Can people who have gotten the PPH surgery give their thoughts on the pain, recovery and if they feel now that it was well worth the pain to have it done.

I'm darn sure I'll be having this procedure and want to get other's thoughts and experiences. Thank you.

I was dealing with this for 9 years and finally had this done and It felt painful but I tell you it is so worth it and I would do it again to stop the constant pain just to have a short week or so of pain.
Do it it is worth the relief.
trust me you'll be glad you did. 8)

I had the PPH procedure done 3 days ago. The pain is manageable, I was given the "On-Q" pain management system but would not recommend it. It numbs the anal area but also makes it difficult to urinate and have bowel movements. Just go wtih oral pain meds that don't constipate you. I anticipate that I will be able to return to my normal routine by 7 days. Yes, it is worth it. The pain and bleeding of my hemorrhoids did not get better with any alternative or traditional (infra-red coagulation) treatments.

I had the procedure done on April 6th. The first 2 days were fine - I think all the pain meds/anesthesia they gave me in the hospital stayed with me for awhile. I did take my pain meds regularly, as well. The 3rd and 4th days post op were the worst - the pain meds helped some, but I was restless and hurting more than the first couple of days. But, after that, it got so much better - quickly. By days 5 and 6, I was only taking maybe 2 pain pills a day. Two weeks post op, I was back to doing most everything as before. Almost a month later, things are going great with only occasional twinges of discomfort. It actually reminds me of the feeling of the episiotomy when I had my child - just a "pulling" feeling - but nowhere near the pain of the internal hemorrhoids I'd had for at least 10 years! I've read horror stories on some of these sites but can honestly say that I thought the experience was as good as it could be considering where it was! I'd definitely do it again - hope that's never necessary - but it really wasn't a bad experience for me, personally.

abc123def wrote:

I'd get this done again as quick as a flash. I would not try and manage and see how they went. That made mine just slowly progressively get worse.

My surgery was last year. You can find it documented here: http://www.steadyhealth.com/viewtopic.php?t=184131&hpr=Dummies_guide_to_Hemorrhoidectomy

I hope it helps, and I hope your surgery goes well.

Just remember the rules.. fiber and no straining or pushing. Let your bowels do all the motion.

i just had my pph surgery about 4 days ago. I got into the hospital on a friday for some cardio tests then sat morning i had the surgery. i was brought up to my room after 2 hours at the recovery room. I consumed 2 bottles of IV. The doctor told me i can go home sunday but i waited till monday. They gave me 4 sitz bath before i got discharged. What was most uncomfortable after the surgery was trying to urinate and poohing. I felt the gauze the doctor put inside me rectum and he said it will just fall off when i release me bowels. I had a feeling that i won't get to pooh if i had that inside me so i pulled it off myself. It was such a relief but very uncomfortable doing it. i had to go to the bathroom and i stood up while pulling the gauze that was so bloody. All in all, the most painful part was within 24 hours after surgery. The rest i would say is just feeling uncomfortable and the paid is tolerable. I'm going on my fifth day today and i already went to work although i', still taking pain relievers and lactolose so that my bowels would be soft. It is such a relief now that i know i don't have to push anything back. Good thing this procedure was introduced to me by my doctor. Do it now and don't wait for your hemorroids to get worst.

I have found this site very helpful. I am scheduled for my pph on Monday June, 29 2009 and I am very nervous. It was calming to read some positive stories. It seems everything that I have read online has been negetive. Could anyone suggestion anything to do before surgery? I was wondering if I need to go on a liquid diet before surgery or start stool softeners? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

abc123def wrote:

I had the treatment 7 days ago and still find it uncomfortable to pooh, but as long as i have a bowl of hot water next to the toilet after poohing I am fine as this gives instant releif from any discomfort. I found the worst thing is having awful back-ache at the bottom of my spine which intensifies when having a BM.Anyway it is much better than the constant pain i felt before -hand.

abc123def wrote:

I had the treatment 7 days ago and still find it uncomfortable to pooh, but as long as i have a bowl of hot water next to the toilet after poohing I am fine as this gives instant releif from any discomfort. I founf the worst thing is having awful back-ache at the bottom of my spine

I had the PPH surgery done on Jul 14th 09 and I'm telling you that was the worst experience of my life. The pain is excruciating and who ever tells you different is lying to you. after the Surgery I could not urinate. I went home and took Vicoden for almost 2 weeks. I didn't have BM until day 3 and when I did I was screaming in pain. I could not go to work, (It's been almost 2 months now) I took a medical disability leave and I haven't been back yet. I have severe bleeding when I have a BM and am currently under an antibiotic treatment Cipro.The doc I think lied to me when he said it would only be 1 week recovery. I think they say that so you dont back out of the surgery. I am telling from you experience be prepared for some time off work, not being able to sit down, excruciating pain from your BM's, alot of hot baths, (I took so many hot baths I have lost count already) and the patience it takes to recovery from this procedure. This was absolute hell on earth for me and I will be gald when I get healed already.

