New Reply New Topic Followed by 25 people

does weed make people loose or gain weight?
lots of my friends have lost lots of weight, starting at about 65 kilos they've lost 20 or so kilos, the boys who were a bit bigger have lost 20-30 kilos, how is this possible when weed makes people eat, (the munchies)? is it the marijuana that makes people loose weight or is it the lifestyles there living, eg some walk long distances to get weed and dont care about much else than smoking weed, but they all eat i see them, and often its a lot of bad food that would make someone normal fat?
so whats the answer loose or gain weight?
thanks guys

When you smoke pot, your materialism goes up, so when you eat (munchies) it's burned fast. I would say it would stay the same.

materialism? it's metabolism.... and pot has been clinically proven to not alter your metabolism. Pot smokers are actually more likely to gain weight with avid use.

I must say however, that I too have noticed certain cases where my friends have lost weight, it could be unrelated or related to pot, but no test suggests that pot helps you lose weight.

The current conclusion: No.

You will most likely lose weight when smoking pot regularly. This is because you will only ever be hungry when your hi. You will totally lose your appetite during the day or when ever you aren't under the influence. This in affect will slow down your metabolism after a usually long period of time due to very bad eating habits. If you enjoy weed and would like to still be healthy, make sure you eat 3 meals a day, Especially breakfast!. If you ignore this you will find yourself very tired, lazy and sometime to the point of being malnourished.

Keep up exercise and healthy eating habits and you will find pot allot more enjoyable and minimise negative affects on your mental and physical health.

I am a regular smoker, i find that when im "high" is when i think about food less, its actually when your "coming" down from my hi i start think about food. The more you smoke, the less you eat. :-)

Nikki

I love it when people say that Pot doesn't Increase your metabolism and dont give anything to back it up.
Plus, he said it was "scientifically proven". Please, direct me to this proof, because all I can find are ignorant people who post on forums and use words like "yes" and "no" and "scientifically proven". In addition, i can't find this so-called "proof" anywhere.

So, Current Conclusion: WE DONT KNOW YET.

Peace

It's really hard to find scientific proof through Google when every result is a message board or Yahoo! Answers saying both "yes" and "no".

My boyfriend has been smoking weed for over a year for the purpose of gaining weight, and doesn't seem to have gained a pound.

So far, it really seems like it depends on your metabolism. I kind of get the feeling weed won't affect your weight if you have a fast metabolism. But then again, that's my opinion from personal observation and not scientific proof. Maybe we should all ask a doctor for a more legitimate answer. :O

well it gives you the munchies and if you go to taco bell and denny's , then ya gonna get fat! why the hell would it make you lose weight? cigarettes would make you lose weight because nicotine is a stimulant, which acts as a appetite suppresant. bottom line: if you eat cupcakes, triple cheeseburgers, cheese puffs, etc after smoking some dank, you will gain weight, pure and simple. and not only the food makes you fat, but also the sedentary lifestyle. source: it happened to me.

weed doesn't make you gain weight or lose weight. it truly depends on your metabolism. i have hypothyroidism and cant lose weight no matter what and when i smoke it reduces my stress level and i eat a lot more but i lost 72 pounds as soon as i started smoking. when i stopped for school i gained 52 pounds. i started again and so far lost 15 pounds so it helps me. im assuming its mostly helping my stress levels and boosting my appetite so i eat more which does boost my metabolism. in conclusion, since i cant find any real proof of any kind, its still a mystery if pot can help you gain or lose weight. i think it just depends on each different person.

l8r

I am 42, Hiv + with 15 yrs. and I ve been smoking weed for 20+ yrs. and I stoped 2mos ago.and i put on some serious weight,I used to smoke 3-5 blunts a day,and since i stoped smoking blunts i gain an easy 20lbs.I used to weight 180.now i get so upset that i can put this weight on so fast,and its hard for me to do anything about it,as I am dealing with Hiv+ and I dont take drugs for the Hiv in 5yrs.I stop smoking newports 6-7 yrs ago.I went cold turkey.but now that i dont smoke blunts I am really done with the nicotine for good..But its hard for the work that I do is Called Reiki healing energies (Universal Life Force Energy) for the mind body & soul,it has helped me alot to cure myself from my addications.But at times I want to just Drink a glass of wine.But is that any better to clean the body & then put in something else.I will try to become a Vegan where i dont have to worry about all the fat that i intake.at all...Namaste to all :-D

I know from my personal experience that smoking marijuana for over 10 years made me lose weight. I have since stopped smoking on a daily and hourly basis and have put on nearly 20 kg...
I was told that what happens is that the marijuana (over long periods) effects the fat cells in your body. When I started smoking i got the 'munchies' every time i smoked. However after I became dependant on smoking every day, i lost my appetite all together, and would have to force myself to eat. I had to make sure I ate a meal before smoking. Even if the food was laden in fat, i never put on weight, but lost weight!
Also, being type 2 diabetic, I found that my diabetes was more under control when i was a daily smoker. Now i'm seriously considering taking it up again. The only problem is i have moved to another country and have no idea where to get it from lol

I lost 3 and a half stone (19.5 to 16) entirely by smoking weed.

I smoked a lot of green daily (around 3.5 grams at night) and that's the only thing I changed in my diet, if anything I ate more takeaways etc!

Win!

i'd say it can make you lose weight, but that's only if you can smoke weed and fight the munchies. because when you smoke you tend to get them.

Smoking pot stimulates the appetite and makes you a lot. I don't see how this could make you lose weight.

i hate my body because im fat.!