Hello, building muscle mass is just one of many benefits that muscle training, how you call it, can provide. The more acceptable term is strength training. Working out will have affect on your general well-being. I suppose that under weight lifting you consider weight training. Weight training is a form of strength training where your muscles work to overcome the resistance of the weights. And with this type of exercises you can achieve your goals. There is an opinion that you can get results quickly if you do fewer repetitions with heavier weights. Since you are beginners I wouldn't recommend this type of workout. In the beginning the best way would be to do fewer repetitions in two to three series with smaller weight for every muscle group. Don't force yourselves, in time as you gain strength you will be able to lift heavier weights and do more repetitions in more series. After few months the build up of muscle mass will be significant.

Hi, I think that aerobic, or any kind of work out for that matter, has the best effects if you do it with the help of personal trainer. My second choice would be the aerobic class in the gym. In both cases you have someone who can see how you do the exercises and can correct you if you are not doing something right. But if you feel more relaxed to do the exercises in your home than that is what you should do. This however does not mean that you don't have to wear workout clothes, especially the shoes. They are very important. When you exercise your joints, especially knees and ankles, are under great stress. If you workout barefooted you don't have the proper support and you risk hurting yourself. The shoes work like pads and friction in the joints is reduced when you wear them. So if you want to avoid injuries you need to wear the sports shoes even when you work out at home.