Hello everyone,
I wanted to share with you my experience of hemorrhoid sugary. I saw this forum before the sugary and wasn't too sure about having it due to all of the horror stories people have posted about the pain and recovery. But then an internal hemorrhoid prolapsed out and stayed that way for 10 days interfering with my work and daily functions. After 5 years of suffering with the problem on and off including banding treatments I decided to do the sugary and endure any pain that may come from it as long as it can return me to a normal functioning lifestyle.

I was quite nervous the day of the sugary but was reassured by my surgeon that things should go well. He preformed the standard golden model of cutting out the hemorrhoids with a scalpel and leaving the wound open to recover. This method is considered having the best success rate but also has the longest recovery time. Since I was fully sedated I had to stay at the hospital overnight for observation. When I woke up I was in some moderate pain and was given a pain killer for relief which I threw up almost instantly. The nurse then gave me a shot in me rear which started to relieve the pain. My wife decided to stay with me the night which I was grateful for since every time I had to get out of bed, I was dizzy, in pain and couldn't really stand up on my own. I was hooked up to an IV and was told that if I didn't start to urinate by the morning a catheter would need to be inserted in order to release the urine. I must say that this wasn't an experience I wanted to go threw right now and was up half the night trying to urinate but for some reason just couldn't go! Finally about 3:00 A.M. I got something going down there.

The day I came home I rested for the most part in bed and had very little appetite. I got Percocet and Etopan from my doctor for the pain and started taking Percocet every 8 – 10 hours. The pain at this point was tolerable and controllable with the pain medication. I also was sure to eat only things that would cause an easy bowl movement such as oatmeal, fruits and vegetables, high fiber cereals and granola. After reading one of the posts here I decided that every day I would take a short walk around my block for 5 – 10 minutes. This I found as an invaluable task since not only did it make me feel better, but I also got out of the house seeing other people.

On the third day my first bowl movement came since the sugary. I must say that it was quite painful event with the pain medication. I hopped right into the bath after I finished which is also one of the most soothing things I've found outside of the medication. The baths have really saved me from the pain on more than one occasion. The pain would last 3 – 4 hours where I would either be in the bathtub or in bed. I was expecting much more pain after reading all of the different posts here so relatively I was relieved that the pain wasn't quite as bad as expected.

My wife stayed at home with me for the first 3 days helping me with food / drink preparation, helping to and from the bathroom and taking care of the kids. After 3 days I felt I could already get up and take care of myself and at the very least prepare simple meals in the microwave. Every day I feel a small improvement and can really feel the recovery happening slowly. I've also filled the time with reading, internet, shows I've wanted to watch for a long time and anything that can take my mind off of the pain.

Today, 12 days after the sugary, I feel a major improvement yet am still recovering. I stopped taking the pain medications 2 days ago which allowed me to begin driving again. I started running some errands including some shopping, PTA meetings but have not returned to work yet. Takes things slow! Most of my outdoor functions I limit to 1 hour max since I am still feeling slightly uncomfortable. I've slowly extended my daily walks to about 1 hour now.

The horror stories posted here scared me at first but as each day progresses I am certain that having the sugary is the right way to go. For people that are suffering, take the leap and relieve yourself of this problem once and for good.

Okay ... so here is my experience so far. I had two hemorrhoids ... one internal, and one fairly large external one (commonly referred to by my husband as 'The Squashed Grape' ... as that was about the size of it). My piles came from childbirth, after two rather large babies. My internal hemorrhoid seemed to make me forever nauseous, especially when I had a c**p on it's way out. In fact my period made that worse too, as all my internals were swollen then. The external one would die down and go squishy, and then blow up and make it uncomfortable to sit down. So I decided to go ahead with the surgery. It was 3 hours in total ... one hour pre-surgery prep (pee sample, dress in gown, etc), one hour surgery under general anaesthetic, and one hour recovery - then home. I was given a 3 day prescription of super strong painkillers, and then I had to take off the shelf pain meds ... as the surgeon advised against the prescription pain killers for too long as they constipate you. When I got home from surgery, it didn't feel too bad, as I think I had a local anaesthesia jabbed in my butt before going home to help ease the initial pain. I had no bowel Movement the first day, and was able to pee ... although the pee was a bit stop/start for the first 24 hours after surgery, as your bits are swollen. The next day after surgery, I had a very small liquid bowel movement (as all I had had since surgery was water due to feeling yuk after the op). The liquid bowel movement didn't feel too bad but I didn;t wipe myself so much as dab my butt dry with a wet wipe. Day two I had a bowel movement and it was slightly painful but bearable ... it was soft broken up pieces, and just hurt a little as the butt opened up. I thought that this was easier than I had read about. Then day three, I had quite a solid bowel movement. Despite taking stool softeners, I had made the mistake of eating brown bread with extra fiber thinking that I was doing myself a favor ... oh no ... the c**p was probably about an inch in diameter and fairly solid, and I nearly passed out on the toilet. The pain was so ripping that I was actually shaking on the toilet for about15 minutes afterwards unable to move. I had quite a bit of blood from the surgery area, and some kind of mucus looking liquid, as well as what looked like a piece of dissolvable stitch. I had to stumble to the bath tub. The pain was excrutiating, and I was terrified to eat anything afterwards as what goes in has to come out (so the quickest diet weight loss that I have ever had). The warm/hot bath was an amazing relief and I sat in there for about half an hour not wanting to leave the soothing feeling of the water. There were bits of stool and blood floating in the bath ... gross I know .. but may as well be honest. When I got out the bath, I did feel better but felt like I had taken a major set-back in my recovery. The doctor's office had phoned me to see how I was doing, and I explained that I thought that I had given birth to a third child out of my derriere .... She recommended that I drink at least a gallon of water a day, and also, try hard to eat mainly fruit and veg ... stay well away from bread or other items that will bulk out the stools. So I have tried to follow the advice. Didn't c**p yesterday but had a bowel movement today, which, after just veg and salad consumption seems to have made it a lot easier. The c**p was considerably softer and came out easier. My butt still stings after a bowel movement but not quite as badly as previously.

