New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

I have a problem with my vision which is causing me a lot of discomfort. It happens only a few times a year, if that, but when it does I am unable to get to sleep for days because of it. I am currently suffering with it now so thought I would post the symptoms onto this forum to see if anybody else out there suffers from it...

This is very to discribe so bare with me...

Everything I see, whether it be the TV, my ceiling when i'm trying to sleep or the pen on my desk appears to be really far away. Details and texture on everything looks like its a million miles away. When this happens I begin to sweat and panic, my heart rate picks up and I begin to fight it... almost like I am drifting away from whatever it is I am focusing on.

Like I said before, this happens for a week or so at a time then it wears off. It happens probably every year or so, or when I get tired. The last time it happened badly was about 3-4 years ago, but its now back with a vengance. I'm not sure whether its a problem with my eyes or something else. I very much doubt whether anyone else suffers from this but if any of the symptoms sound familiar please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Rich

When I was younger I felt the exact same thing. I thought it was interesting and rather enjoyed it when it would happen. I know it sounds weird, but it was kinda fascinating. I never told anyone about it. But now my daughter suffers from the same thing. SHe says it happens alot more frequent than I remembered it happening to me. So I have asked her doctor about it. But yea, it almost feels like everything around you is really tiny.

Did your doctor tell you anything about what it was? I used to get the same thing when I was growing up, but it's been a few years. Just had it happen after I laid down to go to sleep.

BPC

Any news sofia_ana01 ? I have the same symptoms. I'm sure one of my parents have it too ......

I have had the same symptoms, often three to four times per year. Sometimes the symptoms last for a few minutes or hours or as long as a couple days. Normally it lasts 30 to 60 minutes. I also have Menieres disease, but I don't know if this is related. At its worst it does begin to feel like a mild vertigo.

Anyone have any answers? I have yet to ask my doc about it; like others I thought it was just me.

Hey i also go thru that same deal everytime i read for like 5 min and goes away ..Everything does seam far away but very clear , i can see that dot ant end of this sentance is made up of 4 pixles. wired i know i have trouble seeing things afar( like on the free way) at the age of 25 never needed glasses. far back i can remmber i frist noted this when i had a fever or something when i was 6 7 8 IDk, but when im at work nothing just normal. walkng around the house whit IDK i feel like a huge giant talll tall tall you know but never bothered me a bit.

sergio in houston

My daughter is 9 years old and was diagnosed with benign childhood seizure disorder 2 years ago. She has "space out" seizures. Her seizures have been under control, for the most part, but she started asking why everything was "really far away". (usually in the evening, close to bedtime or while in bed) During these episodes she is completely aware and functioning, with her only complaint being the visual disturbance. Our neurologist said it's "almost seizures". The brain (occipital lobe) is on the verge of a seizure and the body is fighting it. So, basically it's a mini visual seizure.

Don't know if this helps, or freaks you out. I hope it helped.

I was in a really bad car accident when I was about 10 and the few months after the accident I would have these same types of dizzy spells when I was laying down in bed trying to go to sleep. My bedroom door seemed like it was so far away and my ceiling seemed a mile high. Its scary. Im wondering if it was some kind symptom from a concussion or head injury.

When I was younger, early teens, I remember it happening a lot. It would usually happen at night. Everything seemed small or far away, even my own hand. Sounds seemed to echo. It was kind of scary, but also a little intriguing, but mostly disturbing. I remember that turning on the TV seemed to help, maybe it focused my vision, I don't know.

When I was seventeen I was diagnosed with a mild case Tuberous Sclerosis, a somewhat rare genetic condition which in other cases causes seizures, in more severe cases it causes mental disorders (retardation). I only have superficial symptoms, small growths on my face, looks like faint or really mild acne.

Anyways, the point of all that is that when I was fist diagnosed I underwent CAT Scans and MRI's, other tests that I can't remember now (I'm 28 now). They didn't find anything at all, I was for the most part healthy. I never mentioned the visual disturbances, but afterward I figured they would have found something then but they didn't.

