New Reply New Topic Followed by 14 people

I have tinnutis from working in factory and lately I have been hearing a beating at night. When I lay on my side it even feels like it is beating on pillow if that makes sense? That and the noise in my ears is driving me crazier than I usually am. What is it? :cry:

I been having a pulse in my left ear that sometimes travels to my right ear...sometimes it's really strong and other times it's not..I went to the doctor because I thought my blood pressure must have been sky high but much to my surprise it wasn't...she checked my ears and said they looked fine...so I'm perplexed at this and it's driving me crazy..I 'm losing sleep at night because of it and it's stressing me out!It gets real strong sometimes when I stand up and sometimes I get a light headache or extreme pressure in my head.This goes away though but I feel like my head could pop off;lol...I know it won't but it feels as though it might...I was never a heavy smoker but i have increased my smoking lately.Could this be a cause?

A couple of weeks ago I had a severe throat infection and swollen neck glands. The first symptom I had was the sound of my heartbeat swooshing in my right ear. Antibiotics cleared up the throat infection, but I am left with the swooshing in my ear. I don't notice it as much through the day but as some of you said it could be because of the noises around me. An ENT surgeon that I work with looked in my ear and with the information of the infection said he thought I had eustachian tube dysfunction. For the past week I've been taking a Medrol dose pak which is a steriod to decrease any inflammation in my ear. He felt like 48 hours after starting the medication, it would get better. I've taken the steriod for 5 days now. Only 1 day left to finish the medication. I think it could be some better but definitely still present when I lie down to sleep at night. I don't know what the answer to our problem is but so many of you talked about not being able to sleep and that making you crazy. The way I've dealt with that is I take a benadryl at night to sleep. It knocks me out so I can sleep and I'm thinking maybe the antihistamine properties may help also. Good luck to all of you and though we're all blessed to have a heartbeat I hope that soon we will stop hearing it.

I have been reading all your letters about pulsatile tinnitus and I now know that I am not the only person to suffer. I woke up 2 weeks ago with a pulse in my left ear. Thought that it would go away if I got my ears syringed but there was no wax there. This is when I started to panic!! I have visited my G.P. - blood tests are all normal, hearing test normal - I have just been referred to ENT I am visiting dentist tomorrow to see if it is related to a misaligned jaw! I am going completely crazy - I just can't sleep - had to ring the Samaritans 2 nights ago because I felt so desperate! I only thing that is keeping me sane is an I Pod playing music in my left ear. It is really great that we are all supporting each other - health professionals seem to have very little knowledge of this condition - I will keep in touch. Best wishes to everyone. 8-|

I have had this prob for years......and have found a radio on all night helps....
instead of listening to ears ringing,...listen to radio...

I have been hearing a swoosh, swoosh, swoosh sound, in rythum with my heart beat, in my left ear for several months and may have found the cause today. I just got back from an ENT appointment and the doctor pulled several hairs that were touching my ear drum. The Doc said this could be the cause. I only really heard the heart beat at night when it is quiet, so I have to wait till tonight to find out if that was it, but I thought I would mention this as a possible cause.

I have had this problem for years. Some medications will cause your heart to pound. I know it can drive you crazy when your heart is pounding on the pillow. I fold my pillow so my ear is not on the pillow and that helps a lot. I also bought a sound machine you use at night and I use the sound of rain falling. I now longer hear my heartbeast; the machine works wonders.

Hoofus

So glad to hear I'm not alone! I began hearing my heartbeat in my left ear a last week. It occurs most often when I bend down from the waist, or when my head is lowered while sitting. And, like many posting here, it's more evident at night when it is quietest.

Not sure what is the cause but I will keep checking here for ideas. Hey, look at the bright side; I can check my heartbeat without instruments of touching my wrists! :-)

Thanks all.

For anyone that can hear their own heart beat in an unusual manner, or those that hear a whooshing sound... You need to get it checked out. I have a friend who has this problem, as well. When he gets his neck adjusted it ends completely. If they find nothing, when your doctor investigates, then it may be your spine.

If you have a subluxation of the spine (especially in the neck) your artery may be affected causing the symptoms. See a chiropractor.

Additionally, you may have MVP of the heart; this will cause such symptoms. I have both (as well a more serious illness') and the combination can be very frustrating. However, the loud whooshing and heart beating sounds seem to only change when my neck is moved into a certain position, (or adjusted) and the position that helps it changes every time. I have a really unusual neck and an extra rib and vertebrae in my spine. However, the noise has become much worse the last year with no apparent cause aside from my blood pressure has been elevated more than normal even though it's not too high.

My hubby is a Chiropractor and is able to give some relief for the "noise" affected by my neck issues, but with MVP you often have similar symptoms that resonate more from the chest instead of the neck and ear.

It may be something much worse than a spinal issue or MVP and if you have insurance it's best to get checked. If either of the things I mentioned, you should have it checked anyway because both can at times have serious consequences when uncared for.

Hi all,
I have noticed a throbbing, pulsing heartbeat in my right ear, which seems worst at certain times of my menstrual cycle (just after my period, around ovulation). Has anyone ever heard of this?
Many thanks!!!

I am glad i am not the only crazy one here. I am a 15 year old who hears the same heart beat at night, its been driving me crazy for over a year now. The solution to this until i see a ent doctor is folding a blanket in half or pillow and to lay on my right side. I wish it would go away like the rest of you too. I am seriously glad that some people have the same problem (not really because it sucks) but i know that i am not going crazy. I hope we can find a real solution to this problem. :-)

This page has been such a relief to me. I had read somewhere that in rare cases this can be caused by a cerebral aneurysm. I also get a lot of headaches. For about a year now I have a whooshing beating sound which is in time to me heartbeat in my right ear. If my heart rate speeds up so does the pounding. Its as if I;m under water. Its really uncomfortable and unpredictable. Some nights I'm fine and others its a nightmare. At least I'm not alone. Does anyone know what actually causes it and how, if anything it is treated?

I have had the unusual noise (heartbeat, whooshing) for about a month. I went to the doctor, blood pressure was fine, and the ears and throat appeared to be normal. I was referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist because I also suffer from sinusitis. I will let you know the outcome of the visit to the specialist. I am also glad to know that I am not alone One thing I do believe is that this condition comes from prolonged exposure to loud noises. If anyone gets anything even a short term, temporary fix I would welcome it. The sleepless nights are becoming more frequent.

I have heard my heart pounding in my ears at night for some time. It is not difficult to get to sleep, typically, for me. When I am sick, it gets worse. I don;t think it is heart related, as most of the posts i have read on the heart issue refer to pounding in the neck and back of the head. Earlier today, I shot up from the computer and experienced the pounding. i notice it is happening when i am vertical sometimes now, too. Any suggestions as to what it might be?
I am tkaing low dose estrogen for early menopause symptoms. I noticed that this is one of the symptoms of menopause. The nighttime pounding has defintiley lessened since i have been taking this drug. But I have other symptoms as the reason for taking it, as the pounding would not have been a sufficient enough reason, YET!

You guys need to relax. I know what the problem is, and it isn't bad!!!!!
The swooshing sound is blood being channeled through your carotid artery which is normal. The heart beat again the pillow is the same thing. Relax.