I've been reading through quite a few of these postings, and I've gathered the general notion that people tend to take suboxone, and then stay on it for a year or two.

I have a little advice that I would like to share from personal experiences: Don't stay on suboxone at all! Use it to get through your WD period, and then stop! Oh, and also, make sure you TAPER then entire time you use it, so your body never has a chance to adjust to it and become addicted!

I'm sure there are scenarios which call for longer-term Suboxone use, and I guess only a doctor can really know. But my personal opinion which I would like to share with everyone is this:

Doctors prescribe people medication for Money. Not to say that ALL doctors only care about your money - many care about your health too. But it is in the tendency of the pharmacy industry to OVER PERSCRIBE you in order to get more of a profit from you! Why would they put you on a fast-tapering, 4/5 day suboxone detox, when they could put you on for an entire year or two and say "well, it's easier this way".

Well I'm here to tell you that IT IS POSSIBLE to detox using suboxone, from your DOC (Oxy, H, Vic) in a short 4 or 5 day period!

I know this from multiple personal experiences, where I moved from H or Oxy, to Suboxone for 5 days, to nothing. I'm getting the idea that people who stay on Subs longer than the first week or so, become addicted, and stay unhappy/unhealthy.

So here is what I would do (and I strongly suggest you try this yourself):

I would start off using about a G of H everyday, for a period of 3 months or so.

I would get Suboxone from a FRIEND WITH A RX - this helped me to avoid a doctor over prescribing me. I would generally get between 4 and 7 of the 8mg(larger) Suboxone tablets.

I would decide when to quit (make a definite day, definite time!). Ex - say I decided to quit on Monday.

Sunday night, I would do H as usual and then go to bed.

Monday morning I would wake up and NOT DO H. Around the 18 hour mark, I would be experiencing somewhat moderate withdrawals, and would take about 1.5 Suboxone Tablets.

Monday, I would feel slightly shitty (much better than if I hadn't taken Suboxone though), but by that night, I would feel fine.

Tuesday, wake up feeling great. Take 1 Tablet of Suboxone. Feel great all day.

Wednesday, wake up feeling great. Take .5 Tablet of Suboxone, Feel great all day.

Thursday, wake up feeling good, take .25 tablet of Suboxone, Feel good all day. If I started feeling not so good, I would take only .25 more of a tablet.

Friday, wake up feeling good, take only .25 tablet of suboxone. Feel good all day.

Saturday, wake up feeling good, take only .25 tablet of suboxone. Feel good all day.

Sunday - wake up feeling fine, DON'T TAKE SUBOXONE. Feel fine all day - aside from a possible opiate craving here and there.

What you've just done is block out your roughly week-long WD period, without allowing enough time for your body to become addicted to Suboxone.

And all I have to say about the craving you may experience - tough it out! Remember how bad your WD's were only a week ago? And now your complaining about a mere craving? Get over it! You're free! You can start exercising again without worrying about a heart attack, you can get on a regular sleep cycle where you wake up before Noon! You can spend your money of new clothes and food for your fridge! You can rid your apartment of gross looking aluminum foil and needles, and clean up for once! You can get an apartment finally, and get off your friend's couch!

Anyway, I may have taken this explanation a bit far, but I just want everyone to know that at least according to my experiences, and I don't think I'm THAT unusual, you can get sober and clean in a week, with between 4 and 7 tablets of suboxone!

Don't feel as though you need to stay on for a year! That just doesn't make any sense to me! Your WD's if you went Cold Turkey would only last a week at the most! Why would you take medication for A YEAR??

I personally go through a G of H (= roughly 4 80mg oxy's) a day. You may go through more, or less. Just adjust my 5 day plan to fit you.

Yes, this method takes a little self control, and yes, I know some people take suboxone to help them stay off opiates (because they can't get high if they stay on it). But I'm just saying that you should at least try this out, it's a huge weight off your shoulders almost immediately. And I believe that if you're actually Serious about quitting, if you are dedicated and committed to changing your life around, a few little cravings here and there should be NOTHING to stop you.

has anyone else ever tried this?

