My daughter is 39 weeks pregnant and I'm concerned that she is exhibiting signs of pre-eclampsia. She is seen by a midwife every week and saw one today who didn't feel there was any reason for concern. I want her to go to emergency before it's too late. She has been throwing up after every meal for nearly three weeks now and lost nearly 20 pounds. She has never had an eating disorder - we live together and I'd know. She is 33 and this is her 3rd child. Her first child was born after 5 hours of labor and the second was born within 2 hours of being dilated at 2 cm. A week ago, her feet and ankles started swelling and she can't get them down, no matter how much time she spends in bed. She actually gained 3 pounds this week, which the midwife thought was good, but she's got to have AT LEAST that much fluid in her feet and ankles. Then, four days ago, I noticed that her palms were RED... not pink, but red like a severe sunburn. I have been asking her to go to emergency to get checked out but she said she'd ask the midwife about it. Today's midwife( she never sees the same one) told her there's nothing to worry about. She's due May 5th and finally, at my daughter's insistance, they checked and she is 2cm. She had been told that they would induce her at the first sign of dilation because of her short labors and we live 45 minutes away from the hospital they use. Instead, she was given an appointment for the 4th and sent home because today's miswife does not believe in inducing - her sister apparently had problems so she is against it. My question is, should I hit my daughter over the head and take her to emergency - she's decided just to let nature take it's course and doesn't seem to feel the vomiting, swelling and red palms are a problem - I'm not so sure. Am I just being over protective?? I don't want to lose my daughter and I don't want her to lose the baby this close to delivery. Could a REAL doctor give me an opinion?? Thank You.

It is very understandable that you are this worried about your daughter and her undelivered baby, but you should also be aware of that that she is a big girl and responsible for her own decisions, as long as these are not life threatening. But according to the symptoms she has, I would suggest that she makes the appt at her hospital as a constant medical care might be required. The baby delivery is due in a week and I think she should be monitored every day by the professionals who would give her the proper care and treatment if necessary.
Have you checked your daughter’s blood pressure? If not, you do it the sooner the better so that you can be sure if the condition of pre-eclampsia occurred.
The other symptoms are swelling, sudden weight gain, headaches and changes in vision. Your daughter needs to be examined so that pre-eclampsia could be diagnosed.