I started having pain in my lower back and suspected on kidney infection. I took urine sample for analysis to the lab, as my doctor told me. In my urine, there were found epithelial cells. There also were found Escherichia bacteria, that caused infection, but obviously, bacteria were not the only cause of the pain. Is it serious condition when epithelial cells are found in urine?

Epithelial cells are common ingredient of urine sediment. They are usually reported as low, moderate or many. Increased amount of epithelial cells indicate inflammation or infection of urogenital tract. Cells that are found may be from genital tract, bladder or from kidneys, which is less common. Increased amount of cells is sometimes sign of previous, cured infection.

Hello there, since mangine has answered your question I would just add that please make sure you follow the instructions your doctor gave you. This is very important if you want to cure the infection and since one of the causes of epithelial cells in your urine can be previously cured inflammation I presume that you have troubles with UTI and kidney infections and you need to take care of yourself a little bit better.

Try to improve your immune system by making some nutrition adjustments and this includes increasing intake of healthier foods instead of junk and fatty foods and beverages containing alcohol and caffeine.  

I hope you will resolve your problem fast and that you will avoid its reoccurrence.