Hi. I'm 45 year old mother and I'm pretty worried for my only daughter. She is 25 years old but acting like a child. The truth is that these last couple of months she began to suffer from radiation sickness and postoperative vomiting. She had some bowel operation few months back and since then she is taking some drug called Gravol.
I haven’t paid so much attention on it because I was sure that she knows what she’s doing although it looked pretty strange to see her talking some drug for relieving stomach problems that long after operation. Just recently, a good friend of mine told me that person can become addicted to these kinds of drugs and that I should make her talk with her doctor over this. Is this true?

Hi. I worked as a nurse for several years and that’s why I know some things about this you mentioned. Gravol and similar medications are used to prevent and treat nausea and vomiting and beside this, it is often abused because large doses can produce a "high" and hallucinations.
Many patients complained that they couldn’t stop with talking these drugs years after operation. That’s why I asked one doctor to explain me what could be the cause. He told me that chronic use of dimenhydrinate- (Gravol) can result in tolerance, dependence and withdrawal. If someone used this drug for more than a few days, he can develop tolerance to it and probably will need to take larger doses to feel the same effects. Make her to talk with her doctor!

hi i would like to know something about taking gravol. I find myself taking gravol at least once a week so that i can have a good night sleep, i was woundering if that is okay or if this is not a good idea. I'm ok to sleep without it but it just makes me more relaxed when it comes to sleeping please email me back at ******** thanks so much

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Hi I'm a 28 year old man,I was 26 when I found out that if you take over the recamended dose of gravol will make you fall asleep, I was depressed and all I wanted to do was sleep. So when I heard that gravol will make you sleep, I thought it's got to be healthyer than taking more than recamended dose of sleeping pills, the recamended dose of gravol is 1/2 to 1 tablet to prevent nausea, not to help fall asleep, so I started taking 5 tablets at a time, then fall asleep. Then as my body got used to the 5 tabs I started adding 1 then 2 all the way up to 25 or more a day. This went on for more than two years,I Was so stuburn that I did'ent listen to family or friends, when they said I had a problem. I knew I did but when I tried to just stop taking them, I was I wanna say sick, but sick dose not even begin to decribe what I felt, worse than anything you ever saw on tv about drug with draws, I don't have a car and I did'ent want to admit to anyone that I have a drug problem,so when I was we'll just call it sick, I had to take the bus, try taking the bus infront of anyone that can see you in public and not just anyone sometimes people you know,and no matter what you say or do you can't hide the fact that it's not the clean cut good looking guy they know. My jaw was locked so I cold'ent talk I had dark circles under my eyes, My teeth wher'ent brushed because I could barely stand, one day I just kept on adding a pill or 2 to my already overdosed body with out keeping track of what I was taking, by 9:00 pm that night the last thing I remember was e-mailing a friend ,then I blacked out and woke up on the couch with 2 paramedics over top of me. I started yelling for them to get away from me,that I was fine I was only sleeping and I beleaved that. I would'ent let them take me from the house, untill they told me what happend,I had passed out and my mother found Me on the floor and I had a seasur. I spent the night in the hospital ,and then they finaly let Me leave when my heart rate was back down to a regular beat. I tryed for 2 days not to take gravol,I whent back to the hospital because I was so sick it felt like I would soon die the nurse told me to wait in the waiting room, no one took me sereous, and I could'ent handel it anymore . I felt varry paranoid I could barely talk, I felt like the whole world was stareing at me but the whole room was looking at me looking with wonder, wondering what was wrong with me? so I whent to the nurse and beged her to put me in a bed anyware, she told me to just calm down and to sit and wait my turn. I could not handel sitting there any longer, so I told the nurse to take out the I.V needle they had preveously put in my arm with nothing attached to it, she told me to just keep it in,but I said take it out or I will. so she did and I left the first thing I did was go to the store a groserey store bought some gravol took it and it did'ent work, I had nowhere to go cause everyone thought I was at the hospital, so looking exactly like the drug addict I was I stumbuled to the river and layed on the grass untill I had enough strength to walk home, yes I walked home because I was too messed up to take the bus and too paranoid. I continued to take the pills for months after all this and this time no one knew I was still taking them,untill finaly my body was braking down. I finaly got a drug counsler ,it took me what felt like for ever to get claen, the counsler and some docters told thak I could'ent stop taking the pills all at once cause my body might not be able to handle the withdraws and I could die. I'm sorry I have to come back to this site to tell my recovery story I'm having too meny bad fealings comming back to me. but remember this drug (gravol) and other over the counter drugs are no joke. So if you or anybody you know are thinking of starting, have started, or allready are addicted to any drug seek help or tell some one and don't stop telling or talking untill you or the person you know gets the help they need. If I did not get help I would not be telling my storry I'd be dead.

Gravol, or Dimenhydrinate is a similar drug to diphenhydramine. This is because Dimenhydrinate is Diphenhydramine(benadryl) bound to a xanthine molecule. Xanthines are the family in which drugs such as caffeine and theophylline fall into. The purpose for this was the hope that after being ingested, the xanthine molecule and the diphenhydramine would break away giving the desired effects of diphenhydramine(allergy relief, and anti nausea) without the sedation. However as you can see, many people still take Gravol and other dimenhydrinate drugs to fall asleep, so even if the xanthine in dimenhydrinate lessens the drowsyness, it does not counteract it completely.

