OK...Looking for some friends here, of which there seem to be many.  I wish I could find TexasChic who helped another through this surgery 3 yrs ago (a post under recovery)... 

I am absolutely petrified but have a protracted cluster stage 4 that the only solution is surgery.  I went in with this 2 yrs ago but did nothing..but have now had the worst 6 weeks of my life with bleeding, protrusion, and pain...hours a day on the sitz bath, cream... NOT FUN.  Reading too much (available these days) absolutely scares me to death to have surgery...BUT it is a permanent solution...so many say it was their worst decision ever but never give a follow up that after that REALLY BAD phase...it is a solution???  Looking for someone to help me work through this.  I will likely do surgery in late Sept/ Early Oct...  Anyone have any feedback? 

Absolutely do it.  Yes, there will be some pain, but with a good surgeon and aggressive pain management, it doesn't have to be the horror you read about.  I just posted my story today under Positive Surgery Story.  Read that and some of your concerns may be alleviated.  I suffered for 28 years.  Considered surgery 15 years ago, but wimped out and ignored it until I was desperate.  I had a rectal pain pump for the first 6 days.  Do NOT have surgery without a surgeon who will provide you with this.  It made all the difference.  Good Luck.  It's just over 2 weeks out and I feel pretty normal.  As long as I remember my topical creams, I have literally zero pain except with BM's.  At this point the BM pain is less than it was with the hemorrhoids though.   Good luck.