These strange vision problems were scary as a child. Mostly occurred at night when trying to sleep, closing my eyes did not help the sensation of everything going far away. Very bazaar. I thought I was the only one that had these rare anomalies. I had lots of docters scatching their heads. I learned to just put up with the discomfort. I first noticed it when I was 5 years of age, during a nasty fever. It happened frequently and less frequently as I grew older. I also found it very difficult to control the symtoms at times, and could make it happen at will. Sounds crazy I know. I don't tell anybody except my wife. I am 30 years old now and it does not happen to me anymore unless I sit still and focus on an object. Also if I close either eye and stare at somthing it will happen no matter what. Thought I would share it.

This is the first time I've thought to look this up on the internet and I'm surprised to see so many people describing these symptoms...

I remember experiencing something similar and fairly regularly as a child. My first memory of it is being in bed while my mum read me a bedtime story and thinking her face looked really tiny and clear and far away.

I still get it from time to time, maybe once or twice a year? And sometimes when I do I'll get it several times in the same week or so. I seems to be particularly when I'm tired or sleep deprived.

Everything seems really really far away and tiny and extremely clear, sharp and focused. Distances (for example the distance from my pillow to my bedside locker) seem enormous and my hands are tiny yet I am easily able to reach across them. It's not usually really frightening, just a little disturbing but the strangeness of simple things - like reaching for a doorhandle - in that state is absorbing. Everything slows down.

I get scared sometimes when I have to interact with things and people in a serious way though - I feel really distanced from what's going on around me and disconnected from my emotions. People talking to me seem really far away and I have to try really hard to stay focused on what they saying (and try to remember how I should/would usually respond so as not to seem too "off").

I was interested by what some of you've said about going to doctors - I never did - for two reasons, firstly because I thought they wouldn't get it or would think I was mad (whenever I tried to describe this to my friends they didn't understand at all) and secondly because it doesn't happen very frequently.

If any of you have found out any more about these sort of symptoms I'd really love to hear from you.

-V

I have the same problem. Everything seems really far away but also very huge at the same time like i'm only the size of a ant. Happens every once and awhile when i get into bed. I notice it only happens for me when i stay up too late. Closing my eyes doesnt help the problem. i constantly have to open them or the feeling gets more intense. When they first started to happen there was this weird visual feeling that when through my mind when my eyes were closed. I could never really describe it but it was kinda like someone was crumpling a piece of paper over and over again. haha sounds strange but thats the best description i got.

Best way to help the vision problem is to turn on a single light source in your room when it happens. its hard to stop it if you cant focus on something so just close your eyes for a few moments, and when the feeling happens, open your eyes and look at the light for a bit. If that doesnt work, walking around seems to get rid of it also.

"I have the same problem. Everything seems really far away but also very huge at the same time like i'm only the size of a ant. "

I go through this so much. Sometimes it's a few times a month, other times its every single day for a few weeks. It's really uncomfortable and I end up having a panic attack. I have Panic Disorder and I'm not sure if I'm not sure if it's got anything to do with it. When I explain it to doctors, they don't really know what to say. This vision problem usually happens when I'm focusing on an object (even reading a book), at night when I'm sleepy or in the morning when I'm just waking up. What seems to help temporarily is to put my face close to light, like a lamp without the lamp shade, and the bright light makes it go away for a bit.

My friend who's in medical school called it "Alice In Wonderland Syndrome" but I haven't been able to get help for this.

I suggest printing out a forum like that and highlighting the possible causes- then bringing the list to your doctor. I guess it could be affiliated with something that your not aware of.

?

I have a 6 year old boy who wakes up crying,scared because "Everything looks really far away".My husband and I thought nightmares were the cause ,but it is happening more and more. I am not sure what to do...do I take him to a neurologist is there anything they can do?

For as long as I can remember I have been experiencing this also. Everything seems far away even though I can still see things clearly. Also Everything seems louder than usual. It usually happens when I'm concentrating on something. For example, when I take tests, or more recently when I was doing a crossword puzzle. I noticed that it had never happened when I was outside, so the next time it happens I'll try to go out. When I was a younger I used to be really scared when it happened. It's still scary now, but I try to ignore it. This is so hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. Please post any information about this.