My wife is diagnosed with hemorrhoids. She started to complain about pain but once she noticed blood, she went to her doctor. I was not surprised with her diagnosis, because I know hemorrhoids causes these problems. However, I was surprised with her doctor suggestion for treatment. He said she needs hemorrhoidectomy so I would like to hear more about this.

In some cases, hemorrhoids can be treated effectively with diet, good hygiene, or topical medications. However, in some cases doctors concluded how diet and medicines are not enough. For those people who do not respond to non-surgical treatments, they might experience long-term relief through surgery. Surgery is a good option for people with large hemorrhoids that are painful or bleeding, such as you said your wife has. Less invasive procedures might effectively treat smaller hemorrhoids, but hemorrhoidectomy is good surgical treatment. During hemorrhoidectomy, the doctor makes incisions around the anus to cut away hemorrhoids that made her a problem. A drawback to this procedure is that the incisions are made in a highly sensitive area, and might require stitches. This can cause the area to be tender and painful. This procedure might be done using a numbing medicine while the patient is sleepy but awake, which is known as local anesthesia. In some cases, surgery is performed when the patient is asleep in general anesthesia. Hemorrhoidectomy is generally an outpatient procedure, and patients usually go home the same day, so definitely a good choice for heavy hemorrhoids problem relief.