Ok, I was scheduled for hemorrhoidectomy on Thurs. March 19th, but I came down with a bad head/chest cold so they postponed until the 26th. I'm REALLY dreading having this done, after reading of all the problems and pain other posters have had.

a) Is it very dangerous in the long run to not get them removed? What can happen?

b) I've been told by two doctors that my 'roids are "huge". I have both internal and external 'roids. So is it worth the pain and hassle of the surgery if you're not actually in pain from the hemorrhoids? I have no pain, just bleeding at BMs and itching sometimes. More of a nusiance to me.

If it dangerous in the long run to not fix things, I definitely want to take care of it. If there's no danger, then I'm not so sure if I want to go through what everyone is describing.

I would not put it off if u really have what u said. Mine was not severe but my doc said the longer I wait I'm taking the chance of things getting worse and then surgery would be more complicated and recovery longer.
So I had mine for an external on March 13 and so far I'm doing well. I would say go for it and make sure your doc will prescribe the pain meds u will need and be in town to help you for the next 2 weeks after the surgery should u need it.

Cecilia

Hi DaveH2,

Like previously said by the guest, I'd say don't be afraid. I was PETRIFIED when I read most stories here. And, like you, I had a big external one and two internal ones (that the doctor "found out" on the operating room) and didn't feel ANY PAIN. Just the same blood sometimes coming out and some very very mild discomfort right after going to the toilet.

I did it and, although the pain was very very strong on the first 24hrs, it didn't seem I had surgery on the next day. I was amazed on how I reacted well compared to some stories here. Since you're also staying over at the hospital, I guess this first day will be like mine, and nurses will come to give you meds if you feel pain. These ease out the pain completely. Trust me. :-)

And, if you keep postponing the surgery, the only thing you'll know for sure is that they'll get bigger and they can start to give you loads of pain. So I'd say get over with it sooner than later. The worse condition they are, chances are the recovery process will be worse.

Hope this helps!! Go for it!!! Don't be scared!!! :-)

Lots of love! :-)

Cecilia and Britchick, thanks for the encouragement and observations...this helps me to not dread the procedure so badly, and I appreciate that. I'll update when things are over with. :-)

Ive posted some updates on my experiences since I had my surgery over two weeks ago. I think I definately answer your questions there. Just remember there is nothing pleasant about the problem or the solution to the problem, but its still best to take care of it. Hemorrhoids get worse over time.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Recovery_Time_For_Hemorrhoid_Surgery_t200822.html

I don't know that there are any real dangers other than pain and discomfort that would come from putting off the surgery. But I would just suck it up and get it over with. I won't lie, it's going to be a rough week after the surgery but well worth it in the end. Literally :-D Just be as prepared as you can be in reguards to meds and laxatives etc. I pretty much lived in my bathtub in the days following my hemorrhoidectomy. I had a huge external and three internals removed on FEb 27, 2009 and I am feeling about 90% recovered now. The only pain meds my doctor gave me were Darvacet because he said they are less likely to constapate.

Good luck

DaveH2:

Sounds like you need to get things taken care of, no doubt!!
Hems don't go away, they just subside and then come back with a vengeance. You can go years with no pain and just bleeding.
The problem comes the day you a get a major attack. By major I mean, you can't push it back in, it then gets it's blood supply cut off and the swelling can grow to the size of a lime (in my case) and the pain then becomes unbareable.
Short story......... back in Dec 2000 (age 44) I had my first surgery. It was truly he!!. The Doc took out 2 and left one! I had become constipated for the first 7 days after surgery. My doctor left for a 2 week vacation about 30 minuted after my surgery. He left me in the care of some other doctor I didn't know. This Doc prescribes a suppository that forced contractions of the area. Worst pain for 6 hours straight you could imagine. It wouldn't stop. You couldn't stop it! Back to hospital for enema. After 2 weeks most everything was back to normal. The Doc told me there was a good chance down the road we'd have to deal with the other one. That day has come!
Saturday March 1st, away from home, at an outdoor event for three days, the last one went on a rampage. It distended with the area cut off. Had to drive home the next day 4 hours. Not fun! March 3 it got much worse. It ruptured and I ended up in the emergency room. The Doc there said I pretty much gave my self a Hemmoroid operation. Well the didn't last. Come Thursday March 5 back the emergency room worse than ever. This time they knew I had an appointment with a "new" surgeon on 3-24, so they novacained the area, pumped me full of Morphine and pushed it back in. Real fun! Got in to see the surgeon the next day March 6. He takes a look and schedules the surgery for March 12. March 12 they operate and remove what and how many?? I don't know! The Doc comes in just as I'm coming out of the anesthesia and says something to me! I have no flippin idea what he said! Of course, he takes off for a 2 week vacation. Unbelievable!! Two doctors do the exact same thing to me after the most unpleasant experience in my 53 years of life!
Bottom line..... everone is different. The longer you wait the worse the recovery. Is it dangerous to do nothing and live with it?? Dangerous, no you probably won't die, but you'll darn wish you had taken care it before it got to be as bad as mine!!! And it "will get worse"!! Go get it done!