I was just reading about guillain-barre syndrome, basically as a result of hearing that this disease can be induced by the new N1H1 vaccine, which my doctor recommends I get because I have asthma. Apparently, as I have read on emedicine, guillain-barre syndrome is the leading cause of paralysis in the US today. This has got me rather worried. Do you think guillain-barre syndrome is really caused by vaccines?

Most definitely. It says so on the package insert produced by the vaccine manufacturer. This is certainly not only the case when it comes to the new vaccine for the so called swine flu, but many other vaccines as well. However, I do want to say that guillain-barre syndrome is not normally serious and goes away on its own soon after appearing. Paralysis is a very rare complication of guillain-barre syndrome that happens to a tiny minority. The risk is there though, and the decision is yours and yours alone.