Today while i was in school a friend of mine who was on the wrestling team, was sucking on jolly ranchers and spitting into a bottle. I asked him why do they do that he said it helps them lost weight, do anyone know if that is true?

Yes it does make you lose weight.I'm a mat maid[manager for wrestling] and spitting makes you lose water weight.Like if one of our wrestlers is a pound over then they'll either chew on starburst/jollyranchers and spit it into a bottle or they'll run in trashbags[makes them sweat ALOT].

Peace-

I had a friend like this too. Gross! %-) But, I think this has to do with wrestling weight classes - they're marked off every 5-10 lbs or something, and wrestlers try to squeeze just under the line - that way, they're the biggest they can possibly be in their weight class. So, they might dehydrate themselves on the day of a match to get their weight unnaturally low. This includes the spitting - my friend said that was worth about half a pound, or one drinking cup's worth. (Grooooooosss - carrying that around all day!) Then at the beginning of the match they weigh in (dehydrated) and then drink a lot to rehydrate before they have to wrestle.
So, it doesn't help them lose fat or anything - just more dehyration to help them get under the wire.

Yes they will lose weight but its only water weight. Wrestlers tend to dehydrate themselves very badly to make their weigh in's. This is VERY unhealthy. If they actually drank a gallon of water everyday their body would naturally lose aboout 5lbs due to your body not retaining water anymore.

yes it does i am a wrestler and in fact im sucking on jolly ranchers right now for a tournament tomorrow about a gatorade bottle full is about a pound of loss. I just got in from running with a trash bag and that helps a whole lot as well

i spit too, but i dont wrestle. i dont smoke, and its just a habit for me to spit. some of my friends spit too cause they smoke, but i spit cause i dont want to swallow it. i read some yahooanswers and it said that spitting actually does help you lose weight.

I am a female high school wrestler and I usually dont eat before my weigh ins. I will usually suck on jollyranchers or some sugarfree gum and spit in a 8oz bottle. when the bottle gets full i will usually go check my weight or see how i am doing. this week i have 3 tourneyments thursday, friday , and saturday and making weight for me is already hard enough. on thursday morning i weighed 104.7 and i had to weigh in at 5pm for tourneymant and i weighed in at 103.0 just from spitting in a bottle. so i say that this works really well.

Im a wrestler myself, at the moment i weigh 122.6 and im supposed to weigh 119 in abouttt... a day and a half, so i start by taking a huge bite out of a jalapeno (idk how to spell) and swishing it around until it burns too much, then i spit it out and put in a few jolly ranchers or a stick or two of gum and you spit for about an hour before taking another bite of jalepeno... i may not have much to lose but doing it this way has made me lose 10 ounces of water in 30 minutes, which is a bit over half a pound, so needless to say it work very well! While spitting is nice, if you are at home and have the time, nothing can beat sweating it out. Go run about 3 miles with heavy duty (black) trashbags on your body, and a full sweatsuit or two, then walk into your bathroom and turn on the shower as high as it will go, then just sit in the hot steamy air and you will continue to sweat for another 20-40 minutes. just doing that will lose about 5-8pounds.

ya im about a pound and a half over gonna buy some jolly ranchers

they do that to lose water weight, many fighters do this for cutting weight for a fight. You should not do this tho

Sorry, I want to add that they do this so that they can cut water weight, not fat. If you want to lose weight you should be try to excerise and eat right. Because after the fight he will start to drink water again and he gains the weigh back. So spitting isnt a good way to lose weight. Just eat right and exercise. Good luck with your goals

Tinkaboo wrote:

When I was overweight I eat fresh fruits and fruit juice then one day my friend suggest me meridia diet pill. I used meridia pill with my diet and give me my shape back.

I am a wrestler and I weighed 140 before a tournament in reno and all i did on the ride up was spit into a 16oz bottle and went to the bathroom a lot and when i checked my weight i weighed 136. So yea it works, the eleveation of reno might of helped a little too though.

I wrestle the 103 pound weight class and i usually weigh around 110 pounds each monday (matches are tuesdays or wednesdays) so i usually wear a sauna suit and spit to make weight and from looking at the scales each day i can say yes-it does help lose water weight

Well I think Wrestlers tend to dehydrate themselves very badly to make their weigh in's. This is VERY unhealthy. If they actually drank a gallon of water everyday their body would naturally lose aboout 5lbs due to your body not retaining water anymore.