Water suppliers nationwide, in the US, are required to supply consumers with annual Water Quality Reports or Consumer Confidence Reports at least once a year at around this time.

“Consumers should take this yearly opportunity to check their water fluoride levels,” says attorney Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc. "If your water department adds fluoride chemicals, tell them and your legislators to stop. They are wasting your money and endangering your health," says Beeber.

“If your water is not fluoridated, don’t be complacent. The American Dental Association has mobilized their army of dentists nationwide to go to your legislators and convince them that you need to swallow more fluoride (a) without any knowledge of how much fluoride you are already ingesting,” says Beeber

Dental fluorosis (discolored teeth), the visible sign of fluoride overdose, now afflicts up 48% of school children, reports the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Fluoride's purported benefits are topical but its risks are systemic, says the CDC. "This means there is no good reason to swallow fluoride and no logical justification for water fluoridation," says Beeber.

A 2006 review of peer-reviewed studies in respected journals by the prestigious National Research Council (NRC) reveals fluoride is a health risk even at low levels added to water supplies. Especially harmed are high-water drinkers, babies, kidney and thyroid patients. The NRC panel found that fluoride’s links to cancer and lowered IQ are plausible.

Because of the NRC report, the CDC and the American Dental Association both advise that infant formula should NOT be mixed with fluoridated water.

The NRC report also caused the National Kidney Foundation to advise that “Individuals with CKD [Chronic Kidney Disease] should be notified of the potential risk of fluoride exposure.” Too much fluoride damages bones and malfunctioning kidneys do not excrete fluoride properly allowing a toxic build-up in the bones.

Besides, fluoride ingestion is not stopping tooth decay in primary teeth.

According to a systematic review of fluoride supplement research published in the November 2008 Journal of the American Dental Association, "There is weak and inconsistent evidence that the use of fluoride supplements prevents dental caries in primary teeth." In fact, the authors could find only one study, from China, showing any fluoride benefit to primary teeth and that study was probably biased with a high withdrawal rate, the authors write.

Fluoride supplements never underwent FDA testing.(1)

"Fluoridation began with the untested belief that ingested fluoride prevented tooth decay in small children, only. Evidence-based-dentistry now shows that swallowing fluoride poses dental risks without benefits to the very children fluoridation was supposed to help," says Beeber.

"It may...be that fluoridation of drinking water does not have a strong protective effect against early childhood caries (cavities) reports
dentist Howard Pollick, University of California, and colleagues, in the Winter 2003 Journal of Public Health Dentistry.

Beeber advises: Call your water department, ask if fluoride chemicals are added into your water supply. Then ask them and your local legislators, “Who has the authority to stop fluoridation?” Organize your neighbors to lobby the appropriate agency or department to have them cease fluoridation. You will be saving your community money and improving overall health with no increased dental risk. In fact, many studies show that when fluoridation ends, tooth decay rates actually go down or stay the same.

Fluoride does occur naturally in most water systems. But over 90% of fluoridating communities use silicofluorides, waste products of phosphate fertilizer production, which carry trace amounts of lead, arsenic, mercury and other toxins, according to NSF International, the governing body over water additives.(2)

Opposition to fluoridation is scientific, respectable and growing in numbers and political popularity.

On November 4, 2008, 53 US cities rejected fluoridation joining a growing list of communities saying "No" to fluoridation.

Dr. Joey Hensley, a respected practicing physician serving in the Tennessee legislature, urges all Tennessee Water Districts to stop fluoridation. At least 31 Tennessee water districts have already complied.

Over 2,500 professionals signed a statement urging the US Congress to stop water fluoridation until Congressional hearings are conducted, citing scientific evidence that fluoridation, long promoted to fight tooth decay, is ineffective and has serious health risks. See statement: http://www.fluorideaction.org/statement.august.2007.html

Also, 11 Environmental Protection Agency unions, representing over 7000 environmental and public health professionals, called for a moratorium on drinking water fluoridation programs across the country, and have asked EPA management to recognize fluoride as posing a serious risk of causing cancer in people. (3)

Fluoridation is now a political issue usually defended and promoted, without valid science, by organized dentistry and their members in federal and state health departments as well as those in private practice.

