New Reply New Topic Followed by 10 people

foods to eat post hemorrhoidectomy?

Health Advisor
Well, I don’t think that certain foods will aid in recovery but I am sure that soft stool is essential following the surgery as well as a prevention of developing additional hemorrhoids and prevention constipation that usually leads to hemorrhoids.

So basically, it is prevention with eating a lot of fiber foods, or even taking supplements or stool softeners.

Your surgeon or the nurses should give you better info regarding your individual case.

I wanted to bring this thread back since I was curious to what everyone ate or is eating from hemorrhoidectomy surgery. I'm at the end of my second week now. (1st week had the procedure 2nd week had emergency surgery to resuture a stitch that came out.) and have only had 2 bm's.

I have been eating only:
Applesauce
Jello
Mandarin oranges
Instant mashed potatoes
Canned green beans
Squash
Chicken noodle soup
Sherbert
Canned peaches

So far this has made me successful with non painful and smooth bm's but I'm getting sick of it and wanted to explore other routes without risking pain or anything. I start back at work on Monday =(

-Anthony

Fiber, fiber, fiber. My surgeon wan't very helpful, but my general practioner was. Prunes, blueberries, yams, fruits and vegetables in general. Fiber breads, etc. also good.

Drink lots of fluids.

Starches tend to be bad (more like constipation producing), so minimize pasta, white bread, potatos, etc.

I'm almost 2 weeks post op, still uncomfortable, but finally got good direction and am hopefully healing.

Hi

This is my second week post op and i will tell you i've been using sitz baths and eating less hard food and i had my bm last night. full week after the op and it was bit funny s i'm used to straining and the stool was soft and i had a bit of an irritation and then took a shower and do another sitz bath and i'm back at work.

had hemorrhoidectomy surgery 4 days ago and feels like hell :'( so so painful :-( trying not to eat doesnt help..so am opting for fruit (prunes and peaches) even ice on the site.. Just wished the pain would get better..in time I was told. Best wishes to anyone who has had this operation.

I just had mine 2 days ago. I'm in so much pain! This isn't like anything I've ever experienced before. I'm terrified of passing a BM after reading all these posts! My doc. was not helpful at all and he sent me home after the surgery without any pain killers!

your dr needs to be reported no pain killers is he crazy. the pain is horrible may god bless ur soul. I would have died without pain killers.

This is the beginning of the fourth week after my surgery. While I'm no longer in any pain, there is still some discomfort with BMs afterward. I use toilet paper that contains aloe and I also spray it with a special cleanser (Derma Health is the brand name if you're interested). I was off work for 3 weeks and when I started back yesterday (Monday), I noticed that I became fatigued around 3:00pm. I actually had to leave early and am home today.

I'm also experiencing chills (no fever). At first I was afraid it was some type of infection but here is no temperature.

As far as eating, that's an interesting topic for me, too. I've dropped 13 lbs in 3 weeks and my appetite still isn't back to normal. In fact, some foods that I used to enjoy now repulse me at the very thought of them, e.g., most meat (especially hamburger) and, for some strange reason, carbonated beverages. Also, I'm not sure if it's there is still some lingering psychological fear of a BM (which during the first 10 days were EXTREMELY painful even with Percocet) that kept me from eating but I still have to force myself to eat, especially dinner. I'm very concerned about my weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I can stand to lose more but not in this way, it's not healthy and I'm afraid I'm not getting enough nutrients which may further explain the fatigue and chills. I started taking a multi-vitamin today along with fiber supplements.

One thing I've been told by someone who had the surgery and then had to have it again later is not to stay on the toilet any longer than is necessary - even if it means you have to go back again a few minutes later to finish. Don't force it or you could find yourself back in the same shape. I sure as hell don't want to go through that again. There were times I actually wanted to die the pain was so bad and I'm an otherwise healthy 37 year old man.

Good luck to all of you who are still convalescing. It's difficult and everyone is different. I thought I'd be fine after just two weeks but I'm on week 4 and I'm still not exactly back to "normal" (my doc told me I'd need to plan to be off between 3-4 weeks but I honestly didn't think I'd need that long - I was wrong). So this week I've decided to do every other day (I work with software so I can work remotely, fortunately).

