I am an average size 55 yr old women in good health who has developed a fat pocket on the inside of my leg in the knee area. I have had it checked out by my dr. to make sure there was nothing else wrong and deduced that the area was fat. My legs are not real heavy so it really stand out like a bulge and is very embarrassing. I can not wear shorts anymore. This started about 2 yrs ago after I had back surgery and was not active for over a year. I gained about 40 lbs and have worked off 25 of it, but the fat reamains around my knees. What can I do to get rid of that area other than liposuction. Food, diet, exercises, WHAT?

I have the same thing, it developed after heart surgery when I rapidly lost about 30 pounds. I have had it checked by a doctor also and there is no medical reason for it to be there. Since lipo isn't covered by insurance and I cannot afford the out of pocket expense I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could treat it myself. It is so bad I cannot wear shorts anymore even the rest of my leg is in good shape.

Please HELP!!!

Same problem...

The area just above the knee bulges out to make it almost wider than the inner thigh. The area is very "cottage cheesy". I have tried lipo suction and it made the problem worse. The fat returned and was even more "cottage cheesy". I have asked other medical professionals who do laser, etc. They are honest about it- they say that right now there is absolutely nothing that is going to cure it.

The best thing I can do, they say, is exercise (cardio more than anything). This will, however, reduce my fat everywhere and I am not fat anywhere else. What I am trying to do right now is Hot Yoga to release toxins within the whole body and increase circulation. I also started to drink Ginseng tea which is supposed to increase circulation. Hopefully these things will help.

I developed a fat bulge on the inner side of my left knee. It is so unsightly that I will not wear shorts.  I am surprised that liposuction did not help.  I was hoping I could get rid of it with lipo when I could afford it. 

I think its in the genes.  I'm of eastern european descent and inherited my mothers body type.  I've lost the weight I wanted but the bulge is still there.  I just accepted that it won't go away. |-O

I agree with CindyR68.  I have large fat pockets on the inside of both knees & have had them for a long time.  I remember that my mom (who was very thin) had the same problem.  Lately, I've been very frustrated with this situation when I try to buy jeans or long pants.  It was never a problem when I was a little heavier, but in the past few years I've lost 30 pounds, but not much came off my knees & thighs so now almost all jeans & pants that fit me in the hips (Misses size 4) are too tight around my knees.  Clothing manufacturers assume that if your hips are narrow your legs are thin, which is not necessarily true.   It's so frustrating to exercise, eat healthy & still have fat knees.  I wish I knew how to solve this problem!

Ladies,

Please look up "Lipedema".

Thank you.

sheila washington, dc

I looked it up and it's not even close to the problem.

You are right, not even close to the problem

I have inherited this problem from my mum too. I found that inner thigh exercises - leg lifts, pull-downs etc helped greatly, as they 'lifted' the whole area. The lumps have returned since I have not exercised for a while. Good luck.

I'm 32..and I desperately need a solution to this. It has already killed my social life and I'm not kidding there. I hate wearing skinny pants, shorts and short dresses..so what are my options? baggy loose fitting ugly pants! Ugh I hate this. How come theres no solution to this?

I too have the same thing. lost over 50 lbs and went from inactivivity to very active. Just cant get rid of it. I was thinking about Lipo but if it does not work what is the sense of going thru it if it wont help. I have been exercisisng and dieting and still have it. if anyones knows please tell us. Thought i was the only one

Check out various websites re lipedema. That may be your problem. Hope it helps.

I have the SAME thing....I have always had thick legs even when I wore a size 8 I could not wear "boots" because my legs were too large and now the fat pockets on my knees....wow!!! there has to be an answer, it did not start until I got my hips replaced.

I have stuggled with this my whole life. The only releif I have found has been estrogen blockers, avoiding plastic and parabens in addition to excercise and diet. As soon as I stopped all of the above it cane back. If surgery was the option I would totally do it.