My son is 15 and we just learned that he will need to have his gallbladder removed. Is this common in teenagers?

i am 17 and have gallstones, my entire famile is on the other side of the country. I dont know what to do, or where to go. before leaving my old house i had ultrasound and the docotr told me i have a big family of gallstones. I know nothing on the subject only the pain. What is a ruptured gallbladder anyway?

Health Advisor
Janet wrote:

Hello! Although we always link gallstones to adults, the thing is that there has been an increase in the number of children who had developed gallstone stones in the last few years. There is a question if this is due to better diagnosing tools and performing more ultrasounds or has the disease spread to children as well.
If your child is in pain due to gallstones presence, it is always better to have them removed as he may suffer many problems later in life. If the child doesn’t suffer any side effects from gallstones, they may be left alone and watched if they would possibly pass or dissolve. Some doctors decide to remove just the stones but the problem is that they often re-occur and may lead to gallbladder surgery anyway.
Those children who did have surgeries haven’t suffered from any additional symptoms after the removal. Removals are done laparoscopically, so the recovery is quick, scar minimal and hospitals stay not as long as with open surgery.

Health Advisor
Guest wrote:

Ruptured gallbladder is an emergency situation and if your gallstones threaten to lead to gallbladder rupture you better have them removed.

It's not common, but it's not unheard of. I'm fifteen and I had my gallbladder out when I was fourteen.

I should warn you though. The doctors didn't tell me that after the surgury i'd be nauseas for a while after it. Meaning about, for me, 2-3 days straight.

I hope this helps a little. ^_^

I was just diagnosed with gallstones yesterday and im scared to death I have a doctor phobia and my mom said it would be ok cause they would give me medication but from what you guys are saying the meds dont work?

Hi, I'm 17 and last week i found out that i have a gallbladder polyp. i have been experiencing a lot of pain and various stomach problems and i even had a gallbladder attack last July. I'm scheduled to see a surgeon Monday morning. Is there a good chance that i'll have to have surgery?

hello, i have been having really bad pains in my abdomen and vomiting(everything i eat and drink) this started a month ago yesterday. and doctor doesnt really know what is wrong. and they did a ultrasound on my gallbladder and a xray. i have to do a upper GI on friday, but what is weird, i would start feeling better for about a day, then the next day the pains are back, but worse then before. could this be my gallbladder? one of my moms friend had the same problems i had, and they removed her gallbladder and she got better.

For about the last four months i had been throwing up twice a day (most the time anytime i would eat). the doctors had no clue what was wrong with me. at first they ignored the gallbladder saying i was to young. after running a million other test then decided to look into my gallbladder. they ran test after test and no gallstones or anything and no symptoms except the throwning up and pain in the upper right part of my side and back. finally we asked to speak with a sergeon. he said it was a 50 50 shot it was my gallladder even tho i was young and now results were positive. we opted to have it taken out. it turns out my gallbladder was chroniclly inflammed. after surgery it takes about 2-3 days to get to feeling better but then u start moving around and by the 2nd week ur back to all your normal activities. my scars are small and i havnt been sick since my surgery and my pain has decreased alot. i still have to stay away from taco bell and alot of fatty foods but im gradually working back to them. i have been outta surgery for about 4 weeks now and couldnt be doing any better. dont let the doctors tell u ur to young or no test results came back positive or u will waste many doctors visits...make sure if u think its something with ur gallbladder u make ur doctors realize ur not to young...because many case they dismiss thinking it doesnt happen in young people when reality...it CAN.

