Wow! As I look through the posts it is unbelievable how many of us have this disorder. So I had, past tense, this too! It is called Vulvadynia. Doctors do not typically get this problem. There is no magic pill. It is related to the PH of the internal environment of your body. Huh? I know sounds complicated. It is a bit but basically your bodily fluids have a PH level, like a pool, and we are too acidic or too alkalized. What does this mean? We have to balance our bodies through diet. There are two types of acid: Strong (if we eat loads of veggies with these we can handle them) and Weak-our mineral reserve in our body made up of Calcium,Potasium, Magnesium and Sodium, is depleted. We have to restore it. So foods with weak acid you MUST avoid. They are all fruit,vinegar, whey (dairy except butter), alcohol, soda, coffee any kind decaf and regular, tea decaf and regular, fermented anything(soy sauce, aged cheese), molassas,honey and pepper (all kinds). What to eat? All leafy veggies, cucumber, they are great for this, celery, cauliflower, broccoli and anyother veggie except peppers and tomatoes. No tomatoes in any shape or form. Potatoes sweet and regular (not microwaved), Evian, Jana or Figi water only do not drink other brands! Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. Fish,(no lemon or lime), chicken, eggs, tofu very little red meat. Do not use salad dressing on salads. Use olive, seasme, canola or grapeseed oil with sea salt. Sea salt is ok. Some women feel they may have a oxalate issue. Oxalate is found naturally in many leafy veggies. There are even low oxalate diets but they are not the whole picture. I believe that women have a reaction to the leafy veggies b/c she is temporarily too alkalized. You must buy PH stix online and test yourself as instructed with the pamplet. I test my urine every time I urinate even now when I am healed! This is the only way to monitor and journal your day. So write what you eat and what your PH is after. You want to measure 6.5-7.25. under 6.5 is acidic over 7.5 is alkalized. I stopped all supplements for almost a year. There is vitamin C in many supplements to help absorption but that will kill women with vulvadynia. Anything you put in your mouth matters. Do not chew gum or eat candy. In fact, limit your sugar intake. Do not eat anything artificial or imitation. JUICE JUICE JUICE your veggies. I bought a juicer but b4 I did that I went to a health food store to get one until I bought my own. I juice kale, spinach, carrots, parsly, celery, cucumber and ginger every morning first thing. Finally, you must relieve your stress. It will kill you. Even if you eat all of what I wrote and let stress get to you, you will still feel pain. So I practice yoga and walk to relieve stress. I know this is alot to stomach but it works. It takes time. It took me a year. It is not forever. I have my cheats now. I don't feel it anymore and I go right back the next day. During healing you can't do that. You will go backwards if you cheat at the beginning. To have pain free sex do not eat 3 hours prior, drink Evian, eat cucumber right b4 and relax. That should help. Eating cucumber after might be helpful.Feel free to ask any questions I know it is alot of info. Good health. Laura

PHhelp: Everywhere else I have read normal PH should be 3.5 to 4.5. Why the difference in your information?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so tired of finding information about what medications I can take (aka mask the problem), rather than useful information, such as what you've given, about things I can actively do to correct what is wrong with my body! I really have been eating way too much dairy, sugar, and acidic foods, and not enough veggies and other whole foods...

Is it normal for your vagina to smell sour and give off foul odor hours later after having sexual intercourse? Or just doing other things to give off the wetness of the vagina? It seems that I have nasty smelling odor after... like the morning after. Is this normal? Is it supposed to smell after this? Does it have something to do with my PH Balance?

You should get checked for a disease called IC... interstitual cystitis very painful... I went for four years being treated for UTI and the medications never helped it just got worse... I went to see Urologist Dr. but he also didnt see any signs of that disease... He told me due to my symptoms he would try me on Elmiron which is used for IC patients .... After 2 months of that and watching what I ate and drank the symptoms went away but if you have IC its rare and there is no cure for it at this time ....talk to your DR.

Thanks 'PHhelp'! In addition, I would like to share my experience and the road to recovery:

I have been suffering from a cutting pain while urinating since March 2011. I also have burning at the mouth of the vagina sometimes depending on what I eat. You are absolutely right that dietary changes help with reducing/eliminating the burning issue. My concern has largely been the cutting/paper cut like pain. After visiting numerous doctors in the last two years I was finally asked to visit an OBGYN who specializes in sexual health and the skin in vaginal area, etc. She did a thorough analysis and diagnosed it as vestibulodynia/vulvodynia. She recommended:

1. Dietary changes (no citrus and berries at all and avoiding anything that I feel worsens my symptoms).

2. Reading 'Heal Pelvic Pain' by Amy Stein (e-book available for $10). Only performing 'Letting Go' exercises in Chapter 3 as this condition is mainly due to tightening of muscles and tissues in the pelvic area. Tightening of muscles in the pelvic region can also cause painful fissures. I got a fissure as the pelvic pain had become chronic (That is a whole different story). The pain usually attributed to mental stress or trauma to the region. The idea is to start practicing conscious deep breathing (inhaling and exhaling with 'letting go' feeling and relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor).

3. Going for Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy (PFPT).

The exercises in the book are helping and I have recently started with PFPT. However, my symptoms aggravate a week before my periods and also with intercourse. I have also noticed that consuming acidic stuff aggravates my condition. I will follow the advice from 'PHhelp' and I hope to feel better by practicing all of the above. I am not cured fully but there is hope ladies!!

GOD Bless!

I have been doing a lot of research on ph balances. I have had the same pain for 16 yrs, have spent thousands of $$ trying to fix it, have currently spent the last 2 wks barely able to walk. Recently, my husband and I changed our eating habits, did a cleanse & began to eat more raw veggies & fruit. I notice the fruit causes more discomfort. Also tried a apple cider vinegar test & had a burning sensation. Just tonight was looking at ph kits. I am a little nervous about trying another "fix" any advice?

Also curious if ph inbalance can create dizziness/lightheaded disoriented feelings. I notice when my symptoms are extreme that I am also experiencing these symptoms. I am an avid reader if you have any recommendations. Thx for any ideas.

To PHhelp,

Thank you SO MUCH for your post!

My condition started after January 1st of this year.

I tried everything I could find over the counter and it just got worse and worse by the day.

My vagina lips were swollen and burning....I thought I had yeast infection and used OTC internal meds for 3 days. Didn't help.

Used a bunch of creams, castille soap, etc. Still burning and getting worse to the point I could not wear panties.

Last night I bought a sitz bath and even plain warm water was causing me extreme pain.

Reading your post I found out why I am having this horrible condition.

After Xmas, as New Year resolution, I started a detox program based on 6 juices a day plus 3 raw meals (all vegan). I was not preparing the juices & meals, I bought from a local juice shop (they are very popular).

I was not drinking water because I was filled with juices - mistake #1! Most of the juices I was drinking had some form of acid in it, from the fruits used to take the 'veggie' taste away and make them more palatable.

Also, the raw meals were prepared with lots of lemon juice and spices to make it tasty.

This morning, I did stop with the detox diet, I am thru 1 1/2 liter of water and just eating plain sweet potatoes and I can tell my vagina (and bladder) is already improving! Drinking so much water today, I had to pee few times and the pain & burning is already less and less.

This was my first time ever with these symptoms and I had no idea it was from my detox juices & meals. Thanks again!

When I eat tomatoes my labia and clitoris burn as well as if I have intercourse with my husband my fluids burn him. It can last like this for a week after two slices of tomatoes on a sandwich. How can I cool the burn.