New Reply New Topic Followed by 23 people

My son is 6 years old and I noticed last week that his pupils were huge. He is not on any meds and I don’t understand what could cause dilated pupils. I would like to hear from someone who has same problem? What would you do/ did about it?

I've been trying to find an answer to my sons dilated pupils for a couple of years now and first I was thinking maybe something to do with endocrine system, etc. Doctors have no answers. They basically tell me to go away. I have a specialist appointment for him in November, but want to explore all the other possibilities before.

I'm not a professional but I do study medical files online a lot and from what I have learned, dilated pupils means that you have proper or excess dopamine and/or norepinepherine in the synapse and maybe the transporters for both are just not enough, but I also no that when pupils are naturally dilated the person should have better multitasking ability and better cerebral function then most (should be a smart kid). I would be happy about it and not to concerned, but if you would really would like to know have your child get a PET scan to measure the dopamine and norepinepherin levels, then the specialist will tell you whats wrong if anything.

I just came across your forum, my son has had dilated pupils since 2nd grade, when a bully pushed him off the bus onto a cement block. I should have sued the U-46 school district, he suffered immensely and I've since home schooled the three of them. He had a cut on the very corner of his eye, and he's lucky to have sight. Went to many doctors and they really don't have much to say. He now competes in winter sports and the ski patrols were VERY concerned after a recent fall (the two of them are doctors) seeing how HUGE his pupils were! Now this makes me want to SCREAM AT THE VERY TOP OF MY LUNGS, AND FIND A REAL DOCTOR IN ILLINOIS who can tell me why. My son is extremely upset, he just told me that those two doctors said their friend had the same condition and went blind at 52 years of age. Where do these other doctors get their medical information from. I suppose after that bus fall, and another on the playground on open house, we were both grateful he didn't suffer severe brain bleeds or brain damage (he does have a hard time with school though since then) from that incident. They wrote it all off, as they usually do, even after that same kid brought a loaded gun to school.

Unlucky in Illinois

I have permantely dialeted pupils, i have no idea why. People ask me if im taking drugs or anything, which really makes me upset because i don't. Doctors can't seem to notice anything wrong with me. I got eye tested, went to several doctors who all said "She's Perfect!!" and my mother is stumped and convinced that there is something else behind it,people just think it could be a genetic thing where you inherit it, but nobody in my family has as big of pupils as mine.

Does your sons pupils react to light?

I have dilated pupils too!!! I was at work the other day and someone mentioned it to me. It's kind of embarrassing. She is a nurse too, and said the only time she had seen pupils like mine was someone on drugs. The weird thing is, it's only in fluorescent lighting. (At night too of course) Whe I am in natural sunlight, my pupils constrict, and you can see my blu eyes! I would like to know why my pupils get so big, and no one else that I know does.

My blue eyed blond daughter has had dilated pupils since birth. Perhaps it is genetic. Any studies done on this?

i too have naturally dilated pupils most of the time, but they do constrict in the sunlight.
i am noticing a common link with this and blue eyes.
i too am blue eyed so maybe it is something related to this.

my fiance has beautiful blue eyes and her pupils are constantly dilated as well. ever sense i met her.

It's not just blue eyes. I have green eyes and my pupils are almost always dilated.

Hey! I'm 21 & I've had naturally dilated pupils my entire life. They do not constrict in bright sunlight. They're always just huge. I made a joke to someone I dated recently who was talking about her co-worker's eyes and I said... Well, what color are my eyes... to which the reply was: black. I have hazel green-blue-brown eyes. My eye doctor doesn't say much about it. I have taken eye exams and glaucoma tests and I'm fine. I lot of people naturally don't talk to me because they assume I'm coked up which isn't the case... because my pupils are always so huge. But I always find myself squinting outdoors and sometimes indoors. I can't eat at the island in our kitchen because the fluorescent light just hurts my eyes so bad. I bought some really nice sunglasses... Ray Bans that are Polarized and they have helped A LOT. Though they were just stolen a week ago, I am getting new ones this evening because it is very important my eyes are protected. I would recommend a thorough eye exam to ensure nothing is out of the ordinary since something could be wrong, but yes- it is possible to have naturally dilated pupils. Even at university, I sometimes wear my sunglasses indoors because the light is too much. & To comment on what someone else said^^ I am very smart and I notice a lot of different things than most people as in I have a creative vision. Also, I read that your eyes expand when you're vividly interested in something around you and in my case, it seems to be the world (i.e. everything). Hope this helps :-D

I have permanently dilated pupils. When I went to get LASIK surgery done I learned that they are this big to allow a certain amount of light in so you can see properly. Some people have larger pupils then others because it all depends on how you see.

I also have naturally dilated pupils but i also have complete heterochromia... my left eye is brown whil my right is hazel, my sisters friend says brown eyes pupils ar normally bigger then hasel eyes thats why thier dilated... idk what do you guys think ?

My pupils are naturally dilated and i dont no why??

MY GRANDSON WHO IS NOW 2 RS OLD HAS HAD DI
LATED EYES SINCE BIRTH AND ALSO HAS BLUE EYES. MY DAD HAD BLUE EYES BUT I NEVER NOTICED IF HIS WERE DILATED OR NOT.