Had Surgery yesterday for three external Hemorrhoids. Surgeon was highly recommend and used a traditional Scalpel. Surgery was pain free, once I returned home I was in pretty good pain. The worst part was every time I tried to fall asleep my but would spasm and clinch which would be painful and wake me back up. I would highly recommend taking a bath the same day as surgery and drink lots of water, pain was cut in half after bath! Regardless, I'm very glad I went in, I was terrified after reading some of these threads! Have yet to move bowels but have moved some gas and not too bad.

Today is day three. Still no bowel movement but I have been pounding the laxitives so I'm hoping (well not really) today is the day. Pain has been about a 1 or 2 on scale of ten (very manageable) but still on pain killers. Taking lots of baths, getting up and moving around has not been a problem on days two and three.

Day four Today. I was actually pain free yesterday but felt pressure to have a BM. SO i decided to take milk of Magnesia on top of my laxitives. HOLY COW was that overkill. I felt like Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber. Two hours and two toilets later I finally finished. It was painfull but survivable. Had BM number two in the middle of the night then took a two hour bath. Not taking any pain meds today and so far I'm very happy about having the surgery.

Day 6 today, still taking it easy. Pain has been very manageable all week. Had some irritation so I bravely took a look back there. Much to my surprise there was no swelling. I think the irritation is from the ends of the stitches rubbing against skin. Still no BM #2. I've been taking it easy with the food. Who knew you could lose weight sitting around and watching TV!

Today is Day 11 for me. I've lost 23lbs since the day of surgery and I wasnt that much overweight (6"1 200). Stopped taking the pain killers a few days ago, they made me really constipated. I sat on the toilet for 5 hours trying to get a BM out that just wouldnt fit. Finally I managed to pass that baby and lets just say I didnt want to eat any more after that. Since stopping the pain killers BM have been much more manageable. I'm getting out and about already and started to eat on a regular basis and I've been taking stool softners. The softners make you go more often but it comes out easy.

At day 11 my only remaining complications are not much control of BM (when you have to go, you have to go!) and the more annoying thing is anal leakage. I'm praying this goes away soon because its uncomfortable and disgusting, I'm big on self hygiene! Pain has been really manageable throughout most of the process. The worst in the first two days post op and the first couple BM. My suggestion is to stop the pain killers ASAP to avoid that constipation!!

This will be my final post as its Day 24 and I'm pretty much recovered other than a little leakage. Had my follow up appointment with the doc today, he had to remove some of the stitches that didnt dissolve. Still some swelling but my quality of life is very good, much better than before the surgery. I AM VERY GLAD I HAD THIS DONE AND WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING THEM COMPLETELY REMOVED! Its totally worth it!!!! Don't live in pain and discomfort because your afraid, I was terrified after getting on this site. The surgery is easy, the first few days and first couple bowel movements stink but its manageable. And I'm a big wussy! Also one you have external hemorrhoids removed through surgery, they cannot come back. I confirmed that today with my doc.

Are you still on this board?