I have never heard of anyone trying this and its mainly because no one really researches much about "subs" before they take them. They usually just follow whatever the doctor gives them. And most doctors are going to tell them they need to take them for as long as they are craving and for most people they crave their meds (whatever they are addicted to) for a long time for years sometimes after stopping (becoming "clean").

Thats the reason i kept on it i knew i was completely done with vicodin after stopping but my doctor would say I know you haven't taken vic's for a while but do you think you will still crave them after you stop sub treatment and i would think and say "you know i will stilll crave because i am still obsessing over it" and then he would tell me "ok then your not ready to stop treatment".

I don't know about ever doctor but i do know that suboxone and subutex is supossed to stop withdrawal symptoms and be used as a med to stop cravings. So they keep their patients on it for longs periods of time and you know the rest they end up like i was addicted and then really sick when i stopped but now I am good to go haven't touch vic's in 4 1/2 months and i stopped taking subutex on Nov. 23, 2009. I am completely back to normal and I am happy again.

Just my thoughts

Kayla

Good for you

Taking sub for such a short time period does not work. It's not meant to b used for 5 days and doesn't even have time to start working. Obviously it leads to relapse because you said you've tried this combo MULTIPLE TIMES! U relapse after each time when i took sub for months and worked my recovery and changes t my life when i weened off sub I stayed clean. U can't use sub like that and expect to stay clean. Ur In a never ending cycle. Have fun!

idk i think that method might actually work bc no one honestly knows the REAL issue with suboxin. its such an over looked drug not even drs really know side affects even when being pregnant and taking them. it is a another way for drs to get money. theyre cracking down so hard on drs over prescribing pain killers that this is a way for them to not lose money.

you do not need suboxin for that long. you are trading in one evil for another. i would not use suboxin for over a month period. ive been on it for way to long. i feel as though im still taking pills bc i worry about detoxing and having the money to make sure i get my sub "just right". i did the SAME thing with pills.

I'm posting this to help. I'm not even going to check this topic ever again.. just wandered across this post from google. SHORT TERM SUBOXONE USE is only helpful if you're having acute opioid withdrawals and for whatever reason cannot cope with life in any other way/E.G. needing to go to work and give a presentation, needing to be social all week, on vacation, etc etc..

The whole point of long term Suboxone use and tapering slowly is so that not only will your body physically be able to adjust better, but psychologically you will learn new coping skills, you'll slowly learn more about who you used to be, start feeling more and seeing more good in the world, and it will be enough to keep you away from the evil sh*t while you build a new foundation for your life, so as not to relapse ever again.

There's alot more to it than just the physical pain and physical withdrawal symptoms. I know this because I used to be a horrid junkie, and am now nearly off of my 18 month Subox. program. I've found direction in my life, am going to college, building a financial foundation, and all kinds of good things. I wish you all the same success I've found with Suboxone.
Now.. with that being said, I will say that it's a hell of a drug, and it WILL kick your ass if you don't take it as prescribed and run out early/etc. My opinion is to either take what the doctor says to take, or LESS. And in your final months, start figuring out your precise tapering plan, even if it's down to 0.1mg a day, who cares, so long as you get clean and stay clean, that's what matters!

-One last thing: For those of you on the program, I started at 24mg/day for a few months then started a gradual taper, and it's more noticable now [the effects] than it was at 24mg, interestingly enough. But yeah, stay strong guys! You can all do it. I promise you that! Life is worth it. Sobriety is worth it. I'm out to buy my Kawasaki sport bike tomorrow ^_^ (Take up new hobbies!)

