Help!

I had a stapled hemorrhoidectomy a little over 2 weeks ago. I have awful, smelly gas and it sticks to my underwear and pants. Is this normal? In addition, when I'm cleaning the area, I get brownish/orangish stains. I don't know if it's stool, discharge or what. Is this normal as well? How long will both conditions last? Any insight would be really appreciated. I'm really nervous about it and it's embarassing to say the least.

Dear Friend,

I had this surgery done 2 weeks ago and am suffering from the same syptoms you experiened. I would very much appreciate if you could let me know if your symptosms stopped and how long it took for these syptoms to go away ? did you have to take any treatment for these symptoms. I am having pain (like pricking inside) some days.

-

I take it you guys are referring to the PPH hemorrhoidectomy. As far as I know this is normal and it could be a few weeks for it to change for the better. You have to understand this is not the cleanest part of the body and it's not a part of the body that gets any rest so it could take some time to heal and most of the incision there still might be residual stools hanging around.

Are you taking any laxatives to flush out your bowels? I've been using 1-2tbls of castor oil every second day to help things along and to give surgical area a day off so to speak.

How has the pain levels been?

Make sure you keep the area as clean as possible. There are a couple of things you could do to help catch the discharge 1. Wedge some surgical pads between your cheeks and 2 use some sanitary napkins like the ones women use, you now the ones the ones with the wings on them use those for your jocks to catch any leakage.

My farts i think are the worst (smelliest) they have been since the surgery. My wife is getting sick of the Dutch Ovens :-) and I tell you what when you do one in she super market make sure you move away from it quick smart !! and don't go in elevators!! XD
On a serious note one thing that can help with gas is charcoal tablets i do remember this is a way of getting rid of gas in a normal person but in your condition I'm not too sure if it would work , but you know what they say no harm in trying.

Worried2008~I had the THD on April 9 and yes, I had terrible gas too which went away with time and more normal BM's. I have also had and occasionally continue to have the 'prickly feeling' - must be normal. My gas was much less by the third week ... hopefully, yours will be too.