Just read the story of Apryl Brown. She got her butt injected with fillers she had no idea what was in them, by some random person who wasn't a plastic surgeon, and ultimately ended up without arms and with part of her legs missing after the fillers gave her a staph infection. 

She's now campaigning to make sure the same doesn't happen to others, and says: "All I would ask them to do is, when you have that first thought, make sure they have a second thought about it and do a little research. And if they still want to do it, go for it. They won't be blind sighted, saying, 'Oh, my God, I had no idea that a simple procedure like that can leave me with no hands, no feet and no butt cheeks.'"

Back street "clinics"? Yeah, not a good idea. It's DIY surgery by proxy basically because someone just as unqualified as you is doing the "treatment". There's also people who actually try to perform their own liposuction and eyelid lifts using cuticle scissors... all kinds of nastiness. And then there's at home chemical peels which are basically plastic surgery light at home.

Just how stupid can you be, people?? You wouldn't do your own appendix or tonsils, would you? Plastic surgery is surgery!!!

haha, have you seen those Asian gadgets around? Everything from a nose straightener to plastic masks that are supposed to have the effect of a face lift or some lip thing that you wear and do exercises that are supposed to make the face firmer? In the more serious category, there are face brightening lights and lasers for the skin. The first category is harmless fun, but the more serious things should really be left up to professionals, who know how to use those devices properly and can prevent people from doing permanent damage to themselves.

That woman without arms... OMG. I bet she's regretting that for the rest of her life, but outwardly she seems so incredibly positive. I sure as hell wouldn't feel like that after having something like that happen, but then again I wouldn't inject my butt with some unknown substance either!

Yes, DIY plastic surgery is incredibly stupid. I did want to take the opportunity to say that traveling abroad for various procedures done in unverified clinics is not all that much smarter. Unless you know you have a qualified and experienced surgeon who can match what you would get at home, you may practically be begging for trouble. I have seen too many people travel to Thailand for surgery only to end up unhappy. I guess it is a notch up from actually taking a scalpel to your own body though, which is of course absolutely insane.

Celebrity

I actually wonder how common this is? I've heard of trans people who are so depressed about their bodies that they attempt to cut off the body parts they hate so much themselves. That is tragic. I assume that having access, financial and practical, to gender confirmation surgery would cut the rates trans people feeling they need to take that step down significantly.

In the same light, I can imagine really obese people doing this out of desperation as well. Yes, I have read about self-lipo, and nobody would take that step unless they were really depressed. It primarily seems to be a form of self-harm resulting from a lack of access to other options. 

All in all, really sad. :(

Rosie

Health Advisor

How stupid can you be? Well, yeah, very, very, very stupid. I mean, personally I bang my hand every time I read about someone doing an at home chemical peel and then asking questions like, is this normal, what can I do to fix it? It's not plastic surgery exactly, I know, but yeah it's up there on the list of stuff you wanna avoid doing. That stuff burns your skin by design and it should be done my a pro unless you are, like, very sure you know what you're doing... and if you come and ask questions about it on here afterwards, yeah, you're not in that category. As for trying your own nose job or stuff like that, I'm not sure that actually happens, really, but if it does than yeah, mental illness I say. Those people need serious help. They weren't just a little too confident in their abilities to save some cash.

Yeah, dreadful is the only word I have for DIY plastic surgery. I've read about a man who tried to do his own nose job with a chisel. He put a chicken bone in instead of the bone he removed. There was also a lady who injected cooking oil under her skin to plump it out. Some of the people who do this have body dysmorphic disorder, but others are just over confident. They think they can save some money by doing these procedures to themselves. They clearly regret it immensely afterward as they become disfigured and put their lives at risk. Spreading awareness about the dangers of any type of DIY surgery procedure is a good thing in this world. The more people hear about the stories where things went terribly wrong, the fewer will think they can get away with that. Terrible stuff.

Celebrity

Of course doing your own plastic surgery is stupid. Which is why nobody in their right mind would even consider it. This topic should really be under mental health, I think: it's more about people's states of mind than about plastic surgery. I mean, really? Chicken bones? Everyone knows that people who receive transplants need to be on anti-rejection drugs all their lives, even if the organ is a good match for them. So it's obvious that chicken bones don't have the potential to help :). 

