs stop when your heart rate elevates. So, going to the urgent care could have raised your heart rate and the arrhythmia went away temporarily.

This is a good sign, actually. If you have the arrhythmia when your heart rate is elevated, that might be cause for a concern. This is why doctors do the stress test. I had one on a treadmill 20 years ago in my early 20's. The arrhythmia was only present as my heart returned to a resting rate.

I do think the vagus nerve has a lot to do with things. And, since the nerve runs past most of the organs in the body, to include the intestines and stomach, digestive issues can affect heart rhythm. Therefore, PVCs and PACs are often not a sign or heart trouble but of digestive or other issues. Of course, they can be and should be checked out if they are severe or are accompanied by other symptoms such as shortness of breath and lightheadedness. The problem, of course, is that these abnormal rhythms (not actually a skipped beat but a premature one followed by a stronger than normal one) can CAUSE stress, which can cause symptoms. You must be the best judge of your own health. Listen to your body. And, listen to the doctors if they tell you all is well with your heart.

And then, seek answers. :) Here's what I have found:

1. Magnesium. 200-400 mg a day. Since I started taking it, my PVCs and PACs have decreased in severity enough that I can relax. And, when they do occur, they don't feel as strong. I don't feel them in my throat. Those of you who suffer from them will know what I mean by that!

2. Eat. But not too much. I have found that if I skip a meal or over eat, the irregular beats increase. I think the first has to do with electrolyte imbalance, the second with digestive issues and the vagus nerve.

3. Exercise. If you are not having the rhythms while you exercise, you don't have to worry that you will die of a heart attack while doing it. I know you have worried. We all do. But, a stronger heart is a healthy heart. Ease your mind a bit (and your stress, which IS a factor) by knowing that your heart is strong and can handle a little flippity floppity now and then :)

4. Salt. There was a time when I was on the bandwagon of no salt. My arrhythmia were horrible then. Since adding salt back into my diet, the arrhythmia got better. salt (along with magnesium, potassium and calcium) are electrolytes. Your body, and your heart, need them. Just be sensible about amounts, and use a good quality sea salt that has not been refined beyond usefulness.

5. Water. Make sure you get enough of it. A good rule of thumb is to take your body weight in pounds, divide in half, and drink that amount in ounces. So, I am 160. I should be drinking 80 ounces of water a day (or 10 cups of water). If you drink coffee, alcohol, or live in a dry or hot climate or sweat, add another glass or two of water.

6. Wheat. I am not an anti-gluten fanatic. However, I have noticed when I eat bread, within an hour I am burping and having arrhythmia. Every single time. Now, whether that means I am gluten sensitive or what, I don't know. But, there is a definite correlation between wheat and the arrhythmia (and the burping suggests to me a digestive issue and the vagus nerve involvement). Try cutting out wheat for a few days and see what happens. Add it back in and see what happens. Listen to your body. Don't forget, there is a wide variety of other whole grains out there. Millet, quinoa, rye, buckwheat groats, whole oats, etc. And, provided you are not gluten sensitive, even whole wheat is fine. Try buying wheat berries, kamut, farro, etc., and cooking them like a hot cereal or adding them to soups, etc.

Good luck and be healthy! :)

Lunazen, Thank you for your very informative post. I have the exact symptoms you mentioned, including the premature beat followed by a pause and then a hard beat (the hard beat is scary, more like a severe contraction, I call it the thump). I also have the fullness in the throat and the belching. I too noticed the relation to over eating and eating wheat. I have had a irregular heartbeat my whole life, but it goes away when I exercise. I have never had shortness of breath or lightheaded news, so besides the PVCs I think my heart is Ok. I eat a low salt diet but I may add some more sodium back and try the magnesium. I often find a banana calms me down quite a bit. Anyway, great post and advice, thanks.

Hyperthyroid is a possibility. Can cause anxiety, palpitations and often associated with burping.

I have similar problem - wore a halter monitor for 48 hours - had 2 occurrance and the only thing picked up was my heart rate increased to 1i00 I take metropol to slow my heart rate.

mostly feel this when Im walking - say its not my heart.

scared to go out walking

megahertz6970 wrote:

anyone..this post is 4 years old...I have gall bladder issues..and tried everything at 4am with the pain below my sternum. wanted to die. did baking soda, warm water, pepto bimal thinkin it was the 3 egg omlet from lunch (plain with toast)....3 beers at concert, then home had an apple, some french brie cheese and crackers, then a cup of walnuts and almonds to try to stay helthy..2 hrs later wake up with that pain and racing heart. I decided to find out what was going on at this great non commercial healing site "Earthclinic.com" I use for cholesterol and high Blood pressure. I checked around the site and found gall bladder attack..now 20 minutes ago I did one thing I read use a qaurter cup of "ACV-Apple Cider Vinegar" in about 8 oz of tap water..20 minutes ago feeling good enough to wrtite this...an hour ago was thinking of going to ER..glad I didnt. I did all the test a few years back for GB, and they keep saying.."Aw its fine", or You numbers look pretty good"..sometime you gotta take things into your own hand
good luck I am going back to bed..no more HIgh fat foods for me

Swallowing too much air. Had a massive panic attack once that left me fearing of getting another one like it. Began noticing that as I became anxious I would start swallowing more than usual, which, in turn, filled my chest with pressure from all the swallowed air.