Hey, i'm want to start having more protein in my diet so i can build more muscle mass, what does anyone think of drinking raw eggs? i drank one last night, i beat it up and drank it, and it didnt really bother me, so i was thinking about drinking 2 eggs in the morning, and after i exercise and mabe before i go to bed, or is that too much? I know theres potential chance of samonella aswell, i check if the eggs have cracks on them, of if they smell funny after i crack them.
Can anyone recomend the best way to drink them? ways i might benifit more from drinking them in certain ways, like should i crack 2 into a cup and drink them without beating them if i can, or mix them with a cup of milk, is it best to drink them before or after a work out?

Soul Walker, to be quite honest, there really is no good, scientifically-supported reason to consume raw eggs, unless you are doing it for culinary reasons (like in a Cesar Salad or in homemade mayo.)

The idea that the protein in a raw egg is more "whole" or better digested by the body is a complete and utter myth. In fact, it's just the opposite.

There was a study published in the The Journal of Nutrition that actually measured bio-availability of protein in raw eggs versus cooked eggs. Turns out that cooked eggs were 40% more bio-available to the body for protein uptake than raw eggs. This was not an animal study, but rather one conducted in human beings.

And as some others have pointed out, raw egg whites contain a compound called Avidin, which binds with the vitamin biotin and prevents the body from absorbing it. The avidin not only binds with the biotin already present in the egg, but also any biotin consumed along with the egg. So let's say you were putting the raw egg in with a whey protein shake: In that case, the Avidin blocks the biotin in the whey protein from being absorbed by the body as well.

When you cook the egg white, the Avidin is neutralized and biotin uptake goes on as usual.

The safety issues around salmonella poisoning are probably overstated, and the USDA now admits that. There always is SOME risk associated with eating raw eggs in things like dressings or mousses, but it's most risky for children, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems.

For a really in-depth look at how the whole "raw eggs are better for atheletes" myth got started, you can check out the following article:

Are Raw Eggs Safe To Eat or More Healthy Than Cooked Eggs?

Best of luck!
matt

**edited by moderator** **web addresses are not allowed**

TheFitnessNerd wrote:

Best of luck!
matt

Wow -- surprised the Moderator removed my relevant external link. Reviewed the Terms of Use for the discussion board and saw no prohibition of external links. I did see this: "No posting of external links to irrelevant web sites." Hard to see how a detailed article on the health issues associated with eating raw eggs is not relevent to the discussion here.

Not to be snarky, but the contextual advertising links within the content are far less relevent (and in some cases, completely irrelevent) to the discussion here. But I guess if you make some coin off them, every thing is okay.

A tip: One of the ways you'll encourage people to participate in your discussion board is to allow them to link out to revelent content -- whether that's someone elses, or their own. Blocking outbound links in order to serve up contextual ads and keep people on your site doesn't really seem to jiibe with the whole idea of a discussion board. So I guess I'll be taking my consumer-generated-content somewhere else.

Bummer -- because you have some decent participants here.

I haven't stuck with the drinking raw eggs, I'm not drinking protein shakes, they don't taste to good, but i feel good after i drink a protein shake, can you recommend a way to mix it? at the minute am just mixing it with water in the blender, and drinking after a work out session, a drink about a cup glass and a half, when is the best time to drink protein shakes? also what about using milk as well as water whather in the same shake or mixing with milk in the afternoon, mixing with water after a workout and milk again before i go to bed....

First of all, there are many different protein shakes out there. You need to experiment a little bit to find out what works for you. If you buy a cheap brand, you may find it has a cheap taste. But I understand that you don't want to pay a lot of money and find that you don't like it either. So I would suggest buying a moderately priced container of protein to start out. Most vanilla flavors are kind of bland and lack a lot of flavor, but do not taste bad. Chocolates are really hard to mess up and are a good call on any new brands (muscle milk, GNC Pro performance, ON etc...) A little trick I picked up when buying proteins: I bought a GNC Pro Performance Strawberry flavor protein and thought it was horrible. But I was stuck with a 5 lb tub that I did not want to throw away. So I ended up mixing it with flavors I did like to make it taste better as not to waste my money.

