I had surgery done to remove a posterior internal/external thrombosed hemorrhoid as well as an anterior skin tag from a previous thrombosed hemorrhoid. There are other postings stating the pain involved, and I found all the information true, but want to share how to get throught it. I was not fortunate to have a surgeon who told me too much up front, and thus I didn't ask many questions. The advice I share is in no way meant to work for everyone...but something may help.
1. The surgeon shared that this surgery is one of the more brutal ones a human can go through. The recovery from the cutting surgery part was easy, but it was the suture pain afterwards.
2. I was prescribed a narcotic to kill the pain. I was taking 2 pills every 4 hours and didn't even cut the pain. I called the Dr. office and found out that I can supplement the narcotic with an over the counter pain killer. Check with your doctor as to which one you can take.
3. I was "lucky" enough to not have passed a stool the 48 hours after the surgery. I was instructed to take some Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Make sure you have some on hand before your surgery to avoid the "how am I going to drive to get that" issue.
4. When you finally have to pass a stool, the pain is incredible, but I found that if you blow out (like blowing out your birthday candles) it will keep you from holding your breathe and straining.
5. I found that the sitz bath that fits onto the bowl of the toilet more helpful than sitting in the tub. It's more direct, and you are not sitting directly on the spot. I was soaking in a sitz bath 3 times a day for about the first 5 days. Fill it with the warmest water you can tolerate. Soak for 15-20 minutes.
6. I developed "diaper rash" about four days after the surgery. The area is weeping, which is expected, and is always moist. The Dr. advised me to purchase some Desitin (diaper rash ointment) and apply to the site. Not directly on the sphincter but on the cheek area around it.
7. Have lightday pantiliners on hand...it keeps things cleaner and you can change them easier than having to place fresh undies on all the time.
8. I found sitting directly on my butt was more helpful than sitting on a donut, but might be different for you.
9. Sitting on a heating pad in between soaking in the sitz baths helps.
10. Drink LOTS of water, and make sure that the Dr. has prescribed you a stool softener while taking the narcotic pain killer. The narcotic tends to bind you up.
11. I would highly recommed that you take at least 10 days off. I took off 5 days and went to work for 4 hours on the 6th day....too much.
12. My pain after the surgery was directly related to the tightness of the sutures and had to go into the Dr. office before my 3 week check up to have him trim off the external knot/end of the suture. The sutures used are dissolvable...and everyone's dissolving rate is different...I was lucky to be on the long end of the time line. You will be poked and stabbed until the ends start to dissolve.
13. I only took the narcotic for the first 5 or 6 days and then switched to ibuprofen and alternating with acteminophen every 2-3 hours. I did this for about 4 days straight before it eased up.
14. Most importantly, if you haven't done so yet, change your diet to include more high fiber foods. Stay away from diary products for awhile (milk in your cereal won't be a major problem...it's cheese and ice cream, etc. you should avoid). Lots of veggies, nuts, and fruit.

I would like to add some post script items to this posting.
I have encountered some more unusual side effects than most people, but want to share incase someone else is suffering through this as well.

Firstly, I want to mention that hemorrhoidectomies are more prevalent than you might think. I have been sharing with some people about my surgery, and was astonished at the number of people who either went through it or are planning on having it done. So, you are not alone!

Next, I had posterior interior surgery, which places the surgery on the more stressed area of the sphincter muscle. There is more pain associated with the posterior(back) than the anterior (front).

I started feeling more myself into the fourth week of my recovery, the sutures finally dissolved completely by then.

But, I began to experience muscle spasms (sharp pains that felt like a tightening and not letting go) after each bowel movement. The surgeon explained that in order to do the surgery they had to stretch the sphincter muscle to get in and do the surgery. This symptom is the muscle now beginning to heal and is reacting to the trauma of the stretching. There's not much you can do to alleviate the pain, other than pop more Advil or Motrin. I found that doing the kegel muscle exercises tended to help a little. There might be a slight loss of muscle tone after the surgery, so doing these exercises help a little.

I hope this post helps you get through it. I've read that recovery can take up to 3 months and that you will have continue to be careful...a warning from those who have had the surgery (even if it was years ago). Consider sitz baths and the heating pad your friends for life.

I can talk about this for days since I came back from the surgery 12 hours ago. I am at my home now, resting and preparing every single detail of my recovery process.

There are so many things that you need to know when you are at home, what you should do about your recovery process.

This whole healing process usually include refraining from daily activities. Those activities are lifting, bending, reaching for several months. Sometimes more. 

Also, you should know that using some hemorrhoids cream is something that you need to do if you want to get better soon.

If you notice some discharge, that is normal. Just go and take some shower.

When you are sitting at your chair, put some pillow on it.

There are also some natural ways to assist in healing hemorrhoids and shouldn't be overlooked. I have heard of many people getting great results from these. Heal Hemorrhoids is used to treat external hemorrhoids / internal hemorrhoids and is proven to shrink hemorrhoidal tissue and completely eliminate the condition. Heal Bleeding Hemorrhoids is an anti-inflammatory formula used to treat bleeding hemorrhoids. This formula is also used to calm acute pain and reduce swelling. Both formulas have been formulated with the highest quality essential oils.

Hi, I know that it's April of 2013, but so far you have been the most helpful. I had my surgery on the 12th and its the 17th, I have a school vacation, but will need to go back teaching next Monday (10 days) I hope this will be enough. I feel badly for all the people who have had so much pain and trouble. I put this off for years. They started after having babies 24 years ago! The last six months, there was so much blood, I had to go to the doctor again. He said it had to be done. A few years ago, I had my worst one banded which worked, then the same one banded again which didn't work. Years later, here I am. I'm lucky that I only had one to deal with. I agree that the knot from the stitches that sticks out and the feeling of tightness is bad, and it's the most sore there. I called the doctor today because I wanted to ask him about this(before I looked on line) and being so tired. He said he hadn't heard of tiredness after this surgery, but any time you have surgery, it can affect your hormones. I have that sort of tired in the head feeling and have to rest more than I want to. I always have a high fiber diet ever since I did Weight Watchers a few years ago, so you're right about that too. I do the sitz baths, and if I don't feel like doing that, I have a shower head that comes down off the wall ,that has helped me deal with this all along. No doctor told me to use hot water; a pharmacist did years ago when I had the hemorrhoids after babies and couldn't sleep which lead to anxiety and depression. It was more awful than this pain. Also I've had a kidney stone, and that is unbelievable until it passes. So I guess I am luckier than I thought since I just have taken ibuprophen and have avoided the narcotics. And I've managed to read, watch movies, and do simple crafts in bed. I went out with pillows and a blanket on an outside chair for a while today. After all the horrible posts, I consider myself lucky. But I can only imagine having multiple hemerroids, and I wish everyone a speedy recovery and happier days ahead! Again, if you have hemerroids now, get a good adjustable shower head that you can hold and squirt with the warmest water you can. Until mine got so bad, that reduced the swelling.. And don't wait; high fiber is healthy. I thought I had lactose intolerance or worse, so did my husband, until we upped our fruits, vegetables and high fiber cereal and bread.

If anyone is thinking of getting this surgery id say try every other option first because the pain after words is awful. Like many people i was not told much by my doctor and even that I was having the op I thought i was going in for another camera session and was not until they were putting me to sleep i realised it was something more serious. Going to the toilet afterward i the worst pain i have ever felt in my life its impossible to clean yourself afterwards but obv you need to so i could the best way was not to wipe the area but to have a shower afterwards and hose the area and it also helps with the pain. I was unlucky that one of my stitches did not dissolve properly and needed to take antibodies to help[ with it because it got infected, i was never giving any check up after my surgery apart from me attending my GP for the stitches, 2 years later iv now returned to my GP again because the area is tender and itchy again, all along i have thought that my hemorrhoids were back until i exam-ed myself a few days ago and it was my scar tissue that was sore and a lump beside it. Ends up 2 years later my stitch still had not dissolved and this is the reason iv been still in pain so if you have this surgery demand a post op appointment. Good luck :)    

