I am 46 and I was recentlz diagnosed with De Quervain's tendinitis. I would like if someone could tell me more about this condition. What are my treatment options?

DeQuervain's tendinitis is a painful problem which results from irritation of tendons on the side of the wrist. These tendons move the thumb sideways away from the palm. This can result in wrist and forearm pain on the side of the thumb, especially with certain positions and movements of the wrist. DeQuervain's tendinitis can develop for no clear reason and the problem is due to irritation of two tendons at a point where they run through a very tight channel from the forearm to the thumb. Many people are particularly predisposed to this problem because they have two small separate channels for the tendons. People with mild symptoms will improve with a limited period of anti-inflammatory medication and avoiding painful activities and it is less likely to resolve if it is related to light repetitive work activities. A cortisone shot into the sore area helps most people, but this is only temporarily and usually lasts about 2 months. Surgery helps over four out of five people with this problem. However, surgery can make a new problem such as numbness on the back of the hand or tenderness of the scar. I advise you to talk to your doctor about what is the best treatment for your case.