Hi everyone,

I am suffering from agoraphobia which is a type of an anxiety disorder, as I'm sure that you already know. I was doing my best to cope with this but I am failing hard and this is the worst that I have ever been since I have found out that I am suffering from this disorder.

I am wondering if anyone here knows how can I recover from agoraphobia and anxiety disorder, please tell me something that I don't know already, I am in desperate need of a good advice, I hope that someone can tell me what to do.

Resident

Well, basically the things that you need for treating anxiety disorder and/or agoraphobia are medications and psychotherapy. However, I always tell people to avoid medications at all costs because they harm you as well, that's why these are called drugs. 

Psychotherapy should do the trick, you need to start seeing a psychologist as soon as you can and I can guarantee that if you find a good psychologist, you will no longer have problems with these disorders, if you are strong enough to fight these disorders, of course. Your psychologist will decide whether or not you need to take some medications.

Resident

Lifestyle changes can help a lot when it comes to treating agoraphobia and anxiety disorder. Eating healthy is very important so if you are not eating healthy currently (there is more to eating healthy than you would assume), then you can start with that.

After that, you need to start exercising, you need to be active. I would suggest running as it helped me through some really rough times. Exercising is good for both your mental and physical condition. I am sort of against medications but if you really need to use them, then I guess that you should, but talk to your doctor first.

I am definitely not eating healthy food, that's for sure. I actually eat a little and when I do eat, because I am too lazy to prepare some quality food, I usually just order pizza or something. It is going to be hard to change this and I don't really know if I want to change this, I like my eating habits.

When it comes to running, I can try, but I don't think that I'll get too far. I am not in a good shape for running but I guess I can give it a try, and I will certainly start seeing a psychologist.

Celebrity

Hello there.

The good thing is that agoraphobia is actually a very treatable problem indeed and any doctor will confirm you this. But, many people find it very difficult to overcome especially because they tried to overcome it alone, without any help. You should also know that this is generally because they think the way out is to first find a way to get rid of their fears, and then re-enter the situations they have come to avoid. So, once you find out what is your problem and what is the main cause of your fears, it will be much easier to overcome it.

Celebrity

I am also definitely against the medicines but we need to face the fact that sometimes they are the only thing that can help us. The main agoraphobia treatment based on Cognitive Behavioral methods that can definitely help you overcome Agoraphobia with two key steps. First step that is very important is for you to learn how to respond to panic attacks.

Once you learn this, you will know how to calm down yourself.

That is definitely one and maybe the best way of the treatment.

The second is to learn how to response while you are having those attacks. 

Celebrity

Good day guys.

Here is one story.

One lady that I know was fighting against agoraphobia for 20 years. Yes, for 20 years. Anxiety panic attacks - those things were part of her ordinary day. And she told me that she have tried so many medications, but nothing really helped her. It did, of course, but temporarily. And that is not a solution.

So she focused on healthy life and some activities in her life, such as running, jogging, walking. She also started to write a journal about this and it really helped her. She noticed patterns when she is having those attacks and she was kicking out everything that made a damage to her. 

Every recovery is different. I know a lot of people who were healed because of the medications and non diet program, healthy lifestyle or healthy way of living were not able to help them. But again, like I said it depends. We are all different. I was struggling with it and I will never be able to forget the first attack that I had. I didn't know anything about this but I did knew that this thing won't destroy my life. So, the firs thing that I did - I educated myself about anxiety. After I found out what this is, I went to see the expert, the specialist and I told him about my problems. After this, I made some goals in my life. I didn't want to be home (I lost my job because of those attacks) so I accepted volunteering. It saved me. When I was not volunteering, I was jogging. I want to tell you that I have tried to make my day complete. And trust me, I was much happier and this anxiety disorder started to disappear.