Locked New Topic Followed by 3 people
Hi, i'm a 19 year old male . When i have some alcohol, even if it's just as little as 3 pints i get a fast heart rate when i go to bed. It keeps me up all night and i then get mild chest pains the day after. Has any 1 else experienced this?

First off, 3 pints is NOT a "little" bit of alcohol. I would say you need to cut back or stop drinking if it has that effect on you.

if i have been drinking i often wake in the night with a heart rate of 160 beats per minute. nobody knows why

I am a 37 year old female, regularly after alcohol, when I wake up during the night, my heart beat is racing and it takes ages to calm it down. I know its a side effect of alcohol, but why does it happen.

I am a 44 year old female. If I drink more than 2 glasses of wine or a few hard liquor drinks I will wake up in the middle of the night with my heart beating so fast you can't even feel a second beat. I have never taken my heart rate but I know it's 180 or higher. It usually only happens if I have had alcohol. It use to do this only every once in a while but now it does it every time I drink. I do not experience any other symptoms at the time.

Guest wrote:

I have this same problem
ive had ekg after ekg after ekg all the blood work and it shows nothing. I had 3 glasses of champagne on new years and again woken up dead out of my sleep heart rate through the roof... and when I get upset my chest pounds very hard... they want me to wear a 30 day heart monitor... anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with me??

I get an elevated heart rate after drinking too. Likewise, it isn't until several hours after that I feel it - especially when you got to bed - and then a little bit of anxiety might kick in to :-(

I found that some drinks have more potential than others and avoid red wine now. I drink most light beer (~2.5%) rather than those of 5% alcohol. I think that even half a glass would be enough to have an effect, but it is stronger - and takes longer to wear off - if I overdo it - which is not that often these days.

My BPM goes up to about 20 or 30 above my resting (rate) and sometimes I sweat a little through the night as well.

I have the same affect if I do a short period of exercise too. Although, when I actually started to get fit (nothing too strenuous - probably bad idea to go mad here initially), it did have an effect, i.e. symptoms less apparent.

So I guess that's what I've got to do again - certainly won't harm me getting fit.

I am 25 years old and have the same problem whenever I drink. Even if I have only one drink, my heart beats rapidly when I try to go to bed, or it wakes me in the middle of the night, and I can't go back to sleep. I also have severe heartburn whenever I drink any alcohol. I wonder if that's part of the problem? Does anyone have any solutions or explanations? All I can do is totally avoid alcohol.

This happens to me as well. I have searched for the meaning of this, and it is a chemical that is a toxin produced by your liver as the alcohol is being broken down.
It can be quite frightening to awake in the early hours of the morning and have your heart racing.
I always pop a Xanax, and it subsided.

i think drug are dangerous on the human body.

I am a 38 year old female and have had this reaction to alcohol for 11 years. This is my first attempt to research on my own. I did give up alcohol for about 9 years but started to enjoy a few glasses of wine with friends and dinners. It took about a year to start bothering me again. If any of you have not had an echo cardiogram, NOT an EKG, I would suggest that. I found out that I have Mitral Valve Prolapse (MPV) 11 years ago when the heart rate thing first happpened(and it wasn't just with alcohol). I recently started having a lot of heart palpitations and the mid-night racing among a lot of other symtoms. I.E. excessive fatigue and general chronic pain. My endocrinologist suggested that I research Mitral Valve Prolapse SYNDROME! I did in fact fit the profile! I have since ordered books and found that Alcohol is usually not tolerated. SUGAR in any form(even breads and pasta too) has also caused the same effect. Pay attention to how you react to sugar w/out alcohol consumption. I would also recommend a glucose tolerance test for all of us!

Glad I found this site. 3 times in the past 2 weeks I have gone to bed after a few glasses of red wine only to find my body unsettled and my heart rate up. I am very atheletic and my restoing heart rate is usually 54-60. one night it hit 100 and my heart felt like it was going to bust through my chest. Last night it happened again. HR was 81 and it took 20 minutes to breathe it down so I could sleep. Dr. did EKG normal,I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and am on synthroid 75mcg/day. and Premature ovarian failure. All blood work came back normal except low cortisol. Going to endocrinologist in MArch to ge that checked out. Can't stand the feeling of high HR I feel it through my whole body especially my torso..My whole body pulsates. I do suffer form generalized anxiety but when I go to bed my mind is not racing and I am tired ready to sleep. I am going to stop drinking wine at nigh and see if it helps! Thanks

Mine is the same way. I never used to be like this....just the past year or so. I wake up after a few drinks and my heart rate is through the roof! I can't sleep while this is happening. I have taken a Xanax as well to help slow it down, and it works. I wouldn't really recommend doing that everytime you drink though. I wish someone could figure out why this is going on suddenly! Good luck to everyone else who wants some answers! :-D

Wow, this is great! I have had to avoid alcohol in any form for several years. If I have ANY alcohol, even in a dessert if the alcohol isn't cooked off, I have three nights of heart pounding and very disturbing feelings. I call it nighttime weirdness, for lack of a better explanation. Sometimes I wonder if I am going to actually live until morning, which probably sounds a bit melodramatic unless you have actually experienced one or more of these nights. It is like adrenaline is being injected at random moments, like someone jumped out of a closet and scared the snot out of you, again and again. I am not given to panic attacks. I do have atrial fibrillation problems, but the 30 day holter monitor showed that these nighttime alcohol reactions are not AFib. I have had an electrocardiogram and ultrasound, and everything looks good. It just seems to be some reaction to alcohol. If anyone knows how to stop it, please let us all know, because I do miss my occasional margarita and a glass of fine wine.

Guest wrote: