I will have my pre op appointment next week but my nerves are shot right now ans was hoping some of you cold help me.

Is it in patient out out??? I have heard both and am confused by this.

Really how bad is it, would I be able to go to a wedding a week later, that is out of state?

mine was outside hospital but having said that-i was "out" for the operation. its day 4 for me and i am a little surprised how persistent the pain is even with painkillers. BUT-its mostly manageable. On day 2 i thought it wasn't so bad but on day 4 i'm still home. if it were me, i would not be looking forward to leaving the comfort of my home after 7 days....
budget the days for a full recovery imho
e\Ely

Hemorrhoid surgery usually requires an overnight hospital stay, but may be performed on an outpatient basis. Before the procedure, the patient is usually placed on a special diet to prepare the bowels. Laxatives and an enema may be used to clear the lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract prior to surgery. The procedure is performed under anesthesia and a device called an anoscope is used to view the hemorrhoid. During the surgery, the blood supply to the hemorrhoid is tied off and the hemorrhoid is removed, along with some surrounding tissue, if necessary. The surrounding lining may be left open or closed.

Hemorrhoid Surgery

Also called: Laser Hemorrhoidectomy, Surgical Hemorrhoid Removal, Hemorrhoidectomy, Hemorrhoid Removal
- Summary
- About hemorrhoid surgery
- Before hemorrhoid surgery
- During hemorrhoid surgery
- After hemorrhoid surgery
- Potential benefits and risks
- Alternatives and variations
- Questions for your doctor

Reviewed By:
Vikram Tarugu, M.D., AGA, ACG

Test Your Knowledge
- Anal & Rectal Disorders Quiz
Quizzes A-Z

Summary

Hemorrhoid surgery is the surgical removal of hemorrhoids and excess tissue around the hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are swollen, stretched veins in the wall of the anus and rectum. Hemorrhoid surgery is important in the treatment of extensive or severe hemorrhoids. It is not generally used to treat mild to moderate hemorrhoids unless patients develop certain complications (e.g., persistent bleeding) or other treatments fail.

Pain and discomfort are common following hemorrhoid surgery and pain-relief medications are usually prescribed. After surgery, the rectal area is monitored for bleeding and laxatives are used to ease defecation. Fluid intake is also monitored. Any increased rectal bleeding, pus drainage, fever, constipation or rectal spasms need to be reported to a physician. It is important to prevent constipation following surgery.