Here are some tips that I have found have helped me .... keep some thin mechanic style latex gloves in your bathroom, and a small tub of olive oil. When you feel ready for a bowel movement, put your glove on, dip your fingers in oil, and try to lubricate the immediate anal area .. it will honestly help the c**p come out quicker, smoother and easier. I don't feel any pain from the internal hemorrhoid that was removed, but the external one is the painful one with bowel movements, as it feels as if it is getting ripped open after every dump. With your gloved fingers, put pressure with your fingers to the area where the hemorrhoid was removed as the stool comes out ... this is a little gross as you will feel the stool brush past your gloved fingers on it's way out, but I have found that this gives immense support to the stitched area ... almost like when you have had a c-section and you are advised to hold a pillow to your stomach if you need to cough. My wound still bled a little, but not as bad. I find after a bowel movement that it is best to have a dip in the tub ... even if you are not that sore, as it will ensure that the area is as clean as possible for hygiene. After a bowel movement, I find that I get fluid leakage for a good 4-6 hours afterwards ... a mixture of runny poop, blood, and mucus type liquid. It helps to have a large period pad strategically placed in my underwear bewlow the anal area ... and every half hour or so after the BM, I dab my anal area with a flushable wet wipe to help soak up the fluids.

I have had two c-sections ... one emergency and one scheduled. The emergency one was very painful as the muscles were sliced after 18 hours of labor .... but the pain has not been as bad as the hemorrhoidectomy. The main reason for this feeling is because with my c-section, I could lie in bed, and only needed to move to go to the bathroom, so I could totally rest. The hemorrhoidectomy is very much one step forward two steps back during the whole recovery, as the anal area is continually moist and covered up, so it can't heal as easily, and every bowel movement pulls back your recovery considerably. I don't think I would opt for this surgery again unless I was in serious excrutiating pain with the hemorrhoids. That said, I have heard that after recovery, providing you stick to good diet practice with what you eat and consuming lots of fluids, you are fairly unlikely to get hemorrhoids again .. particularly if you got them due to childbirth as I did. I don't feel the internal hemorrhoid removal particularly ... just the external one by the anus.

You will need a few weeks to recover, and if you have children, as I do .. you will need help from someone, as you are not to pick up the kids/babies while your stitches are healing immediately for the first week after surgery. And you may find that you can only sit sideways on your hip, so tricky for feeding a newborn ... as I have.

Good luck to anyone ... and hope that you get better soon ... xx

Okay - me again ... I am now at two weeks post surgery ... and to be honest, I don't feel too bad at all considering how awful I felt immediately after the surgery. I may take standard Advil painkillers once a day ... normally after a bowel movement. I do still get a little scared when I feel the bowel movement building up. The bowel movement is still a little painful but not quite the same ripping tearing sort of feeling of a week ago ... just soreness, a little light bleeding, and some sort of mucus type oozing for a couple of hours after the bowel movement. I am still wearing a sanitary pad in my underwear due to the post BM oozing. I am also still taking a warm bath after a BM too ... although now it is less about the soothing, and more about ensuring the area is kept as clean as possible. I am able to sit on my rear with just slight discomfort. Probably the worse thing now is the itching ... which I seem to notice most at night when I lie down in bed ... and of course, the area is too tender to be scratched ... so I have to push gently with the sanitary pad to try to relieve the itching. My husband seems to think that the itching is a good sign of the skin healing down there. The swelling has gone down considerably ... as after the surgery, it looked and felt as if I had a whole lot of new external hemorrhoids with the swollen lumpiness. Now my a/hole is starting to look a bit prettier. I think it will still be a few more weeks until I feel 100%, but I definitely feel a whole lot better at the two week post surgery stage.

