i've been smoking weed for about 3 years. within the past year or less i have been coughing up little globs of black flehm. it usually happens after i smoke, but sometimes it can go on and off for weeks when im not smoking. i have to exhale until i hear crackling in my lungs and then 'hock' it up into the sink. am i gonna die because of this? i know its not a good thing, but is it a bad thing?

Is it a bad thing? You really need someone to tell you this?

OK

IT'S A BAD THING.

Stop smoking, weed and cigarettes, before it KILLS YOU.

That said, have a nice day! XD

This is completely normal. Think of urself like a pipe. Know the sh*t that stays? the res? Jus leavin a lil behind. U smoke a lot, so ur body can't clean out fast enough for u not to spit and see traces, the THC. If u can eat it in brownies and cookies... Def NOT, going to kill you.

Yeah, your both wrong, you are coughing up tar, left in the micro airways in your lungs.

All you are doing is coughing up the tar that is sitting in your lungs, the only negative effect there is from smoking cannabis, aside from carcinogens but that is basically the same territory, and will come from anything that you need use combustion to inhale.

If you want to continue smoking without these, I would suggest looking into vaporizers or as the other guest suggested if you just want the high, putting the THC in an edible or drinkable form. i.e. Cookies, brownies, and tincture

I have only coughed tar up when taking breaks and when I had a form of bronchitis, but I love cannabis enough to accept this slight after effect.

yeah resin is tar so thats what u r coughing up, no it wont kill u, thats why they give weed to cancer patients to help them, although it cant be too good for us to inhale the resin its still not half as bad as cigs.... atleast weed is natural... cig dont have resin no, but they do have rat poisin and nicotine and god knows wht else, weed i the only thing i smoke and the only thing i'll ever smoke

LOL there never has been and never will be a death from smoking marijuana, theres schools doctors even civillians who have been studing cannabis for ever its actually CURED CANCER before and they put the guy in jail for doing so.

WATCH THE DOCUMENTRY on RUN FROM THE CURE for all you people out there who hate on cannabis take a look at the good it

um you aree wrong. completey wrong i smoke bongs which means that no matter how hard i haul i cannot get burning pieces of weed into my lungs and i still cough up black flecs.

OK i am an actual Registered Respiratory Therapist, this is literally my profession. It is in fact tar from what people here are calling your micro airways (aka your bronchioles, more specifically your smallest ones which are your terminal bronchiolioles). IF it was in fact lung tissue i can assure you there would be blood and/or noticable symptoms along with it (shortness of breath, chest paint etc) because lung tissue doesnt just slough off like that especially not from long term thermal damage and tar buildup... that being said its still obviously not a good thing however it should eventually cease. Now long term smoking of any substance can still lead to things like chronic bronchitis where you could still be coughing up sputum for the restof your life, although if that was the case within a year or so maximum the black specks would at least disappear from it... If your getting any chest pains, shortness of breath on exertion (more then normal) feelings of pressure on your chest, coughing up blood or anything brown,yellow,green etc , then definitely go to the doctor.

I gotta agree with the pro... Try taking a bong rip with a piece of tissue in between the opening and your mouth. You will see all the tar that gets built up in your lungs... I only spit stuff up when i get sick and continue to smoke. I figure its from phlegm i have thats trapping the tar and thats what im coughing up. I could be wrong but it just seems to make the most sense. As far as death from marijuana... in 10,000 years of cannabis history there has not been one death or case of cancer associated with marijuana. Im not saying its not bad for you because obviously inhaling smoke is never good... but we can not even put herb in the same category as the more dangerous tobacco and alcohol. Try using a bong with more percolators, a vaporizer or just stick to edibles.

I am 17 have been smoking the ganja for about 4 years. and i can tell you all that YES it is resin that we are bringing back up. and dope (solid) is the worst for this. smoke green n' yes you will still get it but much less. AAND ANOTHER THING I WOULD LIKEE TO SAY IS. . . HOW CAN PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN SMOKE THE STUFF THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL. YOUS HAVNT GOT A CLUE LIKE !!! AND ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WEATHER BY HAVING THE RESIN IN OUR SYSTEM DOSE IT MEAN THAT WE ARE ALWAYS THE LITTLEST BIT STONED ????????? I MEAN YOU CAN'T FELL IT BUT IT HAS ME THINKIING. SOO . . . ANYONE ????? N' DON'T BOTHER REPLYING IF YOU ARE GANNA SAY ALOAD OF sh*t LIKE HALF THE MUPITS THTS BEEN TRYING TO SAY IT'S NOT RESIN. IF I AM WRONG PLEASE CORRECT ME

Why marijuana smokers cough up black phlegm and cigarette smokers do not:

The main thing going on here is the difference between bronchial dilators and constrictors. Tobacco is a bronchial constrictor whereas Cannabis is a bronchial dilator; this means smoking tobacco will tighten and close the pathways in your lungs where Cannabis will open them up. Nicotine constricts terminal bronchioles in lungs, which keeps tars trapped in the tissue. Its there these chemicals do their worst. THC and the chemicals associated with MJ are dilators. This allows the particulate matter (black mucus) etc., to be expelled, thereby eliminating their effects "on contact" with lung tissue. Anytime you smoke you’re going to have a presence of mucus.

For me MJ has a slight allergic reaction just like my everyday allergies. However it is this very bodily reaction that protects us from long term contacts with allergens, by allowing "matter" to be trapped and expelled. So, the "Black Phlegm" is a good thing.

It's clearly tar (resin) whatever you want to call it, and like the guy before said, its just like the tar in a pipe. It happens to marijuana smokers most often because they tend to hold the smoke in their lungs for as long as possible, allowing the smoke to cling to the walls of their troat and lungs. By no means is it good for you, it can cause cancer. I smoke weed, but don't listen to the propaganda that stoners put out saying that weed wont kill you..of course it can. Any combustable inhalant can. Educate yourself with reliable sources, which is sadly hard to find when talking about marijuana

this is hilarious i was deeply concerned with my "black spit" but now i feel much better thanx folks... im gonna go blaze now 8)

Guest wrote:

All of you are wrong, all it is is you have a mild chest infection

480,000 people die in the United States from tobacco use every year. 0 people have died from Cannabis throughout history. The black stuff means your body is doing its job expelling foreign mater from your lungs. Nothing to worry about... and everyone who said he would die or get cancer from smoking weed needs to stop perpetuating the lies they've been told. Do some research, you were lied to, it's safer than aspirin.