If so, what do you do and do you enjoy it---meaning is it a cause you have some feelings about and that's why you volunteer, or do you just want to "give back" and found something that needed help?

Not really volunteering per se, but I did build a few snazzy little databases for a shelter here that was using file cabinets and note pads to keep track of donors/mailing lists and supplies.
I managed to get the computer donated and loaded with Office (I wrote the databases in Access). I do still update the databases if they ask me to.

Prolly around 250-hrs a year. A handful of different organizations. Most places take both time and money to operate. I don't have much extra of the later, so I donate the former.

I was a volunteer fireman/EMT for 17+years, until my health problems forced me too resign from active crew. I am still active with the department but now its in the business end of things.

Former Volunteer EMT.

now for National Skate Patrol. giving basic lessons for free and quick equipment fix "on the fly" during festival routes.

I updated coaching qualifications to include athletes with disability's.
Its only seasonal but I do some work with some people with an interllectual disability.
Very challenging!!!

Yes at the Children's hospital and soon one of the local animal shelters as well.

Does the forums count? If not, then no, not on a regular basis. I'll volunteer for things of the basis of my ability/availability, just no recurring projects.

no. I have a lot on my plate. I would though like to volunteer for some of the charities Abby is involved in when she is more stable.

Yes. I volunteer. But, they are things that no one is likely to ever know or hear about. And that is the way I want it.

I love volunteering. I have volunteered pretty much all my adult life. I do literacy tutoring. Why do I do it? I love reading and the thought of someone not being able to pick up a book to enjoy or to read to his or her kids...it's a horrible thought. Also, there are so many people with so much potential but because of their backgrounds they never graduated or learned to read English.

I also do what is called intercambio. A Latino and I are paired up and then we chat in English. This is my favorite type of volunteering because I learn so much about a culture that fascinates me, am helping another person, and am improving my espanol!

and, yeah, I just don't do it for the community, I do it for me too. :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing guys. I want to do something because I used to be really good about volunteering, when I was in school, but havn't in several years and want to find something to get involved in.

I just got back from holding the premie and critical care babies at the hospital. :pinklove: :pinklove: :pinklove: I think there isn't a better place to volunteer.

Is it all possible for you to do pro-bono legal work?

I volunteer at my church.

I teach Religious Ed to a group of 5th graders on Tuesday nights.