Hello, my name is gail and I recently had hemorrhoid surgery on thurs 9/23/10 I have 22 internal stitches and 13 external.. I have been experiencing so much pain like every one.. I started to read some of the other ppls responses , and it scared me, to read 2-3 weeks out of work..?
I have so much pain, that I literally have to take my pain meds every 5 hrs.. or if I don't by the 6th hour i'm crying and can't breath.. I have been taking percocet 1-1/2 every 5 hrs and 3 advil 200mg every 4 hrs.. I have also started taking MOM (milk of mag) every morning.. I have noticed since I started doing that , the pain has not been so bad ! I gave up on the sitz bath only because the pressure was unbearable ! I now fill the tub just enough to cover my behind, and I sit in there for 20 min about 15 times a day, I also stared using triple antibiotic ointment on my behind.. which I found really helps ! My pain is bearable when doing all these things.. I'm doing absolutley nothing at all.. hoping to recover fast ! I have alot of Friends who are RN"s and LPN's and a few dr. friends as well.. And they all told me I seem to be doing well for only having the surgery 3 days ago.. I wish everyone the best. and I know we are all different, and we all heal differently.. and some things that might work for one, may not work for others ! I will be checking back periodically.. %-)

Hi Gail
I had my surgery on 13th Septemebr 2010. Its 17th day today and i was back in work on Monday 2 weeks later. I stopped Percocet after 2 days, and went with Tylenol extra strength religiously 2 every 4-5 hrs. The percocet made me constipated and makes trying to have a bowel movement even worse. I spent hrs in and out of the bath and sitz bath because that helped enormously.
I took two stool softeners every day and metamucil once per day.
I still have discharge but pantyliners are taking care of that. I am completely off pain meds at this point, but sometimes take them once a day, if i have had a few bowel movements during the day which causes some burning. I do not know how many stiche's i had internally or externally, my surgeon doesn't tell you until your follow up visit, because of the anxiety it will add, to the anxiety you are going to have anyway. She did say a few words afterwards, "They were the worst i have ever seen", which is enough said at that point, i was expecting pain after that.
I was sweating profusely and pacing and screaming in pain up through day 9, trying to have bm, and to be honest i went in the bath and did it there, sounds gross but seemed the only way possible for me at the time.
I did push myself to go out on day 7 a short trip to Supermarket, and back. I found walking much less painful than trying to get comfortable lying down or sitting. If i was not doing something on my feet, i would be sitting in the bath. It took my mind of the uncomfortable throbbing.
Believe me we all heal differently, and up through day 11 i was not sure if i would be able to go to work, because i did not want to have a bm there, in case i was in agony afterwards. I came back and took my wipes and cream and am managing well.
Good luck I hope you heal up pretty fast!