It does go to show how very beauty obsessed society has become. I mean, I'm all for looking pretty and I spend more than I care to admit on products (I do have a skin condition, rosacea), but unless one is disfigured, there is something to be said for making the most out of one's natural looks rather than going to extreme lengths to look very different. People who are addicted to plastic surgery, done at a clinic and not DIY, fall into a similar category I think. Like there was this man who had hundreds of procedures to look like Ken. He was a flight attendant. That made me wonder, not just who on Earth has money for hundreds of plastic surgeries, especially if you're not a billionaire, but also why doctors would agree to something like that. That Octomom seems to be the fertility equivalent of that Living Ken Doll. Surely, people, surgeons should have some standards and care more about their patients' wellbeing and LIVES than about making money from people like this, who are obviously, to put it nicely, not right in the head?

Yes, there are cases of this happening. What can I say? Some people get up to some odd and dangerous sh...

- Cooking oil DIY botox
- Web bought silicone injections
- DIY nose job
- DIY eye lift

I think the less radical procedures, like the injections and the chemical peels, are far more popular among people willing to experiment by themselves than actual operations where you remove fat, restructure the face and so on. You have to be pretty out of your mind to do the latter. With the former, it seems like the fact that things are so easily available on the internet simply give some people the impression that things that should really be done by a doctor can be done at home too. That is stupid, but less stupid than cutting your skin open.

Mind you, to add, I think although you do have people doing their own 'surgeries', it is mostly an urban myth. If it were that common, there would be many more actual stories. As it is, when you look around, it's the same woman with her butt injections and the woman who injected cooking oil wherever you look. This is far, far less common than some people believe. Most people know that doing your own operation is stupid and they also know they could end up dead or really disfigured from it. So more people probably think about doing DIY plastic surgery than actually do it in the end. You don't get people taking their own tonsils and appendixes out either really do you? I mean, people know you get infections and things. Unless they have something wrong with their head.

I am wondering at what point chemical peels got lumped in together with surgery.

The two are not the same thing. I am not defending anybody who does chemical peels at home, because I have never had one, not even at a salon, although I have had various facials. If the information I gathered on the web (because I have pimples and would like to get rid of them) is anything to go by, when you stick to lower concentrations of the safer peels, then it is not incredibly stupid to perform those peels at home. Yes, with higher concentrations and more serious peels, you can most certainly end up with severe burns and scarring. That is bad. I get it.

If, on the other hand, you cut your own belly open in an effort to remove fat, you are not just placing yourself at risk off burns and scars, which are survivable, but at risk of serious infections and even death. The chicken bone someone mentioned is in another league altogether.

There are degrees of stupidity, no?

Do people really do their own "surgical procedures"? I do not doubt that the answer is yes, but I am equally sure that we are really talking about extremely small numbers. Many more people, however, choose to go to cheaper clinics with lowered ethical standards and quality control in order to save money on their plastic surgery procedures, something that can be just as dangerous as taking the knife to your own body. If we are already talking about being "stupid", well, there is no doubt that this is a much more prevalent problem. Another concern is people who have numerous surgical procedures, going in without realistic expectations and never being satisfied with the end result — Micheal Jackson Syndrome, if you like.

Celebrity

Something is bothering me about this discussion, honestly. It is hard to articulate, but I have a feeling that people are laughing at those who take desperate steps. I know I already said this is stupid, but the question is — doesn't everyone know that, everyone who isn't doing something completely desperate? I would like to understand the reasons why people turn to such acts. I assume they qualify for some mental diagnosis. I have heard of body dysmorphic disorder, and that seems to be a likely diagnosis here. In any case, it is not like we should be laughing at people doing these things because they are obviously going through a very traumatic period in their lives, otherwise they would never even do anything like this.

Hi, I hear what you are saying... I think? It's "making fun of mentally ill people isn't nice", isn't it, basically? I agree with you on that front, and I would guess most people would.

It does seem like some people attempting to perform their own cosmetic procedures are not mentally ill, not acting out of a desperate act of wanting to get their bodies to look a certain way because they consider themselves disfigured, but read about this on the internet and think "I can do this, I'll save some money".

That is the attitude that is really harmful, IMO. Just because other people on the internet or people you know IRL are doing unsafe things, and even got away with it, that does not mean it is not terribly risky. Depending on what kind of blog is being written, I can see people actually trying to do some of these things at home. Not surgical stuff, but injecting their own botox and the like. It may seem obvious that this is dangerous unless you are a trained professional to some, but apparently not to everyone because many people are discussing exactly these kinds of things on the internet.

Of course that does not translate to it suddenly being OK to make fun of people suffering genuine mental illnesses.