PEACE!
-LZPZ

#1 How many times have you done this?
#2 Are you off EVERYTHING now or still 'recreationally using' this or that?
# Are you or were you addicted, or do you consider yourself and addict?

kayla_needs_help wrote:

Just my thoughts

Kayla

Suboxone is to stop withdrawal symptoms but toy don't have to stay on it any longer than toy have withdrawal. However what drug are you going to use to get off the suboxone because now you are addicted to that l

I was on Sub for seven years.The doc started me out on 4 mg's then 8 on up to 24 mg's he gave every day to take. I never took 24 mg's so I could build a very big stockpile of them. I received news about a year ago that the doc was moving and I'd have to find a new doc. Well I couldn't without driving 2-3 hours every month one way. So I started weaning down all the way down to 1 mg over the next years reducing the dose in half at first than get maintained and continue more till I completely stopped which was 11 days ago. I had one bad day, day three, then everything sort of worked out up to today and still fine. I did have some 5 mg vic's I used but one pill every 4-6 hours if needed. I don't advise that to others if you're not really sure you can handle sobriety. Don't want to get started again but it did help me and I am never going back, EVER! It's been a bad 20 years I've lost and I'm not losing anymore. It can be done to get off but you really have to want to change your life, and your friends in some cases.
Oh what got me on subs? I was taking 3-4, 30 mg Roxys plus 140 mg's of methadone a day. Prescribed from another doctor. I was on that for quite a while. Withdrawing off that was the worst thing I ever felt in my life, the minor sub withdrawals were nothing compared to that! NOTHING!!!!!

Your right, it's a total scam. But I think your mixing up the physical and the mental addictions. Every person is truly different and the fact that you could use the subs for a 5-day period and then, like magic! Your cured, is great.. But sm ppl have been using for so long their brains physiologically change. That's not to say that they can't quit, or am I making excuses, but subs give ppl a chance to function again in society. I will never do H again. Even though the subs are a highly addictive drug, it's not copping or dealing. My doc told me straight up, "eventually it's gonna hurt.. For awhile. And there's nothin you can do about it". The question is when, and how prepared you are to deal with it. The subs give you time to get ready for the everyday battle ahead. But your totally right, there's a lot a docs who jus want the $$$

I don't know how to do this posting info on the computer, but I want to get off subutex also. I have been on it for over two years. I don't know exactly how much I take because I just break off like a 2mg piece and take it when I start feeling w/d. I made it three straight weeks cold turkey last January and I still couldn't get up and out of bed. I was SO sick. I couldn't shower, eat, etc. I just laid there for three weeks. When I went back to my doctor, I screwed up SO bad, he asked me if I wanted to just try Xanax and I SHOULD have gone that route rather than back on the suboxone. I have gone through the Xanax withdrawal and its hard but it actually does end after like 10 days. It was 21 days and I didn't feel ANY better than I did the first week. These pharmaceuticals are made to cause you to continue using them, I'm not naive, but I really thought that if I made it through the first two weeks, that I would make it all the way off. My question is this, how did you taper down and get OFF of subutex?

I wish I read this three weeks ago. I had a 300-500 mg per day oxy habit going on for years.

Went on Suboxone Jan 21 2013 started with 16 mg, tapering 2mg every 4-5 days. I'm now at 6.

I hope to off completely in about two more weeks. Am I being unrealistic??

In order to taper off suboxone, you have to stay on it for a while.

One advantage of staying on suboxone rather than just substituting it then immediately trying to withdraw is that it offers one the chance to stabilize and get their lives in order.

Making a general statement like "it's crazy to stay on suboxone" is really ignorant and irresponsible.

I would like to point out that benzodiazepine withdrawal can last MUCH longer than opioid withdrawal and can be dangerous, even fatal.

Many people make ridiculous statements like "methadone (or suboxone) is the hardest drug to get off."

Benzodiazepine withdrawal (Alprazolam, or Xanax, is a benzodiazepine) can last upto 2 years. Benzodiazepine withdrawal can be dangerous, even fatal.

The acute phase of opioid withdrawal, for opioids like methadone or suboxone, is unlikely to last longer than 14 days (and usually not longer than 10 days). The post-acute phase can last upto a year.

If you get really addicted to benzodiazepines, then you'll find them way more difficult to give up than opioids.

Benzodiazepines can be very, very helpful for opioid withdrawal, but it's best to stick to using them only during the acute phase of withdrawal.