Hello all,

I did a lot of reading the past few weeks about hemorrhoid surgery and I saw nothing in too much detail about what I am experiencing.  Let me start by giving you a quick background:

I am a 25 year old male who had hemorrhoidectomy done 4 weeks ago to remove internal hemorrhoids which were causing severe pain, itching, and burning. I didn't have any bleeding.  Post-surgery, I had some bleeding complications (3 days later) which required the doctors to put me back under anasthesia to close the stitches again.  Prior to the surgery, I received multiple Infrared Coagulation treatments, and multiple bandings with no resolution of symptoms.

It is now 4 weeks later and I still have itching, cactus-like burning / tingling inside.  It is definitely still swollen and not fully healed. My surgeon told me that the swelling makes it impossible to examine properly (at least for another week or so), but I explained to him that I was still having these symptoms and he seemed a little worried.  He told me that when he can examine it again, he would let me know if it was successful or not, but has anyone ever experienced this after surgery?  It's almost as if I never had the surgery at all.  The itching / burning / tingling is just inside the anus (about an inch inside at the most, nothing on the outside).   I generally take care to wipe properly, no alcohol or scented stuff, I don't overclean, I keep it dry, I don't eat spicy foods, no beer, etc. etc.  I really went over and beyond to care for the area.

So are the itching, burning, and tingling symptoms normal after surgery while the swelling goes down?  Please any help is appreciated.  I hope that I did not do this all for nothing because recovering from the surgery pain was horrible.  I've never experienced such pain and misery in my life and I would hate to have to do it again.  Thank you in advance.

The itching and tingling sounds like a normal part of the healing process.  I had shooting pains too, that's comical when you get it and you jump wondering what the hell is going on.  Its been 8 months since my surgery, and while i had internal and external removed all at the same time, everything healed up quickly in my opinion.  Swelling was still bad after 3 weeks, but occasional spasms even now.
Are you using a cream to apply inside to help with healing, if not you should get that.

Yes, I know because I had exactly the same situation. I was scared when I saw some blood (actually, this was an ichor but since I am a huge hypochondriac I believe that something serious is going wrong with me.)

Anyway, my advice for everyone is the next - don't jump with the conclusions. It is not because of a hemorrhoids cream, it is because of the healing process that you are going thorough.

I was fighting with this for almost four months and this was a night mare for me.

Trust me on this one - you are going to be ok. This cream is going to help you.  

Neverending wrote:

Hello all,

Glad it isnt just me! Its like I haven't done the op. I had a fissure sorted and polyps (internal) removed....plus the heamarroids.........this was done on the 16th of March 2012, externally it feels like nothing was done!! so frustrated!!

yes, I experienced that too, although by 4 weeks, my symptoms were almost all gone. I had 2 grade 4 internal and 1 grade 3 internal removed along with 2 externals. everyone heals at a different pace though. 

I really feel for you. I am a little over 5 weeks out from inner & outer hemmerhoids removed. I understand the extreme pain & misery you have been through. Although the pain while having bm's is very mild now & I feel like I can leave the house without worrying I may poop myself finally, the itching is driving me in sane!! I had an appt yesterday morning to follow up with my surgeon but she canceled me while I was on my way to see her. She is also the one that said I could return to work a week after surgery. What a crock. I could go on & on how I feel about her but the purpose I'm writing this and researching is because this itching is keeping me up at night. I was hoping to get sn answer from doc. But can't really believe a damn thing she says anyway. How long will this itching go on??? The only good thing that I have gained from this experience is that I have so much empathy for those who suffer with chronic pain & illness. My heart & prayers go out to you. Hope someone comments on this that can tell me when approx, the itching inside & out will end. Thank u. Upset on Phoenix

I have been experiencing the same problem. Believe me, i stopped trusting this surgery.Even after 2 yrs of surgery, the itching and pain came back. I which there is a permanent cure. The itching is really bad and i feel it spreads, if i use the ointment. I tried proper food, use laxatives etc. Nothing helps.

its normal my friend as its in a healing process. dnt u worry it will get better day by day . mine was iching on the 8 day after my surgery ., i just get pain when i go to poo. well i know it will fet better . be positive

are u glad you did the surgery and is it all gone now

I'm 2 weeks post op. I had 4 hemorrhoids removed. Also a fistulotomy, sphincterotomy and anoplasty. I feel like I have acid down there sometimes. Sitz baths help the most. In my opinion it's all part of the healing. Good luck!

Hey. I had some internal hemorrhoids removed too but like 3 or 4 years ago. Recently, earlier this year, I experienced bleeding and irritatation in the area after having difficulty passing hard stool. Later on, after a few days, the bleeding stopped but then some itchyness developed that won't go away.

hello patric,
its been years of your surgery i just wanted to ask that iam 6 weeks post op healing much better but still having itching and burning(cactus like feling) i think its from one of the large skin tag which is still red and seems like a wound.....can you please tell what your doc said for your iching case

hi Alex,
how are you feeling now,iam 5 n half weeks post op and still experiencing itching,sometimes buring and sharp feeling down there,,,,,any medicine you used for this that works,iam due to visit my DR after 1 week.....

Anyone who had them removed externally (mine were grade 3&4) how long until the wounds healed externally??? I am 5 weeks post op and although I can see improvement I can still see the open wounds. Starting to panic that this isn't normal. The last thing I want is more surgery to fix the wounds. Somebody please plesse reply.

I am now 8 weeks post op. My surgeon and primary both suggested Desitin cream (the diaper rash stuff) This builds a barrier so that the acids can't get in the wound and allow it to heal. The biggie they said was not to use any type of powder, because it will build up int he cuts and your skin may heal around it causing a whole new problem. I am still itching and burning down there, sometimes it migrates to my labia. It got so bad that I thought I had a yeast infection. But alas no infection just this stupid side effect from the surgery. I wish you all the best of luck! Still taking 2 baths a day for multiple hours each. I often think my bottom will grow gills to adjust to its new environment. LOL Stay strong, and scratch lightly!