I am scheduled on the 20th of November to have one hemorrhoid removed by means of hemorrhoidectomy. I have read the forums on here and it has me terrified. I only have to have one removed so is the recovery time better since it is just one. It seems like most of the stuff on here was for multiple ones to be removed. I really hope it is not as bad on here as I read. My surgeon told me the recovery time is different for everyone, average person he said is 2 to 3 weeks but if all goes well and I feel better I could be on light duty after a week. Could someone give me some insight. %-) Totally confused and scared now.

Funegrl61,
I had my surgery this morning at 7 am to remove a pretty decent size hemorrhoid that was on the edge of my opening - kind of partly an inner and outer. My doctor said that having it cut out was my only option. I started researching this a bit late, but after reading people's experiences I did some "cram" type research. Please take into account that I've had a umbilical hernia surgery at the same time - which I would have done separately if I knew how much more difficult it is making getting around. But honestly so far the hernia has been more painful to me at this point but I'm prepared to see that change.

I am 36 and I'm in fairly decent health. I work out some and I have about 20% body fat. I think that helps alot. Getting up and down would be really difficult if I were more out of shape.

If I could do this over again, I would probably change my diet as soon as possibe to what you plan on eating after surgery. The reason is that it is important to know what your body needs to get a soft stool that still has bulk in it. I did start using Metamucil a couple of weeks ago, but I wish I had experimented with other softeners and mineral spirits with my diet. Having to experiment after the surgery is more stressful since this is a VERY important part of recovery. Be aware that your pain pills will cause constipation and if you allow that to happen, it will affect your recovery experience quite drastically.

The other thing I'm being very strict about is taking my pain pills on time. Right after waking from surgery, I was hurting from my hernia and the pain increased consistently until they gave me pain pills. It took about 20 minutes before the pain broke - I was starting to tear up - partly from the pain and partly from the stress of "what if this keeps getting worse". However, my butt hasn't really hurt much until about 5 pm - and my surgery was at 7 am; I woke around 10 I think; and was headed home around 11:30 am. So far I am very happy with my recovery..but it's still early on. I am nervous about my upcoming BMs but I can't give any info on that yet.

I hope this helps.

Tacomaguy, I know it has been awhile since your surgery. Do you have any scars from hemorrhoidectomy? Are they minor? Did you use any additives to the sitz baths to prevent scarring?
Thanks