Guest wrote:

It is really unfortunate that you had such a negative experience with your surgery and I'm sorry that you've been suffering with it. Can you keep us posted on how you're doing? I'd like to hear how your recovery goes. Thanks!

Hello Everyone, I posted this article about the PPH surgery on Jul 14th 09. I just want to say it got a lot better but I am still having soreness around the inside anal canal and occasional Bleeding. I must have been a unique case because it has taken almost 4 months to heal which is not really healed completely. I am still not working but I can go to work if I want. It has been a real nightmare for me of which I would consider not going thru that surgery again. It might be my age and the ability to heal but that was a painful experience.

HI...I am 6 weeks post op for PPH and still sore and painful but not as bad......in your case...are you getting beter? Any advice? Im so frustrated..thanks

Steve

Hi I had my PPH surgery oct 7 and its been 6 weeks..I am still in moderate pain around my anus and i am sop frustrated....have you gotten better yet? I was put on some antibiotics in case of an infection.....i had a review and everyhting was ok accding to dr.....he keeps telling me it will take time....well afetr 6 weeks Im getting frustrated and depressed...did your get betetr and how long did it take???
Looking forward to your response...thank

Steve

I had my PPH in june 30th. It was by far THE single most trying experience Ive ever been through. I am thinking it may have been compounded by the fact that I required a traditional hemorrhoidectomy in the same procedure as the PPH. Dont know how often that happens, but no one told me it was much out of the ordinary before the procedure.

Anyway, the doc told me i would be back on my feet and to work within two weeks maximum... possibly one week. I wasnt able to leave the house for two months due to the fact that at I really couldnt differentiate a BM from gas and either sent me walking at as fast as i could (without putting my pain into the psychotic level). That and the excruciating pain i was in.

I had a broad range of complications during this time. After the initial stay of 24-36 hours (dont ask me, i was waylaid on opiates) post op i ended up back in the ER within hours because I was in pain i could have never imagined before this experience. Spent a day there for pain control IV. Discharged. Became impacted and back to the ER at a different hospital (by then I had lost any trust I had in my original MD). At this hospital for 3 days if memory serves. The first night I passed an impaction that sent my entire body into profuse sweating... the nurse had to stand next to me to keep nudging me back onto the toilet... i wasnt sure if i was going to maintain consciousness. There for a minute I honestly thought to myself, "is this how im going to die, in some seedy looking hospital bathroom with an id**t nurse who doesnt want to call a doctor?" Death by pooping. I know, Im an RN myself but at the time I was wondering what my BP could be and if i was having a vagal response from the impaction. The sweating was pretty scary and as a telemetry nurse the only time id ever seen anyone sweat like that was when they were having a heart attack or going into septic shock. When the initial BM passed I was convinced that I had torn loose every staple that resided within my from the PPH. Over the next 24 hours I had i dont know how many huge BM's that all smelled like a dead animal was inside of me.

After I finally got home I suffered from rectal spasms that wouldnt let me have a BM. I tried going while sitting on the sitz bath. I was forced to go while laying in a hot bath twice. I came to the point i had to lay an large rectangular incontinence pad under me on the bathroom floor to have BM's because it was the only way the spasms didnt win out over the need to have a BM. I feared food and was completely vegetarian for a month. I lost 22 lbs which is a lot for me since i was very physically fit all of my life. I took all the fiber they recommended religiously. I took gas-x for all the gas it caused because gas was so uncomfortable. I lived on the couch with a the large rectangular incontinence pad under me at all times in case i didnt make it to the bathroom... or in case i was at the point where if I actually had a BM that didnt have me calling out I didnt care WHERE i had it.

I had blood in every BM for two months. I had serious to severe pain for two months. I lived on my couch for two months. I still have blood in BM's (once every couple days in a good week) but it seems to be a thicker sort for the most part as if maybe BMs are dislodging a clot. BM's are at least tolerable enough to have without making a lot of noise... im not complaining much since I can go on the toilet like a human being and i can leave the house again and work. I still feel uncomfortable about a half an hour afterwards from sweeling I would assume. There seems to be some sort of unexplained nerve involvement because i tend to have a fair amount of left lower back pain. The left was the side they did the traditional open hemorrhoidectomy on... no stitches at all were placed to close it.

I have to admit it is nice not to have anything being displaced or bulging anywhere after I have a BM now. I cant lift weights or exercise like i would like to or things seem to get irritated.

Would I do it again? Well I never had a choice in the first place because of the pain from the internal thrombosed hemorrhoid really.

Im just lucky i had a few thousand in the bank to get my by while my wife was the sole bread winner and i couldnt work. I lost a job in surgery that I had just landed in the process.

I would recommend senna for the best laxative from my experience. I took two at a time most times... alternating between one and two depending. MOM was too harsh and burned pretty bad. I did some internet research and suggested diazepam for my rectal spasms to the doctor which did help them some.

This is a pretty long story and i doubt I even covered half of it. I can answer any questions anyone has but I better get back to some things i need to do. I read these posts a lot during my recovery so i felt compelled to write at some point. I do have some good tips from experience if anyone has specific questions.