Now diphenhydramine, and dimenhydrinate are both sold over the counter in the U.S. Neither is addictive when taken as directed. I have used diphenhydramine as a sleep aid on and off for over 7 years, sometimes for periods of 30 days or more when stress at work is causing sleeping problems. I have never had problem resuming normal sleep without the drug upon cessation, nor have I noticed any other symptoms of a drug withdrawal upon cessation. The "high" that the 'nurse' who posted earlier refers to, is heavily sedating, hallucinogenic, and generally dysphoric. That is, users do not typically desire to repeat the experience. I would say the likelihood that your daughter is addicted to Gravol is relatively slim, however if you are concerned, it can never hurt to have her checked out by a psychologist who specializes in addiction.

Some possible symptoms of dimenhydrinate intoxication could be disorientation, hallucination, talking to people who are not real, or are not present in the room, confusion, heavy sedation. So those are some things you can look for. Are you sure what she is really taking is 'Gravol'? and it's not some other drug she is taking frequently, and she has told you that it is Gravol because Gravol is largely regarded as benign and unaddictive? That is something else you might look into.

Sources, my brain.

Well, Gravol isn't addictive when taken in normal doses. It may be habit-forming and tolerance may build if used daily for a few months, but upon cessation there should not be any withdrawal symptoms if used in typical doses. Does she take it during the day as well as at night, or just at night? If she only takes it at night she may just be using it as a sleep aid (I know I have...it's a dang good one). In many people it does cause a mild sense of euphoria (including me...great, relaxing feeling), which may lead some to take more to see if it will make them become even more euphoric. What they usually find instead, however, is that the experience is very unpleasant. They may get really bad dry mouth, hallucinations (many times frightening ones, like seeing shadowy figures in your room or hearing voices and conversations that aren't real), and panic attacks, causing most not to do it again. I would say your daughter has probably just formed a habit of taking it daily, which is totally fine and easy to break. The best thing to do would be to just ask her about it and see how she responds.

Myself and many family members have used Gravol for helping with sleep for many, many years. I continue to use it as I travel a lot for work and I find my sleep patterns are interrupted as such. If you follow the directions and use one to two tablets you should be fine. As with any drug, it is an individual thing and your body reacts differently. Always consult a physician. My doctor told me that Gravol use is fine with occasional use. Occasional being not using it for more than 3-4 days at a time. If you find that you are taking more than two at a time to get to sleep, I would consult a physician. However, if you are not going to designate a minimum of six hours for sleep be cautioned that you will be quite drowsy in the morning. I have used it with four hours of sleep and it took several hours for the sluggishness to wear off.

anonymous wrote:

I wanted to abuse gravol as a recreational drug, but thanx to you I'm not going to do that even though I did it for 5 days straight. I also had an addiction that ruined my life its called crystal meth or methamphetamine for 2 years I did the drug and now I,m a caffeine addict to replace meth. But thanx for sharing so I didnt ***** myself up even more.

thank you so much for posting your story. i have been addicted to this drug also for 3 years and i'm loosing many people due to it. thanks to your story i've decided to finally get help and deal with my addiction so that i can live my life instead of being in a daze every single day.

I'm addicted to graval I take up to 30 a day and I do not take them to fall asleep when I take them I feel happy and can think very clear for about 2 hours.  I would like to stop taking them any ideas would be a great help.

Steve

woolsey wrote:

hi, your friend is right, i know a friend that is using gravol to get high, adverse effects include: fatigue, temper or rage, blurred vision, it has become a living nightmare for her. stop why you can, your liver will thank-you for it later.

I know this thread is over a year old and the OP is probably not reading it anymore but it's more likely that your daughter developed emetophobia (a severe irrational fear of vomiting) and that's why she takes the gravol long after surgery etc.

stevepmd wrote:

Steve

Try Valerian instead

Hi, It sounds like your like me!! Most of the medications that are supposed to nock me out do that to me too. I can think clearly and have more energy after taking them but only for a coulple of hours. These medications have always had an opposite effect on me and I was wondering if anyone out there knows why?? There was a Doctor Phil show about OCD's and they did MRI's on people effected by them. their brains fired differently than people without them. They also were effected like we are by certain meds. I wish the doctors would figure this out!! it's very frustrating that even our doctors don't really know the answers.

The only thing I can respond to here is that drugs, even over the counter ones like gravol, have different effects on different people. I am an RN and this is a widely understood fact among health care professionals and has been proven through numerous research studies. I took gravol for several days after working nights to help me sleep during the day and after I stopped I was able to resume normal sleep with no problems. However, after taking it for almost a week straight after nights (same dose) I couldn't sleep without it and I am absolutely positive it was the gravol as nothing else changed in my life that would have made me stop sleeping (ex. stress, work, etc). Some people just don't respond to drugs in the same way and I am one of those that is quite sensitive to any form of medication side effects. One of the side effects of Gravol is actually insomnia. Not joking. Many medications may produce the same effects they intend to avoid. Not that Gravol is made for sleep it is made to treat nausea. However, it is also used to cause sedation but in some people, and the key here is some people, it may cause insomnia.