Hi there,

I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder so I don't really know much about this disorder yet. It is still kind of new to me but I have noticed that when I tell someone that I am suffering from bipolar disorder, that they kind of avoid talking to me afterwards.

Anyway, I've noticed that I've been having these strange mood swings, all of a sudden and out of nowhere and I have no idea why is this happening. I am struggling with it, I think that I am doing fine but it is just weird, is this normal?

Resident

I am sorry to hear that, Guest. This is a really hard disorder to deal with, well, not really for you as it is for the person who you would be dating. Bipolar people are known to not be able to commit, they are known to abandon their partner without a particular reason and are known to cheat on their partners without feeling any guilt. The strange mood swings that you are talking about are just one of the common symptoms which bipolar people experience and you will get used to it eventually. I don't think that this can ever be completely treated.

Superstar

Yes, these mood swings are quite normal, it is a hard condition to deal with, I can tell you that.

I suppose that the best thing for you would be to start treating this as soon as you can. This is always treated by psychotherapy followed by the use of medications. The worst part (but don't freak out, it's not that bad) is that you can never really treat this, like, for it to be gone for good. You can just use mood-stabilizer medications and psychotherapy in order to learn how to cope with this and how to carry on with your life.

I already know that I can never completely get rid of this disorder and I have made peace with that, I learned to accept the things in life which I cannot change. 

I am supposed to start seeing a psychologist, I have an appointment on the 10th of January, he is supposed to be a psychologist who is specialized in working with people suffering from bipolar disorder, hopefully, he will be able to help me out.

I also did a bit of a research on the internet about my disorder and I have to admit that I did not like what I found.

Hello there. You really need to prepare for the fact that you are going to deal with it very difficult. I am telling you this from my own experience, because I am totally aware of my situation. It is very, very hard to deal with this disorder. Even though I do know that I love someone (my partner), I have this need to leave him, to abandon him and go away. I am aware that it is wrong but I just can't control it and I don't know if there is a cure for it. I have been diagnosed with this disorder for years now, and I can't help it. Anyway, you need to be prepared that you will have those strange moods, that you are not used to have before....I am sorry because I need to tell you this...

Celebrity

There are certain things in your life that you can not change. I believe that having a bipolar disorder is one of those things. 

But even if you cannot accept it, you need to deal with the fact that you will have those strange mood swings and that is normal thing in persons who have this disorder.

Sometimes, people with this disorder can be dangerous, violent and they can attack someone for no reason. On the other hand, they just can't run away and that is very, very often.

I don't agree that you cannot do anything about this (maybe you can't) but at least you can try!

Hi Hannah. Just like you said alone - you don't know. Trust me, I wish that there is some magic wand to chase away all those annoying symptoms that bothers me and everyone who are around me, but it seems to me that nothing can't help me. I was even consulting my doctor, I have tried some medications, and generally I didn't have any success at all. I just want to run away, I just want to be alone and that is the only true that I do know. Anyway, I do agree that visiting doctor is the best option and that it can help you, but I would not swear that doctor can help in this situation...

Celebrity

Hi Guest.

I am really sorry to hear this, but I think that the best cure that you can take is to accept the situation that you are into. That is definitely the best option, and I think there are no medications that can help in this.

Like I told you already, I don't have this kind of disorder and I am very glad, but I do know a couple of people who have it. And some of them are in the good relationships, they have good jobs  and they live good - just because they have learned to live with it.