This is my first post at this forum. I am hoping you can help me solve an issue I have been struggling with. 

I have always had a very oily, over active skin, as long as I can remember, and nothing really ever solved that. I'm now 42 and I've been noticing that a fair number of small bumps have been proliferating all over my face. At first, I thought they were pimples, but when they didn't go away, I started looking further. I have concluded that they are due to sebaceous hyperplasia - the pictures match, the description matches. If it quacks like a duck, right?

I hate these bumps. If what I have is indeed sebaceous hyperplasia, which I'm strongly assuming, that opens the door for solutions. But the information I have read is conflicting, and asking advice from a bunch of skin care junkies seems like the best bet at this point - I don't want to waste money on a dermatologist unless I am sure that I would benefit from seeing one!

Do you have sebaceous hyperplasia, or know something about it? What would you recommend as the best solution for this skin problem in someone who has always had oily skin and still does?

Thanks!

Health Advisor

I'm sorry you are dealing with that, hon. That really sucks. Of course you know this sebaceous hyperplasia is pretty harmless medically, but cosmetically is another story altogether and I totally get you for wanting to be rid of them. There's quite a few treatment options actually. They include freezing (cryotherapy), light therapy, laser therapy... all that expensive stuff you have to go to a salon for. You can also have the bigger ones cut out actually, but it might leave scarring. If you're patient and want something cheaper, oral isotretinoin has shown good results so I'd look into that. It might take you like six weeks to see an improvement though...

Is sebaceous hyperplasia the same as sebaceous filaments? If they are, then your best chance to keep them under control is using an exfoliator with BHA on a regular basis. Sebaceous filaments never go away completely, but BHA does combat them and will keep them under control so that you will look better. I have also heard that clay masks are good for them, but I have never tried this myself so I am not sure. It is something you could try in any case, and if it doesn't work you will know you can tick that off your list. I think you can get them excised as well, but they will just fill up again if you pop them.

Hello. I can't tell you for sure, I can only suggest you see your dermatologist be sure what you are dealing with.  But I know something about this, I know something about sebaceous cyst on face treatment because my mom had problems with it and she was desperate about this. I know that there are so many treatments available for sebaceous hyperplasia and all come with certain risks, so that is why you need to consult your doctor. My mom discovered intralesional desiccation and she was happy about this. This is actually a procedure where the lesion is anesthetized using tiny needles and a fine needle is inserted into each lobule of the lesion and heated using electricity. It is totally helpful. 

First off, I'd see a dermatologist to confirm (or not, as the case may be) that you really do have sebaceous hyperplasia. You can then, once the diagnosis has been confirmed, choose to have the lesions removed with an electric needle. This is called intralesional desiccation. The advantage of this method is that it targets the exact areas in which you need treatment and that means you don't get scarring. There are other ways to get rid of the lesions as well, but this is the most popular and effective method available right now, so I would choose that.

I have rosacea and sebaceous hyperplasia papules too. It is really bad. It seems like every time I look in the mirror there's more of them and I hate them with a vengeance. I did have laser treatment to fix them some time ago, but to no avail. More papules appeared in no time and it achieved nothing for me. I would love to at the very least make sure I don't get new ones because they look terrible. If anyone has tips I would also be extremely grateful to hear them. This is really ruining the way I feel about my appearance.

Celebrity

The treatment option of choice for sabaceous hyperplasia is electrodessication these days, which is then followed up with full-face carbon dioxide laser resurfacing. This treatment tackles the lesions you already have and I also understand that it changes the skin's texture in such a way that you are less likely to develop future lesions. A bonus is that this treatment plan also reduces your wrinkles! However, because it is not suitable for people who have bacterial or fungal infections and there are some other contraindications as well, you will want to make sure to provide a full medical history before going ahead with this treatment. 

Celebrity

Have you considered natural remedies by any chance? I know that some people use apple cider vinegar, in pure form, on their sebaceous hyperplasia with success. The vinegar, which is acidic of course, does a good job of penetrating the skin more deeply and dissolving the lesions. It also prevents the formation of new lesions because ACV keeps oil production in check. 

Not personally having any experience with apple cider vinegar for sebaceous hyperplasia, I cannot guarantee that it will work, but I would be trying this myself in your situation. You have nothing to lose and can always try more invasive treatments later.

Rosie

I have them on my forehead. I read about removal options and also that they tend to grow back in most cases so I decided to learn to live with my sebaceous hyperplasia, because it is harmless and just looks a bit weird, by having bangs cut. Problem solved. Still, wearing makeup it is quite possible to conceal them nearly completely. I for one don't want to be stuck in a cycle of having to have them removed all the time. I have heard that the removal can cause scarring as well and that is just as bad if not worse.