I am sixteen, and I had my gall bladder removed avout three weeks ago. I didn't have stones, but my gall bladder was chronically inflamed and the walls had thickened, and inside was "sludge". Also, all of my bile ducts were so small they were pretty much useless. my mother had her gall bladder removed when she was twenty four.
My symptoms were similar to yours: i threw up EVERYTHING i put into my mouth...even water. This is definately a problem because it leads to dehydration.. I lost about 22 pounds ( I am 5'1", and used to weigh 125 now I weight about 100 pounds. I am an athlete and mostly lost muscle..)
I had severe pain in my right upper abdomen and it would shoot through to my sholder. It would come randomly and I would be in so much pain all I could do was cry and lay there. They did an ultra sound and x-ray, CT scan, upper GI endoscopy (scope in my stomach) and took a biopsy of my stomach. The last test they did was called a HIDA SCAN. DO THIS!!!!!!!!! It shows the functioning of your gall bladder, so maybe stones do not appear, but that does not mean it is the only problem your gall bladder could be having.

Where do I find a doctor with experience on this subject?

My daughter is 10 and is in Kosair Childrens hospital....given this is such an adult focus disease? Is there a benefit to finding a doctor that is familiar with the gall bladder in adults? Or should we stick with pediatric doctors who have little experience with gall bladder problems?

I'm freaking out because I have had ALL of the symptoms of Gallstones/Gallbladder issues. Right shoulder pain, gas, indigestion, bloatedness, pain in the bottom right.

Its not extremely painful, but I know thats what it is. I haven't got insurance, so I think I'm going to just head to the ER. Im 19 years old btw.

my names Deanna and I'm 15, About seven 11 months ago i started to vomit all the time as time went on it began to where i could'nt keep anythind down.I finaly went to the doctor and they could'nt fine out the problem they diagnosed me with many things before they even had drawn my blood. when the results from the blood taking had came back they told me i had helicobactor pylori. They put me on meds called Prev pac that consisted of PREVACID 30 mg amoxicillin 500 mg BIAXIN Filmtab 500 mg.i was supposed to stay on it for 14 day and take 8 pills a day. I soon began to get so weak i could barely walk i was vomitting more and i had diarehia so bad. I could'nt take it anymore so i quit i finally went to a specialists and she said you cannot be positive you have h pylori from a blood test.
soon i went for an upper gi study and ultra sound. Everything came back normal but im still sick as ever. The doctor kept saying she was going to send me in for a gi scope it wasnt happening soon i had been sick for 6 months.
one night i couldnt take the consistent vomitting anymore and they rushed me into the emergency room and the next morning i had a scope done. I was told i had Helicobactor pylori,gastritis, hemeraging and eusaphagitis.
i was put on a monthly med plan and im still taking omeprazole. I was still sick for a while so i got sent in for a hida scan of my gallbladder
turns out i have gall blader disease. my doctor said if i was an adult she would have it out but she said i have been doin better and i shouldnt. she also said it could be adnormal but normal for a teen and she really couldnt tell me.
I dont know whether or not to havlge the surgery i want this to end and i dont want future problems but how do i know im not going to have worse problems once i get the gallbladder removed?

I'm fifteen and have been diagnosed with gallbladder disease. It started about two years ago when I came down with a stomach bug, my doctor sent me for several blood test but everything came back fine but I lost my appetite for a couple of weeks which led to me losing about 15 pounds.But eventually it went away and I was fine. Recently, in november I was diagnosed with mono, during this time I never had an appetite and was in a great amount of pain. After a month of putting up with it I finally had my mother call the doctor, something wasn't right. My doctor confirmed that it couldn't be the mono so she sent me in for more basic blood test and sent me to me a GI. Its now been almost 4 months since the onset of the pain and nausea. I've lost about 20 pounds and the only blood test that came back off was my billirubin, so they sent me in for a egd and a colonoscopy. The doctors are still worried though that it might not only be gallbladder disease because there is chrons and colitis in my family but I tested negative for them. They are sending me in for another test this week for irritable bowel syndrome but most of my symptoms dont fit the criteria. The doctors are also trying to find a surgeon for me, incase I need the surgery.

I just had my gall bladder removed yesterday *age 18* and was scared insane amounts I haven't lost my appetite, to be quite honest I'm just as hungry as I have been, but it's only been two days. Will let you know how it goes!