So more advice .... keep drinking lots and lots of water .... like a lake full !!! Eat healthily .... fruit, veg, salad ... and stay away from bread, rice ... and anything else stodgy as this will make your logs big and hard making it painful to pass them !!! It will get better so don't panic if you are right at the beginning of your recovery process and worried that there is no end in sight ... because two weeks to feel a lot more comfortable is not too bad at all !!!

xxx

unfortunately by age 19 i had four external (two thrombosed) and three thrombosed internal hemorrhoids, this required surgery as it was so painful i couldn't even walk upright but more with a hunchbacks stance and cane to lean most of my forward weight on. (thanks grandpa) there's only one thing I haven't seen other people bring to light that I can offer and thats one part of helping with recovery (and something you should learn anyhow to prevent further issues).......ever tried urinating and not tensing your butt? one suggestion I can make that helped me drastically is to learn how to use your kegal muscles (men and women) and utilize that for urination instead of running the risk of popping stitches or staples or even just irritating future hemorrhoids. I've got a few more now that I'm 23 unfortunately but my recovery time is lessened due to less irritation of the culprits and some witch hazel seems to do the trick. hope this helps someone.

My experience with external excision of 4 hemmorhoids on 2/28/12-  I expected the worst, and the first 2 days were not as bad as I had expected. I did alternate taking Percocet 1 and 1 vicodin every 2.5-5 hours, which helped me sleep and tolerate the pain. I had trouble urinating occasionally, but was able to go in the shower or bath. The pain was much worse the 3rd day (2 days after surgery) when I started to feel the need to have a BM, but was unable to. THe pain those next 3 days were horrible, intensifying when my bowels would attempt to move, unsuccessfully. I sat in the bathtub multiple times a day, with water as hot as I could stand it. I had read on here that others were able to poop in the tub, or sitz bath, but I couldn't get it to come. The sitz bath put too much gravity pressure on the wound, so I sat in the tub frequently. My body trembled, and I tried to do lamaze breathing to cope. Finally, the 5th day(4th postop day) I passed a BM into the toilet, with my husband scared to death, watching, until I yelled at him to stop watching. "If you hear me pass out and hit the floor, come back and check on me" I hollered. The 3 days where I couldn't poop, I wore a pad to catch the poop that would ooze out.
I am now 2 1/2 weeks postop, had my 2 wk postop appt, and am doing well. I stopped taking presciption pain meds and only take ibuprofen since 10days out. My dr said there are 2 small open areas that will heal, and that my butt "will not be smooth like a baby's bottom", but that's ok, it's much better than it was. I have very small couple of skin taggy things, smaller than a pea, but I am still healing. I never had any real blood with Bms like some people saw. I have taken citrucel and colace 2 times a day since surgery, which helps, and I tried not to eat meat for a week. It is a little tender when the stool is harder, so keep it soft. I read comments on here constantly while recovering the first week, so I thank everyone that has commented. 
I am an avid exerciser, and walked for the first time postop 10days out, did 2 miles, but felt like my rectum was falling out the whole time. I waited another week to try again, after my MD said I could walk, but not run  yet, and it was much better. I went back to work (I'm a nurse) after 10 days-it was sore, but manageable. I didn't tell my boss, or I could have had more time off, but I didn't want to share this info. Good luck to all you out there reading this.

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday 3-22-12. I'm so TERRIFIED! But I'm tired of being in pain. i have had my hemmorhoids  for 19 yrs and I'm sick of hurting all the time.... Say a prayer for me please:) Thank you
:)

I am 1 week post surgery today. There is hope for life now. The last few days have been good reason to shoot myself. There is a lot of good info here but the doctors orders were pretty clear. High fiber diet with stool softener and lots of waterI have been taking 3 Phillips caps 1X day. Psyllium fiber would have been better but I haven't had it until today. I used a blender for most everything. Yogurt milk and stewed prunes make a tasty smoothie. Prune juice is the best juice to drink. I have been eating oatmeal, granola, turnip greens, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, beans, peas, boiled carrots, stewed apricots, apples, okra, tomatoes and they all worked well and are easy to make. Blending most of them with some mild spices, and chicken broth, or milk as appropriate make tasty soups that pass easily. Campbell's makes some bean and pea soups that are pretty tasty for those who don't make your own beans. I ate too much after surgery and put myself through more BMs than if I had eaten lighter. The importance of fiber cannot be overemphasized. I tried hamburger and pork ribs but paid the price. Meat is too dense. It hurts to take a BM more than you can imagine but I figured the best way for me that made it tolerable. When pressure indicates an impending BM I get in the shower or tub and start the water. Relaxing is the secret. Warm water relaxes the muscles and release is easier. My first BM was in the bath tub while soaking in the hottest water I could stand. Messy? Yes, but sh*t is water soluble and goes down the drain like anything else. Since then I got a small plastic chair and put it in the shower and use a hand held shower head. It's easier to alternately stand, sit and squat in the shower while continuously rinsing with the spray. It's amazing how effective the combination of warm water and different positions helps empty the bowels and bladder with minimum pain. Don't misunderstand, the pain stinging and burning are still bad but the secret is to relax enough to fully empty the bowels. It sounds gross but trust me and try it. It all washes down the drain. All that with lots of water, pain meds every four hours and max dose of Ibuprofen. It's one week now and it is still a painful process but tolerable without some of the horror stories like some on here. I was pain free most of the day today. I had two BM's and that took about an hour each time to go through.. Try the shower routine. I'm a convert.