Due to stress at work I had heart unrest last week and my doctor forbade me any physical activity, including running and cycling. And I get very nervous and depressed when I miss my training. That’s why I’m wondering whether I can use an indoor trainer because I reckoned that since I can adjust the speed and resistance, maybe I can achieve a lower heart rate on an indoor trainer. I mean, that can’t be demanding as road cycling.

You’re wrong! If your doctor said: no activity for the time being, listen to him and follow what he says closely in order not to complicate things. An indoor trainer is just like an ordinary bike. Don’t try to fool yourself and believe that only because you can adjust the speed to be lower that it won’t tire you. Just don’t push it, because you may regret. Those cardiac unrest situations are not dangerous but they can be if you behave irresponsibly. An indoor trainer can be even more exhausting than the regular bike and I see no way to achieve a lower heart rate on it. A brisk walk is what would do you good now.