New Reply New Topic Followed by 12 people

everyday for about the past month i wake up and feel something in my throat. its very uncomfortable so i start trying to hack it up. i get it from my throat and it feels like it moves to my sinus area and then i start to gag and feels like choke and finally spit it out. disgustinly, it hard chunky brown mucus. i have tried turning the heat down at night, getting a vaporizer in the room, sleeping with the AC on and even with the window up in the middle of winter. its so uncomfortable and disgusting does anyone have any ideas???

I know exactly what you're talking about and yes it is very disgusting. Sinus meds help. You don't have to get the expensive kind. Cheap(er) Walgreens brand works fine.

Hi have exactly the same thing. I think that it may be food related. Strangely I feel it the most after I eat liver.

For temporary relief, you can try a neti pot, although it takes a lot of getting used to.

Mucinex may help soften it up so that it comes out easier.

Good luck!

I have the same thing. I also reckon its food related. Possibly wheat or milk.

i find that my throat mucus... has a terrible odor... i know that sounds gross but i'm concerned hahaha

they are tonsil stones- result of bacteria in your tonsils. can be worsened by sinus drainage, etc. not usually anything to worry about :-D

i have the same thing. i wake up 2 to 3 times at night just because iguess i can't breathe properly because of thick greenishish brown mucus :$
a ear nose and throat specialist put a freak!n camers down my throat and said i looked great. yea but if he were to do that test in the morning when i awaken he would see a lot. >:( Anyway 6 to 7 yrs. of this and i t's getting worse. My opinion is that it is weight related. i was alwaus around 270 lbs. and never had a problem. when i put on 38lbs. to 308. seems that is when this phlem problem developed. So someone told me to see a throat specialist thats next. Anybody with any ideas or with the same problem please make a post. thanks GREG!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

i have had the same thing for years. its disgusting. I think its food related, but have been tested and not allergic to anything. after several cat-scans the ENH says I have a chronic infection and need my sinuses scraped out. ugggh.

i have the same thing and i agree that it is rather disgusting. i didn't realize that it was such a common problem. come to find out it isn't food. its tonsil stones. tonsil stones are solidified bacteria and mucus. they smell bad because they have sulfur compounds in them. yuck! now im worried. one reason for tonsil stones is chronic tonsillitis. o.O

i fing this very helpful. i smoked marlboro menthals and a box of DUTCH MASTERS for about four years two stedy the other off and on to try to clear up my throat. I had a life changing motorcyle wreck at Duke for 2 months long story short the first week i was in there i was coughing horribly (from what i remembered). they brought this machein in with a tube attached that i could spit in. i had hard brown mucus thick big chuncks.so large and thick i eliminate the spit back into my mouth and can lay down and spit strait up and hit the celing. the gunk does not even think about coming down i mean this sh*t is like that farting puddy for kids in the little yellow cups. and even when i hold off for a little bit it still never goes away.I have bad allergies but not allergic tgo anything.the best soulution i have is to just never swallow it back down always even if you have to excuse yourself it is important to get it up and out.

I have the same deal going on, only I have asthma. In the mornings if I do not have my rescue inhailor I start freaking out and making it worse. I recomend seeing a doctor.

i have the same thing for the past couple years. don't know what it is. I spit up in the morning and during the day a thick chunky brown mucus that hardens like Elmers glue and actually burns in fire. I am a smoker. Had a gastric biopsy and they found several different types of mucus in my throat and a swelling near my stomach. They also discovered i had food in my stomach from the previous day undigested. I then had a gastric emptying study which they made me eat radioactive eggs because they believe i have gastric dystrophy. I have been taking prilosec otc which helps my heart burn but still spit up the brown stuff. I would love to find a way to find out what this is cause i still don't know the results from the emptying study. I know for a fact its not in my lungs and i know the result from over-smoking does cause brown mucus but this is different. i don't cough that stuff out; i clear out my throat when i feel a full feeling in my throat.

The things people are talking about are two different things.
suchandsuch, your problem is a build of mucus that occurs in the back of your throat. While your sleeping it hardens and it is really irritating.
The other people who are talking about tonsil stones...you can tell the difference between regular mucus and tonsil stones...because the built up mucus usually has a green/brown tint to it, that being from the bacteria that mucus blocks.
Usually tonsil stones are white, and they are the built up bacteria in or around the tonsils...Or that is what I have learned so far.

As far both problems go, I would look into using a mouth wash, and maybe gargling salt water. I would not do both though.

I have this too... The brown stuff, it looks about as big as a penny is a disc shape when I cough it out. It's dark dark yellow/brown with some red in it sometimes that looks like a tiny bit of blood :(. Coughing it up feels like it is destroying my throat - I used to love singing but now I always have this stuff in my throat that gets dried out at night and I have to hack up in the morning. I don't have any allergies that a doctor can find, have never smoked, am very healthy (work out 2-3 times/wk and eat mostly organic/healthy foods) so no weight problem so those are ruled out for me. I never thought about it being food related... When it developed a couple of years ago my mom said it's post nasal drip, but it seems more than that and way more than she has. What has worked for me is using a netipot (neilmed squeeze bottle). When I use this at least every other day, my sense of smell improves, my head feels less fuzzy and best of all the phlegm mostly goes away and no hardened chunks. I also use a humidifier (vornado is best at circulating I think...) and that helps significantly because the mucous doesn't dry out so much. Good luck everyone!

I have something similar, I know it can't be tonsils because I got mine removed over a year ago after constant tonsillitis. Since then I have had a few chest infections. Around a month ago I got another chest infection which turned into a cold. It has now just gone away (but I have hayfever I think) for the past few weeks I have been waking up with an extremely dry mouth and a disgusting taste which both go away once I spit out alot of green and brown gunk. I no longer have coughing during the day, should I go to the doctor?.