Surgery to remove the gallbladder is called a cholecystectomy, that’s what my doctor explained me. He said that with traditional surgery, the gallbladder is removed through a 5- to 8-inch long incision. Also he told me there is a newer way to remove the gallbladder, called cholecystectomy. I understand all this, but I don’t know what will happen after gall bladder removal. Is there long recovery time in hospital, and which are possible complications?

The laparoscope is put into body through a tiny cut made just below the navel. With this, doctor can then see gallbladder on a TV screen. Also he can do the surgery with tools inserted in 3 other small cuts made in the right upper part of abdomen. Then gallbladder is then taken out through one of the incisions. With laparoscopic cholecystectomy, you should probably stay in the hospital overnight. With open cholecystectomy, you need to stay in the hospital for about 5 days. Because the incisions are smaller with laparoscopic cholecystectomy, there isn't as much pain after this operation. There is much worst pain after open cholecystectomy. Complications are rare but may include bleeding, and infection. Sometimes are reported and injury to the duct (tube) that carries bile from the gallbladder to the stomach. Also, during laparoscopic cholecystectomy, the intestines or major blood vessels may be injured. This is caused by these instruments that are inserted into the abdomen. Remember, all of these complications are rare and you should not be so worried about period after gall bladder removal.

I had my gallbladder removed on 6-26-09, and i am not sure of what to expect from here on. I still feel a little heartburn after a meal, nothing alarming, thank god. Just need to know what t expect, everything happen so fast, this was not plan it was more of an emergency. Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Syliva