For more information on fluoride's adverse health effects, visit the Fluoride Action Network Health Page at http://www.FluorideAction.Net/health

Join the 21,000 Americans calling on Congress to stop fluoridation here: http://congress.FluorideAction.Net

SOURCE: New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc.
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof
http://www.FluorideAction.Net

References:

a) http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=3589

1) August 2000 letter from NJ Assemblyman Kelly to Senator Robert Smith http://www.fluoridealert.org/fda.htm

2) www.nsf.org/business/water_distribution/pdf/NSF_Fact_Sheet.pdf

3) Press Release August 19, 2005, “EPA Unions Call for Nationwide Moratorium on Fluoridation, Congressional Hearing on Adverse Effects, Youth Cancer Cover Up,” Contact: Dr. William Hirzy, Vice-President NTEU Chapter 280

http://www2.fluoridealert.org/Alert/United-States/National/EPA-unions-call-for-moratorium-on-fluoride-in-drinking-water

Excellent post. Fluoridation is one of the biggest frauds of our time, and few people are even aware of how lethal it is.
Thank you!

MMG23 wrote:

Thank you!

I'm curious--can you explain to me what you can do if you want to avoid fluoridated water? I live in a large urban area so getting non-fluoridized water would be very hard for me. What would you recommend?

The best purification process for water is reverse osmosis. You can buy reverse osmosis water from most grocery stores, or even a filter for your home. I personally find it convenient to get gallon jugs and refill them (It's only .30 per refill). Be sure that you are not drinking tap water, or using it in cooking.

Fluoridated toothpaste should be avoided as well. Natural toothpaste is pretty easy to find... health food stores and grocery stores will carry them.

MMG23 wrote:

The only thing I could find at the store was a Brita filter. Is there specifically a type of filter that takes fluoride out or something like that? I am trying to figure this out. Also, for toothpaste, are there any brands that you recommend? I worry about that because I don't want to have a buildup of plaque or cavities...

You might have to go to a specialty store for a reverse osmosis filter. I haven't purchased one yet and still use the refilled jugs, so I'm not quite sure.

I use Jason and Kiss My Face brand toothpaste, but there's a lot of other ones out there too. Fluoride has no impact on cavities or plaque, so fluoride free toothpaste is not going to clean your teeth an less than toothpaste containing fluoride.

MMG23 wrote:

I guess I am going to have to search for a specialty store. I guess what I'm confused by though is that my understanding is that the reaction in your mouth is that calcium is a less stable molecule and that when you brush your teeth with fluorinated toothpaste that the calcium is replaced by a fluoride ion that is more stable and less likely to break down and cause you to get cavities. Have I misunderstood that? Please let me know.

Nope. Fluoride isn't even a natural substance. It's an industrial by-product, actually. (YUCK!)

I've been careful to avoid fluoride my whole life and have yet to get a cavity!

Pictures of what fluoride does to your teeth:

http://fluoridealert.org/dental-fluorosis.htm

MMG23 wrote:

Wow. Those pictures are pretty awful. Fortunately that's never happened to me and I've never had a cavity either. Thanks for all your help! When did you learn about all this stuff?

This is ridiculous. The public is largely misinformed on the topic of fluoridated water. The fluoride levels in the public water supply are SO very small yet it gives so much benefit to the teeth. Your bones and teeth NEED fluoride to replenish the minerals lost by the acid carbohydrates cause. YES, dental fluorosis can occur in children who ingest too much fluoride, but guess what the problem is there? The parents not teaching them how to brush properly: too much TOOTHPASTE swallowed. Wow think about it.

ALSO: read this found on the NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE website
"In one of the studies reviewed for the PHS report, scientists at the National Cancer Institute evaluated the relationship between the fluoridation of drinking water and the number of deaths due to cancer in the United States during a 36-year period, and the relationship between water fluoridation and number of new cases of cancer during a 15-year period. After examining more than 2.2 million cancer death records and 125,000 cancer case records in counties using fluoridated water, the researchers found no indication of increased cancer risk associated with fluoridated drinking water."

Water containing high % of flouride will cause white patches on the skin and damages the teeth

If you do the research objectively, you will find that fluoride is by no means a nutrient, much less one needed for bones/teeth such as calcium and vitamin d. In areas of our country (most other industrialized countries ban water fluoridation) that have the highest amount of fluoride present, you will also find the highest amount of tooth decay and osteoporosis as a direct result.

Check out the most up-to-date toxicity lists. You will find fluoride sitting right inbetween arsenic and lead. And I don't believe you can find an argument good enough to convince any educated person that arsenic and lead are non-toxic as well!

I've heard many people say that although fluoride is toxic, small amounts won't hurt you, but I beg to differ. A toxin is a toxin, and any amount is harmful to your health.

That's like saying as long as you only eat one lead paint chip a day, you'll be OK!

Guest wrote:

MMG23, I'm not sure if you're still around but if you have a rebuttal to this post, I would like to hear it. I would like to know how much of that is true. Thanks!