I had the operation and I was only on some hydromorphone painkillers for 2 days and after that the pain really wasn't bad enough for me to need them anymore. I am on my 4th day after surgery and I an still using gauze just to keep things clean and dry - a little anal leakage occurs (I change 4 times a day). My pain is very minimal and I have been on a rather strict liquid diet. I have been drinking Atkin's Mocha Latte shakes and eating cinnamon hard candies and last night I felt confident enough to eat some icecream :-). In combination with all of this, I used 1 Colace (dulcosate) stool softener each day before bed, however in fear of any solidity of my upcoming stool, I have upped it to 2-3 stool softeners each day over the past 2 days. I have also been drinking around half a gallon of water each day, along with no sugar added apple juice and drinking chicken broth. The dulcosate stool softeners are not harmful to your bowels and are much more suggested than any "stimulant" laxative for this occassion. You do not want your blood vessels in your rectum to have any added pressure, so use a softener that will not make you have the urge, only help soften for when you naturally have the urge. As far as pooping, I haven't had to yet, and from what I have felt today, probably won't need to for another day or two I am hoping. I increased the solidity of my food slightly today (had an activia yogurt and 3 strawberries inside of a smoothie I made with some ice. I am getting brave...going to have some wonton soup tonight from my favorite Chinese restaurant :-). But I feel like a slight exception to most people on here since I really am having nearly no pain , though I am still terrified of having any BM....but that's life for ya. I hoped any of of my little story has helped someone that reads these posts. Good luck! :-) lay back and stay loose! :-D

I Completely forgot!....when you do need to use the restroom...do NOT sit on the toilet. Hover over the toilet, putting as much of your weight onto your feet as possible, NOT your arms, and force yourself to berate normally, and deeply. This will take a lot of the pressure off of your rectum, thus making it easier to go. You basically squat over your toilet and bend over. I know this is very unusual compared to what western people are taught, however this is how it should be done for your own sake. This I how it is done in many other countries which have a much lower rate of hemorrhoid development. It has really helped me. Google it for images :-D

Hey...I like you had minimal pain for first few days.. even first bowel movement on day two wasnt too bad.....but day 4 had a bowel movement with no pain killers all day and paid the price....It was a smooth soft stool and still hurt like hell. It was worst pain I have ever felt and took me two hours to get pain to managable level.....So please keep eatin the high fibre and take some pain killers before you think you might have a movement....I am praying this gets better because the throbbing has affected my sleep now....Good luck!

I was all backed up for 2 days and the Uncomfortable pressure that it put on the surgery area (internal hem) was almost unbearable so I took the drastic measure of taking 2tbs of Castor Oil and my good in about 3 hours time my bowel was completely empty. I know i shouldn't be doing this but the discomfort was unbearable.

anonymous wrote:

I Completely forgot!....when you do need to use the restroom...do NOT sit on the toilet. Hover over the toilet, putting as much of your weight onto your feet as possible, NOT your arms, and force yourself to berate normally, and deeply. This will take a lot of the pressure off of your rectum, thus making it easier to go. You basically squat over your toilet and bend over. I know this is very unusual compared to what western people are taught, however this is how it should be done for your own sake. This I how it is done in many other countries which have a much lower rate of hemorrhoid development. It has really helped me. Google it for images :D

This post was my LIFE SAVER from HELL!!
SQUATTING was 90%pain free!! I am 9 days out and will post more later, but just for those of you who come here for advice from here on out.... GOOGLE SQUATTING when going to the bathroom!! I don't for peeing of course or there will be a heck of a mess but for having a BM!! I was desperate and in so much pain and constipated and knew that I had to go and OH MY GOD THE SPASIMS!!! If I didn't have a family I would have been suicidal!! Not a lie!! Put it thi way, when I was finally able to go...ever seen those KONG toys that dogs play with?! Yeah! No kidding!! If I wouldn't have taken this persons advice on a whim and googled squatting and actually tried it in the midst of my hell I'd be surely split in two! But I'm yelling you, it saved mine and my drs life when I tried it!! The pain was decreased by, no lie, 85-90%!! Its gotta have some way of (sorry) opening you up and in a nonpainful way and allowing the BM to just slide right out!! It also avoids my other fear of narrowing.. I was so worried about narrowing but, lol, not anymore!!lol so far I think I'm pretty on track with the healing part of things, still am taking ibu for the swelling but not my percocettes...so far!!lol
Also, I know it may sound a little gross, but for that 'after burn', yeah, you know what I'm talking about! I know it may sound gross but I also ended up having my bm's in the tub with just a few I ches of water-enough to just cover your rectum. This helps sooth the area afterwards and kills any of that irritating afterburn!! Then, you're already there to wash up right after!:)) So honestly I've been able to have essentially pain free BMs since squatting in the tub!lol I know it all sounds weird and gross, but we are talking about a pain worse than my giving birth to my twins without an epidural!! With pain like that I was bound to try whatever was going to work! And this did!!
So hopefull someone is reading this now and Eventhough you may think I'm nuts(which no ones been able to prove yet!;), I reallly hope you take my advice and it helps you!!:)
Happy pooin!!;))

some good info here. i used milk of magnesia during my post op and it made me have 5 times as many bms. bad idea! even though i was stopped up for 2 day due to the meds, you want something to soften not create the urge every 2 hours. it's amazing how little info docs can provide.