As far as mixing it with milk, water, or a shake blend. Personally I find that making shakes take too long and are not really worth the effort. Milk does make the shake taste better, but it lacks the mixing qualities of water and you sometimes are left with a clumpy mess. Water mixes the best, is quick, and is free out of the sink. Shaking generally mixes better and I suggest mixing in a container with a wide mouth as to allow the scooper to fit and avoid spillage or using a funnel.

Now, as for when you should drink a shake. Here goes. When you first wake up, you need to take a protein shake. Your body is in a catabolic state and hasn't been fed for hours and hours. To avoid protein breakdown I suggest taking a shake with breakfast. The other 2 most important times of the day to drink a shake are before you work out and within an hour afterwards. On non workout days, i suggest trying to get at least 20 grams of protein every 4 hours. The experts say to have 6 meals a day, each containing about 300 calories and 30 grams of protein. This does not mean that you have to have 6 meals and 6 protein shakes though. Eating meals high in protein or getting at least 20 grams of protein every few hours should be sufficient.

Now remember, protein and calorie intake all depend on whether you want to increase size or get cut, your current weight, and how much you usually eat as an individual. Some people just need more food than others due to their metabolism, so find what works for you. You can find articles and research their take on how you should eat depending on your wants.

Lastly, the difference between proteins. The best source is from whey. And in buying a whey protein, you will see that there are isolate and concentrate proteins Isolate proteins are more expensive, but get absorbed into your body quicker. This means that they can best be utilized right after a workout due to your body's need to repair. Concentrate proteins are usually cheaper and can be used throughout the day or whenever you get a chance to take them. Then there are brands like Optimum Nutrition who make a blend of the 2 proteins. It is a little pricy, but the gold standard is a great shake. The isolates get absorbed quickly while the concentrates are slowly absorbed. Similar to an extended release medication, which optimizes the intake of the proteins.

I suggest asking friends or other people in the weight room questions about their protein shakes. If they are your friends, not just someone you spot, ask if you can try a scoop and try it out to see if you like it. And look online at sites that are highly recognized to see if they can help you out further if you have any more questions.

Good luck!

do you need to exercise and drink eggs ??
or can i just drink eggs and muscles will still grow??

Raw eggs are healthier than cooked ones, the quality of the proteins and other nutriments is far more superior, raws eggs were used and still in hospitals to give a boost to the immune system of infirm people and patients.
Try to consume organic eggs in order to ovoid salmonella.
For you question you d better consume your food before exercise regardless the nature of you food.

I think it would be better to eat them raw. I looked up this question because I'm doing a biology class and am reading about the structure of protein. The textbook says that the final shape of a protein is very important to its function, and when proteins are exposed to extreme heat they undergo irreversible changes in shape called "denaturation."  Heating egg whites causes a protein called albumin to coagulate. This causes denatuation because the normal bonding between the R groups in the protein have been disturbed, and once the protein loses its shape, it is no longer able to perform its usual function.

I was really curious about this because I believe in eating foods as close to their natural forms as possible, in attempt to avoid damaging them and their nutrition.

I found this info from my biology textbook:  Inquiry into Life by Sylvia S. Mader

I use like 3 eggs or two, how ever many u want pore some milk spoon full of sugar a tab a vinalla extract and a bannana taists great...

ive been drinking two raw eggs every morning for the last week and ive had no problems, the way ive done it is by putting two eggs in a cup, followed by a spoon of sugar and then whisk, i find it goes down quite nicely, Hope this helps.

I think you 're making a mistake here,
for your body: protein you consume is only a source of amino acids, it uses those amino acids to make its own proteins. Once digested, it does not matter if the protein has lost its tertiairy or quaternary structure, it's the amino acids (and overmore: the composition and amino acid ratio) that are important.

Jessicaoxo wrote:

quote to my message of 30 seconds ago ;)

you can do this and drink it after your workout 8oz of water two scoops of whey protein and half of a banana blend that and you will like the taste

As you are a newbie in biology and medicine,your lack of knowledge can be forgiven:).First of all your body doesnt need that chicken protein to function in your body.It just digests it with strong enzimes and breaks the bones itself.So who cares about denaturation of that chicken protein.It will not function thats correct but in the chicken body!.Secondly proteins are made up of amino acids.Your body needs the amino-acids not the whole structure of a chicken protein.The point is digestibilty of the protein and absorbabilty of the amino acids.

Can I drink raw eggs before going too bed or if I what to train inmidatly