What is going on with GPs and test strips. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been refused prescriptions for enough testing strips. Now I'm unable to monitor my blood sugar levels throughout the day. How an I supposed to mange my blood glucose levels? I can't believe that something as important as test strips would be restricted in the amount you can get. How does that work exactly? Is there anything I can do on my part to stop this situation not only for myself but others as well? Anyone have some suggestions. Would gladly appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Hello, that is a bad situation especially for a type 1. According to the health department, they have let General Practitioners know that they must make sure their patients have sufficient test strips especially for type 1. Diabetes is on the rise and the increasing cost of test strips may make it difficult to get what you need, however there can more to it than that. Nevertheless, it is crucial that type 1s get the optimal amount of test strips because they can experience severe glucose swings. In England the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) requires individuals who are taking insulin who drive must carry their blood glucose meter and test strips with them and test their levels ever two hours. So this is serious business. The only thing I can think of is to get with your doctor and your pharmacist and get them to work with you to make sure that you get the prescribed amount of test strips you need. Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest. This isn't so different from people who need pain killers. Many of these controlled substances are limited. Some individuals have to travel to different pharmacies a great distance away to get their prescription filled and in many cases there are no more drugs to be had for that month. I don't know what to tell you beyond that. The healthcare sector needs a lot of work.