I have often wondered how much drug companies pay for a 30 or 60 second spot on T.V. to advertise their latest new drug. I would think it cost thousands of dollars per commercial. It seems as though I see at least 3 or more drug commercials per day. This seems almost obscene with the condition of our health care system. 8-|

It does cost thousand but the drug companies get that and thousand more from consumers who support them.. I am one of those few thousand who don't not support the drug companies. Herbs were here long before the pharmacy on ever corner. I get my herbs from the USA shipped to my door .. L@@k here if you would like to find pure herbs and low cost and thanks for asking this important question.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

TURBO88 wrote:

I have often wondered how much drug companies pay for a 30 or 60 second spot on T.V. to advertise their latest new drug. I would think it cost thousands of dollars per commercial. It seems as though I see at least 3 or more drug commercials per day. This seems almost obscene with the condition of our health care system. :roll:

Advertising may seem obscene to you but obviously it produces more revenue than it costs, otherwise we wouldn't have most of the TV programs many of us like to watch and that 50 cent newspaper you like to read would cost you several bucks ---- if they could even afford to print it. NASCAR would be gone along with most of the sports we like to watch. So obviously it produces revenue.

However, I do remember a time when drug companies were NOT allowed to advertise. Congress changed those laws some years ago, and somebody had to vote for those people in Foggy Bottom, who decided they should be allowed to advertise.

Is it better that they advertise so you know about the products they have to offer or would it be better for them to sell their product only by providing incentives to doctors to prescribe their product? Do you think that would get you the best drug for your condition, or the one that's best for the doctor's retirement plan?

Of course there is another possible scenario behind the reason for our representatives in Foggy Bottom wanting them to be able to advertise. A large percentage of those pols are ex-trial lawyers. Trial lawyers make millions sueing drug companies. Would it not make sense that they would want those drug companies to be able to earn more money by allowing them to advertise, thereby keeping their "golden goose" in good health?

There are many ways to get drugs at reduced prices, but you have to look for them.

I get several of mine from the VA for a small copay. Anyone who is honorably discharged from the US military can apply to the VA for the very minimum of prescription medicine. The VA doesn't have every brand name drug or even the generic for it. For several years I had to get Prilosec locally because they didn't have it. They do have the generic now. Lipitor is another one they don't have yet. They use Simvistatin but I have found that much cheaper at an on line pharmacy in Ohio. $36 for a year supply of 80mg.

I got Lipitor for free for many years by being in some of Pfizer's drug studies.

I'm surprised that no mention was made of the significant savings you can reap by purchasing your medications from a Canadian mail order pharmacy. Yes, you have to be careful in who you order from, but the regulations for pharmacies in Canada are just as strict, if not stricter than what there is in the US. The savings are huge, especially for brand name prescription drugs. Canada has a form of price control so savings can range from 30 to 80%. Many of my friends that I've directed to a Canadian pharmacy, thank me time and time again. You can order up to a three month supply for your personal use.

Americans should ask why Big Pharma fought so hard to squash a bill that would have allowed the re-importation of drugs from Canada?