Lately it seems that if you read any beauty news & tips at all, everyone is recommending hyaluronic acid serums. I'm 36 and now thinking about buying a hyaluronic acid serum, because I have heard that it will prevent wrinkle formation and make my skin look plumper. At the moment, it is honestly more for prevention that I would use anything like this. 

What do you think? Does my skin need hyaluronic acid serums? I have normal skin, not dry and not oily, and no other problems either except for the odd wrinkle. If you would say hyaluronic acid is good for my skin at my age, can you explain how these serums are used?

Thanks in advance!

Celebrity

Hyaluronic acid has plenty of benefits for your skin. They include:

• An amazing improvement in moisture retention. No, that doesn't mean your face will look like your grandmother's legs :). The polymer in hyaluronic acid has an extraordinary capacity to draw moisture in, and that means well-hydrated, healthy looking, young looking skin. 
  • An improvement in the strength of the outer layer of your skin, that barrier between you and the outside world. This means smoother looking skin. Unlike many other ingredients, hyaluronic acid is even suitable for people with skin conditions such as rosacea. 

So yes, your skin would most likely benefit from hyaluronic acid if you are looking for plumper, healthier, stronger, and smoother skin. You do not need a serum however. A moisturizer with hyaluronic acid will be great for you.

Celebrity

Do you actually need hyaluronic acid? Of course not. People have been doing without those serums and creams for a very long time, and they lived ;). Would your skin benefit? Most probably. This has been a very hot ingredient in the skincare world for quite some time now, and almost everyone who uses it is very happy with what it does for their skin. Does that mean you need to start with the most expensive, best product you can find? Probably not. If you think it is a little pricey, why not try something more inexpensive first and then judge whether you like hyaluronic acid enough to spend more?

Rosie

I, too, got a pure hyaluronic acid serum, applied it once a day followed by moisturizer. After around 2 weeks, my skin became so dry that I was moisturizing 5 or so times a day just to prevent the most obvious flaking. I looked around and I don't think I did anything wrong, but I am now confused. This product has such a great reputation, and then this happened to my skin. I must have been doing something wrong, I suppose. If anyone knows anything about what might have happened, please contact me.

I have the same question. I came across a stand at the mall a while ago, where they were, among other things, selling creams containing hyaluronic acid. They touted it as the best answer for wrinkles and loss of elasticity. I had never heard of this before, as I am not usually too bothered about things like that, but I was really interested and just want to know whether this really works or not. The actual cream looked very nice. I tried some on my hand and it felt good. Should I get something like that?

I started using a hyaluronic acid serum at the recommendation of my beautician, with whom I have regular facials, hair removal, etc, a month ago. In that short time, my skin has changed a lot! I had tired looking skin with lots of flakes and since the HA, well, I look decidedly younger and the flakes have gone completely. The moisture attracting side of HA is just wonderful. Mind you, I went in feeling skeptical, but thought I have nothing much to lose. Best decision I could ever have made!

Me, yeah, I think this hyaluronic acid stuff is just the latest money making fad. Sure some of this stuff is good for your skin but you know your in trouble when you start thinking I need this badly or my skin will suffer!!! Just go with the flow people, buy stuff for your skin that isn't too expensive spend your cash on other things. If your skin already looks good whats the point worrying about whether you need to add something expensive to your collection just to make it look even better? Half of it is all in the mind anyway.