I wanted to share my story, as most of the contributions on this forum in regards to a hemorrhoidectomy are grim. I have suffered from hemorrhoids for about 5 years, due to constipation. To my knowledge I had one, that flared up a few times a year. The pain was bad but bearable and therefore I did not seek medical advice - until last week. I gave birth just over two weeks ago to my 2nd child. During my pregnancy, I suffered from constipation (which is common) but did not endure any noteworthy pain from hemorrhoids. I had a relatively easy birth, despite the extreme pushing - I was told to push like I was "having the biggest bowel movement" of my life! All seemed well. Then 4 days after delivering, I had my first BM. The stool was not hard, I was not constipated. Several hours after the BM, however, I noticed my hemorrhoid had swollen and started to get painful. The swelling continued and overnight, the hem looked massive and looked like a ring around the opening. In fact, it looked like a cluster of hems. I couldn't tell how many there were...although I knew that one looked thrombosed. I tried to wait and see if it would go down but it got progressively worse. By the second evening, I was in EXTREME pain and could not even sit or walk properly. The pain was by far worse than any childbirth recovery. So at midnight I went to the emergency department at the hospital. I was so reluctant to go due to being embarrassed. The attending doctor took one look at my behind and said something like "yep, this is bad. Nothing I can do here. You need surgery". Shortly after that, a surgeon came and had a look, then advised that I needed a hemorrhoidectomy. I didn't even know what this entailed...but I was desperate to get rid of these things. I agreed to have the surgery done then and there. Before I knew it, I was being knocked out. 20 minutes later, I woke up in a foggy dizzy haze. The hems were gone and in it's place was a lump of swollen tissue. The pain was gone...for a while. So I was discharged on the same day. I was given Synflex, Daflon and stool softeners/laxatives. The next day I had my first BM. I was terrified and it was sheer hell. There was painful stinging and lots of blood. I had about 4 sitz baths that day. This continued for about 6 days. Today I had my first follow up appointment with the surgeon and he says that everything is healing well. The lump of swollen tissue will go down in due course. Today I stopped taking the pain killers and for the first time I can see the light. BMs are still a little painful but nowhere near like a week ago. The bleeding has also reduced a lot. FYI, the doctor performed laser surgery (no stitches) and he said I had 3 prolapsed hems - one being thrombosed. I would do this all again in a heartbeat, as now I am rid of these hems. My recovery has not been as bad as some of the stories on here...but I guess it is still early days. I will update in a week or so. Also keep in mind that I had a newborn to look after during all this time. I also went to doctor's appointments and did some grocery shopping. If I had to go back to work, I could do it in the 2 week time frame suggested by some doctors. Goodluck to those recovering and also to those considering this procedure. It's a major event in your life.

I am day 5 post surgery. Have been taking minor painkillers, antibiotics, and an an anaesthetic cream. I have experieinced no pain, can sit fine, have had a little stinging but very minor. A little bleeding, but again minor. Movements are fine - have been eating a lot of fruit and veg. So far so good..

mbls-- your successful recovery is awesome! what type of procedure did you get? what type of hemorrhoids did you have? what grade? 

I'm 5 weeks post surgery. I had one hemmorhiod that continued to return over the course of a few years. Then twice in the past year it thrombosed. I hesitated to go under the knife. Especially after reading so many online horror stories. Here's my advice. Do it. Be disciplined in your recovery and you'll be fine. My pain was managed by Ibuprofen alone after taking one Vicodin after getting home from the procedure. Step by step what I did. 2 days prior to surgery go to a clear liquid diet. If you can't see through it don't put it in you body. Jello and broth is about to become your primary caloric intake. 1 day before surgery. Take a full dose of Miralax and two senna-s. You're about to empty yourself. Continue clear liquid diet. Morning of surgery enema. Now the doctor is going to send you home and say "continue your regular diet". Don't!! The next two days stay on the clear liquid diet. At this point I was taking a half dose of Miralax and one Senna-s everyday. (I continued until I felt I no longer needed to. About 10 days) Adjust for you. You want to be passing something. Just nothing too formed at first. Day 3&4 post op. Start mixing ice cream, cream of wheat, rice pudding, fruit, prunes, and apple sauce, along with the clear liquids. Take it slow! I know you're hungry but you've made it this far. Don't make a glutinous move you'll regret on the toilet the next day. Day 5-7 Slowly add chicken breast, canned tuna, mashed potatoes back into your diet. Again take it slow! Through this all time be drinking a lot of fluids. Apple juice and coconut water aid BMs. Avoid starchy foods like bread and pasta. Doing this I was back to a regular diet after about 10 days. I was back to work exactly a week after my surgery. Though it helps I work a short day at a non physical job. Another tip. Don't sit on the toilet at first after your surgery. Look up squatting. I actually stood on the seat, squatted, and did my business like I was squatting in a field. It lines up your GI tract better for a much easier release. Trust me. Oh and baby wipes. Like little pieces of heaven. I won't lie. Emptying my bowels wasn't enjoyable. But it wasn't unbearable. I bled the first 6-8 times (days) but only a couple times after that. Again, good luck.

Where do you live........they don't do laser in many places and I am interested!

How can you recommend this to anyone?.....Oh you are a doctor, that explains it all! I am so done trusting you people! You are the only ones who understand the convoluted thinking, trading one pain for a bigger pain. I am never letting another doctor touch me!! Shame on me for being so desperate that I actually trusted one of you money grubbing bastards! If I ever met a doctor who cared for their patients as much as their inflated, misplaced and undeserving paychecks, I would die of shock??!!

Your hemmies must be acting up

How long after your surgery did it take you to have a BM