Hi. My father had a kidney infection and two days ago he was diagnosed with a chronic kidney failure. I know diabetes and hypertension can cause chronic renal failure, but what about infection? Do kidney infections lead to kidney failure?

Hi. High blood pressure and diabetes are the main causes of chronic kidney failure. Approximately 2/3 of people diagnosed with chronic renal failure have diabetes or high blood pressure. Other causes of kidney failure are kidney stones and infection, analgesic and reflux nephropathy, glomerulonephritis, polycystic kidney disease, obstructive uropathy and Alport syndrome. I have diabetes and I drink plenty of fluids to prevent kidney problems.

Hello there hegge,

First of all I am so sorry that your father has been diagnosed with chronic kidney failure.

Since raya has already answered your question there is no need to repeat her words but instead I can share with you some additional information about chronic kidney failure.

When we are talking about treatment options for chronic kidney failure it is usually focused on slowing the progression of the kidney damage. Also it is focused on controlling signs and symptoms of the condition, reducing complications and slowing down the progress of the disease.

And of course the whole treatment depends on the cause of the chronic kidney failure and this is something that your doctor will explain in details.

I am sorry to hear that, hegge.

I want to know what kind of infection did your father get. By experience, urinary tract infeciton is one of the most common infections which can is responsible for chronic kidney disease, accounting for around 1/5 people with kidney disease.

Different from actue renal failure, chrocni renal failure progresses over a long time. So there must be some underlying casues of the disease. My suggestion is taking your father go run some tests. Before finding out the actual causes, I don't think seeking medical assistant will be a wise choice.