What an informative post on hemorrhoids ! Thank yoIu so much! I had my surgery jun 16 and have done most of all you suggested. My problem now is the drainage and "diaper rash" which in my experience has been the worst. The rash feels like poison ivy but looks like hives. The itching is terrible. I am partially deaf and cannot really hear to talk on the phone. Thanks again for your information it was most helpful.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I has an hemorrhoidectomy, fissure repair , fistula repair , a tear in the sphincter muscle repaired and skin tags removed all in one surgery. My surgeon was wonderful ! He told me what to expect and sent me home with pain meds so I would be comfortable. My surgery was June 12 , I t is now June 25 and I have done great all but this diaper type rash that just recently came up. I have tried everything and It won't go away. The diaper rash meds seem to make it worse . It is driving me crazy more so than the surgery and the pain I went through !! Any other suggestions ???

Both posts have been very helpful to me. I had the surgery 3 days ago and the pain has been insanely terrible. I agree, the hot baths/sitz bath are your friends. The doc and nurse advised this and didnt take the advice to heart. I was taking hot showers and still having excruciating pain. Then, I took heed and sat in a tub of hot water for 20 minutes. It was like a miracle. My persistent awful pain was gone and remained at bay for 6 hours. My biggest piece of advice is also to be sure you do a hot bath every few hours. It's a life saver.

I had my hemorrhoidectomy performed on September 23rd of this year. I have had so many complications since then including two overnight hospital stays. It was a week before I had a bowel movement so I was hospitalized in so much pain. I also have urinary retention and have had to come home with a foley catheter in for a week, taking 15 days of Flomax. My behind is raw from the diarrhea-like stool from having to take two cap fulls of Miralax 2x a day and senakot tablets. Everything makes me nauseated so I am taking Zofran also. I am beyond miserable. Wouldn't wish this pain on my worst enemy.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy November 12th. I had 2 external & a couple internal hemorrhoids. I am one week into recovery. My doctor explained the surgery well to me, but not much on the recovery. He acted like it wasn't going to be a big deal. The numbing drug he gave me during surgery lasted for about 3 days, which helped with the pain. I was also perscribed hydrocodone & tol to alternate advil or ibuprofen in between if needed. I will tell you days 4,5,&6 I experienced the worst pain of my life while trying to have a bowel movement! The baths worked good afterwards to soak & sooth the area. The medication didn't seem to help me with the pain. I used a 4" X 4" guase pad folded between my butt cheeks to catch drainage which I still have 7 days into recovery. I change them out every couple hours or after a bowel movement. As for the pain while having a bowel movement, I found it helped me to breath like my wife did during child birth. Stool softners are a must! My advice is to explore every other option before signing up for this surgery, even a second opinion. I am on day 7 & finally feel like I am turning the corner. It was by far the most painful experience I have gone through. I feel bad for any one going through this. Good luck!

I had surgery on Feb 17th. 8 days ago. I am in so much pain. Had 1st bowel movement 3 days after surgery. 3 on Saturday and on sunday. Each time it seem to get worst. I take sit bath and use a heating pad every day. Spend Monday the 22nd in the hospital. They change them education to Vicodin . It only make me sleep it's not helping very well

Not buying it. While I agree with the prescribe first philosophy, kind of, I don't think it's fair to lie to patients. Nothing will treat hemies except for intervention. Anything you buy will simply alleviate the symptoms and won't solve the problem.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy and and a Fissure fixed over a month ago and I'm still getting some pain and itching when having a bowel movement and after it's not severe pain but I just hope its not another fissure cuz I've had two surgeries on my but in the past 4 months and I don't think I can go through another one so any help anyone can give me would be appreciated

Is diaper rash cream alright to treat the itch?