Hello, soon I am to have hammertoe surgery on both my feet. I was wondering will I be able to walk out of the hospital on the same day, and also will I have to wear a certain type of shoe? I am 17, and I am dreading having to wear post operative shoes.

I have both feet hammer toe surgery 4 weeks ago on 4th and 5th toes. Stitches are gone, so does the swelling. I still can't wear close toes shoes. Doctor said he cut the tendons, cut and fuse the bones. He said my recovery is great. I am not sure about that. I feel numb when touching/scratching the bottom of the toes, extreamly painful when my toe hit against a chair leg (I guess it is pain from fused bone). I don't know if those are normal behavior after surgery and will go away eventually or not. I am scared that is permenant and there is some never damage. From this website I found out that I might never able to wear high heel again for a sucessful surgery. This isn't I signed up for it. I was able to wear high heel before the surgery, just painful at the end of day. Should I go to another Podiatrist for second opinion? Any one can help? Thank,

shanghaiwind

Pain! in one simple word.
I had the hammer toe surgery done on both of my feet at the same time. I have NEVER experience this amount of pain in my life. I had the surgery a little over a week ago and I am very concerned that my feet may never be the same again. Can anyone be put by mind to ease.

Yes, I was in those shoes fro a month.

Hello, I am going to see a Podiatrist next week for what I suspect is Hammer Toe. My feet have had ths condition since I was a child and I am now 32 years old. My ankles and knees are beginiing to have pain now when I exercise ( I am Active Duty in the Military). Can t Hammer toe cause that sort of pain. Could this condition cause me to be discharged?

Unsure :'( : :'(

Hey.. Wanted to know how much it costs for the Hammer Toe Surgery...
THanks!

your 17 and u have to get this done how many hammertoes do u have and i also have to get this done but amvery nervous about getting this done i would ask as many questions as possible and go see several doctors b4 doing this is there anyonee on this board who can enlighten on this procedure and tell me more about it whoe ever got this done

I'm 20 years old (21 in less than a month) and I just had hammertoe surgery (may have actually been claw toe) on all the digits of both of my feet except the big toes. I had the surgery done 2 days ago, and the pain has gotton worse and worse every day since. I had the rigid form of hammertoes that couldn't straighten out anymore, so the doctor had to remove pieces of bone many times to get them to lay straight, and then place pins into each toe. I left the hospital after a few hours, but still had a local anestetic in me so the pain wasnt that bad, more numb than pain. Since it has worn off, pain has been ridiculus. I've been downing so many hyrdocodones and I'm still in throbbing pain. I can put ANY weight on my feet, its unbearable. One of my feet has actually swollen up pretty big a day since the surgery and it feels like the tendons in the foot are now in pain, not the toes. I'm beginning to worry that my foot is going to be messed up now and in constant pain. But hey, it's only the second day since surgery, what do I expect. I was wondering if anyone could ease my fears a little bit about the severe pain and swelling and/or share their experiences. Thanks!

Hi. I had Hammertoe Surgery 2.5 weeks ago. It's been a really good recovery. So far it's been minimum swelling. the first week was a bit painful, but i have improved significantly everyday since. I'm a bit attentive to the incision healing process though.

Does anyone have before and after pictures of the hammertoe surgery? I am posting before and intra-op photos. I still have the pins in and am scheduled to have them removed this week. I was just wondering if it's common to have scabs on the incisions and if anyone used scar treatment creams or kits to minimize scarring. I hope these pics will help anyone who wanted to know what it looks like. Also please excuse my ashy dry feet, I still can't wash them, however I was careful to get a manicure right before surgery. here goes:

******

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

Hi, I too had hammertoe surgery 2.5 weeks ago on my right foot (the fourth toe). My stitches were removed last Friday (2 weeks from surgery date), and the bandages were also removed. My doctor said I could wear a tennis shoe because the surgical shoe was beginning to hurt my arch. I only have to protect the toe with a band aid now. Things seem to be progressing along very well thus far. The toe is a little swollen and I wonder when that will be normal. Does applying ice to the toe help with that I too have scabbing where the incision is located. The toe still feels numb, but I'm beginning to be able to move it more than I was able to initially. My doctor said I should be ready to apply an over the counter scar cream to help with scarring next week. I'm just wondering when I will be back to normal and can wear regular shoes (and not tennis shoes with suits!). I'm concerned that I may never be back to normal 100%. I want my cute heels!

Guest wrote:

THanks!

Hope you have good insurance? You looking from what I was told about $3,000.00 per Toe! Then if things don't go right, count on more. Depends on the type of surgery meaning how they will perform it, and those little extra things they find in there while your sedated. If you are not in great pain and could get by with it, why have it? "IF IT AIN"T BROKE< NO REASON TO FIX IT"! Buy some longer shoes creating a bigger BOX and Moleskin for friction, total cost there is about less then $50.00.
Hope you do well!

Hi I am supposed to get this surgery for my hammer or claw toes on each foot. I am very skeptical and want to know more about it. It bothers me the way they look and they also hurt pretty badly when wearing shoes. Will I be able to wear high heels again? Will they worsen again after the surgery? Will they look better? Will I loose feeling? How long until I am able to walk around on them like before? (I bartend and serve and want to know how long I should suspect to be out of work). Does anyone have any pictures or the before/after? I am very nervous and want to know more. please help!

Kim, 22, NC

**edited by moderator**

I feel your pains! Had surgery on both of the 5th "pinky" toes approx. 3 weeks ago. Just got those horrific shoes off today, but am now wearing the "Walking" tennis shoe. Of course it is one size bigger than normal and 2wide.
Not so attractive with suits. I am soo looking forward to even a cute flat shoe or even sandals. The thought of a heel makes me cringe at this time. My recovery went well, painful but probably more irritating than anything. Good luck to all and please, let's take care of our feet!

im going to get this surgery soon i was wondering how much does it cost???

Please think really long and hard about this surgery. I had both feet done almost two weeks ago, and I think this was the worst decision I have ever made in my life. I have had two kids, tatoo's and other purposeful painful procedures, this tops them all!!! I can't walk, or help my kids with out excruciating pain. They are terribly swollen and bruised. I can't drive and forget sleep. This sucks!!! I just want you all to consider other ways to relieve hammer toe pain. I know they are ugly to look at as well. But, I can tell you first hand, my toes aren't that much better looking now, honestly, worst mistake of my life!!! They have over the counter toe straighteners really cheap, check out ebay. They have plenty. I hope you who take the time to read this before you are in a great deal of pain like me, decide not to proceed with surgery. Seriously, you may never wear heeels or cute shoes again! That is just not fair. My doctor said " In a couple weeks, you can wear any shoes you want, it's really not a big deal." WHAT A LIAR!!!!! Hope this helps.

Hugs and kisses

Jennifer