I'm a 31 year old male who underwent a traditional scalpel hemorrhoidectomy five days ago to remove two internal and two external hemorrhoids. I did a lot of research beforehand and have been very grateful that so many people have shared their experiences and tips because my surgeon, while he explained everything to me, I can't say he fully prepared me. A lot of the tips have been great but I've also stumbled across a few on my own that I never saw anywhere else that I've found extremely helpful. These tips may not be for everyone but I hope at least one person can find some of these useful since every persons situation is different and the more options you have for relief the better.

1. Forget the sitz bath and go for the handheld shower head with several settings. Lots of folks have recommended the handheld shower head but nobody's mentioned uses for the different settings! The pinpoint massage setting on mine has been great when laying in a tub of warm water. If you keep it above water and aim at the area you'll create a nice bubble effect that feels very soothing! If you put it below the water level and aim, it buffers the water pressure and just feels like a bit of a massage. Mine has a drench setting which has no direct stream of water but more like a mist setting on steroids. It's been great for cleanup just after a bowel movement without aiming a direct stream of water at all the healing wounds.

2. Use a small forced air space heater with a fan-only setting for drying off. Everyone suggests Desitin or some other cream for making sure the area stays dry and heals properly but with two external incisions I can't touch the area yet without pain. I've taken to using a small space heater to help dry off after my multiple showers/baths each day. Sometimes the heat feels good while drying but other times I've found the fan-only setting without any heat to be much more soothing -- it's just whatever feels good at the time. The only downside is it does take a minute or so to get dry down there so you'll have to stay hunched over while you're doing it. I've found it more comfortable to get on my hands and knees and just relax in a fetal-like position for a minute. As a bonus that position helps get gas out! :-)

3. ARD pads or B-Sure pads for staying clean between bathroom visits was the best tip my surgeon gave me and I've not seen any other person mention using them. I've seen some folks say they use small gauze pads but those aren't really meant to be flushed and feminine pads are just too bulky for me to want to deal with (plus being a guy I really don't want to buy them). ARD pads are butterfly shaped so they stay in position, easy to use, are both sewer and septic safe and you can't even tell you're using one under your underwear. I couldn't find these locally but if you google ARD pads, B-Sure pads, or Birchwood Labs you can find them. Surprisingly the manufacturers website was the best price I found online. These have been a life saver!!!

4. This may all be my imagination but I'm sharing this tip anyway. Gas has been a terrible problem. Not because I have any extra but because it constantly puts pressure on your rectum and my body can't yet tell if it's a bowel movement or not - so off I go to the bathroom for the fifth time in 20 minutes for a false alarm. I've taken to spending a good hour watching TV on my stomach with a pillow under my hips to help bring all the gas to the exit. It may be my imagination but it sure seems to get it all there so I have fewer false alarms later.

Hopefully these simple tips will help someone as much as they've helped me. I wish everyone a speedy and a painless as possible recovery!

Hi, Just to say that I am now Eight days after surgery and I would jusst like to say to anyone going through this that it does get better. I found that eating only hight Fiber foods, no meat or dairy and plenty of green tea has been really good. The pain while going to the toilet was at times enough to make me cry but thisd too is passing. I also found the shower head to be a good idea for cleaning. This may not be for everyone but I also meditated evry day and brought light and love into the area rather than fighting with my body, I found this to be the most helpful of all and it really did give me amazing pain relief and I do believe i recovered quicker as a result. So if you are going for this op, don't despair, be prepared beforehand and know that you will get through to the other side.

Hi

I know this is 2 years post op for you, I'm going for my surgery tomorrow and I'm terrified. After all of the horror stories I've seen online I was relieved to come across your advice. I know it will all be worth it in the long run but the painful recovery is so off putting.

Your tips sound great, I will definitely try them.

Just to let you know, it's not your imagination - I've done the pillow under the hips trick for years :D so I'll keep this in mind for the next few weeks

Cheers
Vicky

I had my surgery yesterday and the pressure in my rectum is too much to bear. Any suggestions? Did you have the same problem Vicki? I am having gas now and am so scared for my first bowel movement.

Hi
I had my haemrroidectomy 4 days ago, and today is just atarting to feel better. I was going in for a banding procedure and would be in and out of hospital in half a day. When I woke up from the general, the nurse told me I was staying the night in hospital. I was very confused but they couldn't give me anymore info.
To cut a long story short, it turned out that the haemorroids were too big to band and the surgeon decided to cut them out. I had a lot of trouble passing wind and and stool for the first 2 days. I can feel my curning, and bubbling away but nothing was coming out. When i finally came home i had my first BM (at 3.30am) and I passed a whole lot of blood. That was a bit concerning I did not expect it. Not to mention that i nowe have to buy a new toilet seat as this one is now blood stained. I was concerned but I also had a feeling it was old blood from the surgery as it was very deep dark red colour and some oif it was jelly like. like a blood clot. This happened again at about 7am and my wife called the surgeon to find out if this was normal. He said it was blood clots from the surgery, and if It doesn't stop by the next morning to call him again.

Thankfully it did stop. After 4 days I had my first normal BM with normal looking stool. I did hurt, but was bearable. I have been eating a good high fiber diet and taking some laxatives. Not sure if this is for everyone, might be too much, but it seems to be ok for me.

I'm hoping that life will return to normal sooner rather than later. I have a wife who's very sympathetic, and is working very hard to look after me, and our kids. Nver thought I would end up being a 38 year old man having wear ladies sanitary pads. BTW, I prefer Stayfree night itmes over Poise. Way more comfortable and less leakage. XD

All I can say to those who are about to have this surgery or have only just had it, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I would prefer this short term pain and suffering over living with piles, which I have done for years.

Freedom.

Is this the Hemorrhoid support group? Help! Hemorrhoid Solutions sucks!

I am on 5 day post. I never could imagine this pain on anyone. They told me I had significant hemorrhoids inside as well as 3 on the outside. The first 3 days was horrible!! The pain meds was all I could rely on and on day 3 my first bm and it was so small but so PAINFUL! The miralax or stool softeners was not working. So my husband got me some magnesium citrate and this was very helpful, but my first bm was uncontrollable and came out before I could make it to the toilet. The other 2 was bearable and the pain is still intense but getting better. I recommend warm baths, water, and no solid foods! I hope everyone with this gets better! This is by far the worst pain

Hi. Have my surgery scheduled for Friday and am terrified. So many horror stories. But I have to get this over with. Been living with this for 18 years and am now miserable. 3 internals and 5 externals. Looking forward to seeing them gone. How is your recovery coming along?

Hi all I'm on day 7 after my op. I have to tell you that the shower head technique is an absolute life saver!!! I only discovered it 2 days ago .... man iwasin the most pain a guy could ever experience.  I'm not kidding! !!  But for those who are having itdone soon ...dont worry as it is only temporary.  

These are all great tips. So much of the healing process is trial and error. I just had a hemorrhoidectomy on May 21, 2014. I am a 30-year-old male. I'm in healthy condition. I'm an Army Vet. I believe my hemorrhoids started in 2004 in Iraq. As a hmmwv gunner I spent long periods of time standing in the turret as well as sitting on an uncomfortable ratchet strap 2 inches in diameter. Throughout the years I've had episodes flareups and rectal bleeding. For 10 years I continued to eat and drink like it was going out of style. It got to the point where the situation needed to be addressed. Bleeding just from squatting down. Hemorrhoids that would pop out and stay out until I push them back in. Knife like burning and throbbing pains during bowel movements and after. So I tucked my ego in my pocket and went to the butt doctor.I was not happy with my surgeon because he did not explain everything that he did. He also drastically downplayed the recovery. I had multiple internal and multiple external's removed with a traditional scalpel. I can't begin to explain the amount of pain that I've been through. I kept a small rag in my pocket for after some bowel movements during the first week after surgery. I used rag to stuff in my mouth to muffle the screams so my neighbors would not call the police. They said to use tucks or baby wipes. Do not I repeat do not use tucks or baby wipes. It has been two weeks and I still cannot use this method. I like to have the shower handle dangling down and ready for use so you can go directly from the toilet to the tub. As our friend stated use multiple settings whatever is most comfortable for you and the amount of heat that you can tolerate from the water. Sometimes I do this only for a couple minutes and there were other times when the pain and throbbing is excessive and I feel like I have to stay on my elbows and knees for ten minutes. I too have a small air dryer fan device that I used to dry off. I didn't figure this out until later in the game. Trying to dry the area with gauze or a towel would only hurt me. Simply keeping it wet and throwing on your underwear is not a good idea either because of what was previously stated the area should not be moist all the time. I think that the moisture help me in the very beginning when the wounds and incisions were so deep and fresh. I used a compound of nefedipene and lidocaine. And then I would fold a piece of gauze and secure it the crack. My personal feeling is that there comes a point where this is no longer effective and the area needs fresh air. As far as eating habits I don't have the best I never have. What I can tell you is that the only way I can eat Metamucil is with mixing it by way of applesauce. If you're taking pain medication like I do because there are times I can't tolerate the pain be very careful not to constipate yourself. Opioids stop you up. So if you're taking them make sure you have some type of chemical concoction that consists of prune juice Metamucil milk of magnesia and soft diet blends. Passing watery stool is not fun especially with multiple trips but I can tell you from personal experience that it's better than trying to pass a brick. Best of luck to anyone out there going through this or those of you who are about to. thank you for whoever wrote this initial assessment and share these extremely helpful tips.

I'm on day 12 of recovery. Complex hemorrhoids removed. It is truly two steps forward one step back. I have had good mornings and horrible afternoons. Now I have internal swelling after bowel movements. I have read that this is swelling from the surgery. It takes hours to empty my bowels. One big B/M followed by 4 small ones and for four to five hours you feel like you have to go. I have balled up on the floor and writhed in pain during this time. Some of the cuts from the surgery have swollen up. My surgeon says not to worry. It does get better, but this problem of internal swelling has me scared. I cannot go on like this. I have my first follow up in 5 days. I am terrified that I will need additional surgery to take care of the new swelling. Lots of questions.

after 5 months how is the area now? and what did the Dr said after the follow-up?

How are you feeling now.....its my 7th post op day

I had surgery dec 18th 2014 and still having swelling bleeding lower back and leg pain badly any suggestions

Hi all, had my op 4 days ago, helps that I'm no t alone. Lol. All the comments above are valid, I'm typing while sitting on my little bowel of salt water. Going to try some ice after a shower, I have a bidet and wash with the shower after each bowel movement, it helps. Hope you (we) all do well, had mine for 30 years before the op. What a fool not to have had the procedure many years ago.